Old 09-09-2002, 08:08 AM   #16   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Actually your eyes degrades to a certain points and then it hardly change anymore. I have been wearing glasses for the past 14 years and been looking at a computerscreen for 12 of those years. In that time I only had to change 4 frames(broke two of those and one is just oldfashioned big). Right now I work behind a laptop which brings with it a very confortable TFT screen, only beef I have with it, is that colors aren't what they were like with a CRT and I can't seem to get the contrast level to suit my taste.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:55 AM   #17   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Butters
Do you wear glasses raymojo?

I went for a 19" CRT and as appealing as it sounded back then, I didn't forsee that I'd be in front of the computer as much as I am now. Its made even worse because I have a small table and this thing is so huge that the keyboard must fit right in front of the monitor so I can't really sit back at all. I only really realised the strain on my eyes yesterday and sitting this distance isn't going to improve my eyesight any. Now I'm actually considering getting an LCD, but that may not happen for a while yet. I'm looking at the Samsung 152T, but probably consider it when the prices go down. Until then I'll just say hi to my optomitrist.
now that i'm in front of my pcs for my paid work alot i also invested in an LCD... a Samsung 152T because the 172T isn't available

i got mine from www.pluscorp.com.au for AUD$895 + 20 shipping + 15 insurance = AUD$930

if you want I can put you in touch with the sales guy at pluscorp

Old 09-09-2002, 01:56 PM   #18   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by eva2000
now that i'm in front of my pcs for my paid work alot i also invested in an LCD... a Samsung 152T because the 172T isn't available

i got mine from www.pluscorp.com.au for AUD$895 + 20 shipping + 15 insurance = AUD$930

if you want I can put you in touch with the sales guy at pluscorp

... btw what's the conversion rate between AUS and US, and do you miss the larger screen sizes?

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:59 PM   #19   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIam

... btw what's the conversion rate between AUS and US, and do you miss the larger screen sizes?

SamIam
AUD$1 = US$0.54 - 0.55

before this 15" lcd i have been using 15" CRT (13.8" viewable) monitors with 800x600 since 1996 when i got my first pc

so it's a welcomed change and alot easier on my eyes
Old 09-09-2002, 04:12 PM   #20   [permalink]
raymojo
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Butters
Do you wear glasses raymojo?
I'm actually one of the few in my family who doesn't need glasses. My vision is still extremely good, even after years of staring at computer screens.

I too have the keyboard/desk problem. I have just learned to make use of the 5cm resting space between the keyboard and edge of the desk.
raymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:34 AM   #21   [permalink]
Butters
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Butters
I just shifted the entire table forward by about 20cm to allow the monitor back. Switch from 1200*1024 back to 1024*768

This should hold me for a little while, but I still feel my eyes are getting worse O_O
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2002, 08:05 AM   #22   [permalink]
StramiT
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to StramiT Send a message via AIM to StramiT
I got my LCD a few weeks ago.... all I can say is... ---- this is the life.... anyone who is bitching about gamma and games... all I have to say is what do you smoke? I have been as good as ever at my online gaming and the monitor is brighter then my CRT... mine had about 3 dead pixels when I got it.

I love it... and so do my friends who called me daft for getting one!
StramiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2002, 03:56 AM   #23   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
i'd prefer LCD than CRT monitors.

it was the day, i visited my friend's house. he's rich, got T3, best computers i've seen (even faster then most servers i saw in my life ) and he had a giant LCD TV connected to his ASUS V8460 Ultra (yes, he ordered the damn thing as soon it was published). it was SOOOO sweat! then he showed me the smaller LCD monitors, which was still excellent. only 1 dead pixel out of them all (lucky bugger )

after seeing all that, i came back home and looked at my CRT monitor. it hurt, really. there was the tiny tingling sensation at the back of my eyes when i saw my monitor after seeing the LCD ones. so IMHO LCDs are better than CRTs.
Old 16-09-2002, 04:13 AM   #24   [permalink]
Butters
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Butters
An LCD monitor would only have a few dead pixels right? Bah, my eyes are getting worse, I'm sure if I got one, I wouldn't be able to notice lol
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2002, 10:03 PM   #25   [permalink]
raymojo
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by StramiT
I got my LCD a few weeks ago.... all I can say is... ---- this is the life.... anyone who is bitching about gamma and games... all I have to say is what do you smoke? I have been as good as ever at my online gaming and the monitor is brighter then my CRT...
Your CRT can't be very good then.

If you spent as much money as you did on the LCD, you could have gotten a CRT that was bigger, had better gamma, better contrast, better brightness, no response times, wider viewing angles, and supported multiple resolutions.
Obviously image quality is a subjective issue, but it is difficult to argue with statistics.

And if refresh is an issue for you, I suggest running at a 120Hz.
Old 16-09-2002, 10:33 PM   #26   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by raymojo

Your CRT can't be very good then.

If you spent as much money as you did on the LCD, you could have gotten a CRT that was bigger, had better gamma, better contrast, better brightness, no response times, wider viewing angles, and supported multiple resolutions.
Obviously image quality is a subjective issue, but it is difficult to argue with statistics.

And if refresh is an issue for you, I suggest running at a 120Hz.

Ditto!

... although, I am thinking that you might have meant "no lag in response times"

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2002, 11:14 PM   #27   [permalink]
raymojo
Forum Junkie

Yeah.

While an LCD does not have a refresh rate like a CRT, it does have a very slow response time, which a CRT does not have at all
Old 16-09-2002, 11:46 PM   #28   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah.

While an LCD does not have a refresh rate like a CRT, it does have a very slow response time, which a CRT does not have at all
not with newer LCD mons.. mine has 25ms
Old 17-09-2002, 12:04 AM   #29   [permalink]
raymojo
Forum Junkie

Not bad, but still only 40Hz.
Old 17-09-2002, 02:46 AM   #30   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

Quote:
Difficult, but ultimately irrelevant.