Old 28-11-2004, 03:29 AM   #1   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

random resetting.

ack, my new pc has a problem. after running fine for 2 months, it now resets itself at random. this is a hard reset as if the reset switch had been pressed. it happens in all OS, but lilo (boot loader) doesn't cause any trouble. When turned on cold, it runs for a few mins before resetting, but when hot it can't even finish loading to the desktop. creating load seems to cause the reset to happen earlier. it's been pretty hot here (~37C), so i'm guessing something is a bit hot. but the highest i've seen the bios hardware monitor shows the cpu is 55 and the mobo at 49. gpu 52, vid ram 55. i would assume that if the cpu overheated it would turn itself off rather than resetting. memtest86 3.2 runs with no errors (untill the reset). does an overheating mobo cause resets like this? would the power supply be pushed past its limits? the case has 3 fans and is open atm. any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

p4c 3.0 (stock heatsink/fan)
asus p4p800-deluxe
1024 corsair twinx c2 ram
asus raedon 9600xt
sb audigy 2 zx
2xwd 160 7200 sata (raid0)
wd 120 7200 ide
antec truepower 430watt
2x dvd burner
fasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2004, 03:40 AM   #2   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
I would so not trust the motherboard's thermometer unless you modified it to work at highest accuracy. And 50+ throughout the system definately looks troubling. Get some fans, get rid of dust and CLOSE THAT CASE!! Cases are designed to let air flow in only one way, so opening it maybe seem cool but makes most of your fans spin without a reason. Other than that, it collects much dust when it's open.

Otherwise, it's all the simple. Two fans to suck in at the bottom front, through the hard drives, and two fans at the back to blow the air out, near the CPU. Another one that sucks on the side panel for your graphics card maybe, and another one that blows at the top of the case.

Good luck. You'll need it.

[edit] 430W for a PSU is overkill. My 250W works fine with more junk than yours, although quite hotter than other PSUs.

Last edited by GuGuEaTeR; 28-11-2004 at 03:43 AM.
GuGuEaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 02:41 AM   #3   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

okay, it seems to be running okay now the weather has cooled to below 30. the case was only open to adjust hardware, it was closed before the problem began.

i think a new case is needed. or maybe some airconditioning : )
Old 29-11-2004, 06:14 AM   #4   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

or maybe not.
it seems the ram is failing again.
Old 29-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #5   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

For RAM, use memtest86 to test it. Sorry, my ISP's DNS is borked and I thus cannot give you an URL address. Memtest86 is popular enough so you'll find it easy.

How big is your case anyway? If it's too small then there's your problem.

[edit] Google != ISP's DNS

Last edited by GuGuEaTeR; 29-11-2004 at 09:45 AM.
GuGuEaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #6   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

thanks, i have been using memtest quite a lot since i got this computer.
it runs fine for 12 hours at 2.5,3,3,6, but fails test 5 about 200,000 times per loop at 2,3,3,6.
since it is meant to be tcas2 ram that was tested as a pair, it isn't up to scratch. this will be the second set of ram i've had to send back : (

my case is reasonably large - 43cm tall x 48 long x 20 wide.
Old 29-11-2004, 08:49 PM   #7   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

I hate bad RAMs. Don't you?

Anyway, just make that airflow. Keep the flow free of obstructions, such as cables. I usually use those plastic strap things (don't know what to call them) to tie cables together, and use the rounded cable for all IDE needs.
Old 29-11-2004, 10:25 PM   #8   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

definately. considering it cost me a good $100+ more than anything else in the box, it's a bitch when it fails. at least corsair seem to care about their reputation and are willing to help. i'll be buying some round IDE cables today, and another fan or two. i'm guessing you mean "cable ties". wonderful things : )

thanks for you help.
Old 30-11-2004, 12:38 AM   #9   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

No problems, I like helping others. Kinda gives me a reason to hang around AB. That and I have nothing to do these days anyway.
Old 14-12-2004, 07:09 AM   #10   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

follow up : ram replaced again. still acting strange at cas2. maybe mobo trouble.
i got a new case with holes and a plastic mesh all over it. 6 fans; 1 in front, 2 in side, 2 out back , one out top. fear the harmonics!
cpu/mobo at 37/36, but it's only about ~20C atm
Old 14-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #11   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Perhaps it IS the motherboard... even though doesn't seem likely since ASUS is a solid upper-class brand.

How about just living with CAS 2.5 then?
Old 14-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #12   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by fasad
ack, my new pc has a problem. after running fine for 2 months, it now resets itself at random. this is a hard reset as if the reset switch had been pressed. it happens in all OS, but lilo (boot loader) doesn't cause any trouble. When turned on cold, it runs for a few mins before resetting, but when hot it can't even finish loading to the desktop. creating load seems to cause the reset to happen earlier. it's been pretty hot here (~37C), so i'm guessing something is a bit hot. but the highest i've seen the bios hardware monitor shows the cpu is 55 and the mobo at 49. gpu 52, vid ram 55. i would assume that if the cpu overheated it would turn itself off rather than resetting. memtest86 3.2 runs with no errors (untill the reset). does an overheating mobo cause resets like this? would the power supply be pushed past its limits? the case has 3 fans and is open atm. any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated.

p4c 3.0 (stock heatsink/fan)
asus p4p800-deluxe
1024 corsair twinx c2 ram
asus raedon 9600xt
sb audigy 2 zx
2xwd 160 7200 sata (raid0)
wd 120 7200 ide
antec truepower 430watt
2x dvd burner
You probably have a hardware overheating problem ... Asus boards (I have P4800-E deluxe) ... have a neat built in feature ... if you overclock and go beyond the capacity of your cpu ... the system will automatically reset for you (no hassles with jumpers - or less anyway) ... this also occurs if there is overheating ...

You might want to analyze and upgrade your case and cpu cooling hardware ... I recommend 120mm fans and definitely a higher performace cpu cooler. ... be sure to use Artic Silver 5 ... that alone increases the efficiency of your cooler.

Your psu sounds like it should be sufficient the Antec Trupower is among the best on the market ... although I tend to prefer to run 480s or above (but that is in many cases overkill).

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2004, 05:41 AM   #13   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

this is the THIRD set of corsair twinx ram that failed at CAS2 on this mobo. i have to say i am very pleased with the guys at the store i bought it from for their fast help. apparently i'm the only one who has ever had a problem with corsair.
what next? could the cpu be the cause, or is the mobo the only possibility?
asus tech support isn't good : (

i would be content to run at 2.5 if i hadn't paid big $$$ for the extra speed during the memory shortage earlier this year. fwiw, according to memtest86, the difference in transfer rate is almost 10% (1673mb/s vs 1830mb/s). i dunno about that though.
Old 15-12-2004, 06:03 AM   #14   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Such performance increases is barely noticable. But whatever floats your boat.

It could be your motherboard, your CPU, or the RAM again. Feel like flashing your BIOS or updating it?
Old 15-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #15   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Perhaps I don't know enough about the topic, but it seems highly unlikely that the RAM is at fault if you've had some of the highest quality stuff on the market go bad 3 times on you.

I'm thinking Main board is the culprit, but I've never really understood electrical issues in computers. Gugu, would you be able to educate me on what the different voltages translate to and how they affect my computer? Or is there a good resource I just haven't found?

EDIT: Am I reading those temps correctly? Aren't those all pretty close to the maximum recommended operating temps for most computer components? I was under the impression that most PC components were supposed to run at or below 40 C.

EDIT 2: I also just read recently that AMD published a paper that indicated it might actually make a PC run hotter to have intake fans in the front. I haven't read it myself and it may be AMD specific, but they've shown that exhaust fans are more efficient for cooling than intake fans.

Last edited by Hiigaran; 15-12-2004 at 02:35 PM.
Hiigaran is offline   Reply With Quote