Old 16-06-2003, 10:09 PM   #1   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Spirtied Away - Madman DVD

Who has picked up their Spirited Away goodness?

Just got the 'limited edition' in the mail yesterday and stayed up late watching it. First up Madman put a &^%$^ sticker on the box which required some deft finger work to get off without destroying the case, GRRR! At least itís not as bad as Gamingnation stickers.

The DVD looked OK to me so as for these unforgivable levels of quality that it supposedly has, I didn't see any evidence of it.

Still I tried manually searching all the tracks and changing angles etc etc but despite my efforts it looks like although Madman put in the Jap end credits and intro into the Jap version, the title Spirited Away does not appear in Jap via angle options like it did in the US release - crap! Also changing language/subtitle options more than once via the menu stuffs it up giving you English with subtitles when what you really want is the Jap DTS track etc.

As for the 45min making of, very interesting to watch it even with very biased commentary by the narrator! There are several scenes where the narrator is describing how the director in consulting with his staff being level headed/kind etc when on screen you can see a visibly angry Miyazaki being down right insulting to his staff.

Despite the flowery narration the making of provides great insight to the whole process of making the movie and gives you an idea of the sheer human toll it took on the staff down at Ghibi to get it done. Don't miss the great line of why not ship the animation to Korea

Thatís about it. I'll just take this opportunity to say buy the DVD you mug!

Last edited by MrBS; 16-06-2003 at 10:11 PM.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 04:42 AM   #2   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

I already had the R2 last year, but I still bought the Madman Limited Edition anyway (although I haven't opened it yet).
mrgazpacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 05:55 AM   #3   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Ack! I still havent got around to buying the DVD. Ive seen the special edition around at them music CD stores eg Sanity.

So they have got rid of this infamous red tint yes?
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 11:50 AM   #4   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

The tint is absent in this transfer.
Old 18-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #5   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
I heard somewhere that it was still there, but I can't say that I noticed it. So I'm not too sure on that. What I found annoying was the amount of Japanese Spirtied Away Trailers on the Extra's Disc. They just kept going and going. But at least I can say I saw them all. Now I'm under the understanding that it's suppose to be limited to 10,000 Special Edition Copies, so how come I'm seeing them everywhere. Boy I wish that they'd number limited edition stuff.
Old 19-06-2003, 12:12 AM   #6   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Yeah I was pissed it wasn't numbered and watching all the jap trailers was a real test of endurance 28mns worth if I'm not mistaken and about the use of 4mins of footage across all of them it was very hard to tell one from the next most of the time.

I guess the trailers coupled with the making of made me appreciate just how important the 'no face' character was to the movie, at least in the marketing anyway. It just didn't seem that important to me when I saw Spirited Away the first time.
Old 29-06-2003, 02:05 AM   #7   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Well I have finally got around to getting a Limited Edition Spirited Away boxset, I'm suprised they are around.

Im with you MrBS damm that sticker on the box! They could of put it on the plastic wrapping. But I have to say the box looks great I love how it folds out so purty and the nice blue DVDs =)

I havent got around to watching the DVD, its sitting there looking nice but finally after half a year of waiting I can finally finish the end of Spirited Away!
Old 29-06-2003, 08:17 PM   #8   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

Oh that's right you were at the screening which caught fire, weren't you?
Old 01-07-2003, 03:06 AM   #9   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Yup ... ohwell atleast I have finally finished the movie.

Also thing is I dont have a DVD rom so I cant see these study notes thats on the extras dsic. So wondering can anyone copy those and upload them somewhere or send them to me please.
Old 30-07-2003, 05:56 PM   #10   [permalink]
purpledust
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to purpledust Send a message via MSN to purpledust Send a message via Yahoo to purpledust
I would like to buy a box set or Ltd. edition something of it; i just saw this movie for the first time today and fell in love with it...

My Naked Soul
purpledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:05 AM   #11   [permalink]
Id0
Executive Member

Whats a good price to buy the LE... the places i've seen it... its so expencive... $37.95...
I dont think i can affored to pay that much for a single anime movie... SE or not...
Perhaps i'll get myself the normal version... unless i see the SE for a reasonable price...
Id0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 AM   #12   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Id0 c'mon! Are you really going to get the standard version to save $7-10?? SE is worth it.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #13   [permalink]
Id0
Executive Member

Is a makeing of realy worth paying 25% more...?
I'd pay a little more... 10% more... its just the principle of it... i'd be happier putting that $10 toward my next DVD...

Just because they add a DVD with a couple little things dont mean i gotta swollow it like a midless zomby... i'm an anime fan yes... but we all gotta be smart about these kinds of things...

If i spent all my money on LEs and the latest releases i'd ahve half the amount of anime i own now... if i was rich... sure no limits... but we all ahve budgets and i like to stick to mine...

I am spending this on myself... and hey if i wanted this for a present for someone else i'd get the LE... but if its for me... i feel bad spending more money than i should/could...

Thats my take on it... ^_^;
Id0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #14   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

I've heard Target have been selling the LE for about $33.