Old 20-04-2003, 09:45 AM   #31   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Likkle Baer
Many people won't watch subtitled films at all (not just Japanese stuff) and I find this amazingly odd and can only assume that such people are either incapable of reading the subtitles or too lazy to do so.[/B]
For what it's worth, I entirely agree with you. Good fansubs will even include a note to explain obscure references that wouldn't otherwise be understood by foreigners ("side dish" in Chobits, for example).

If we are confronted by something we don't understand because it is a foreign concept (while watching a foreign film, duh!) then there are two options - either explain it to us (= education, increased understanding of another culture), or remove it beforehand to avoid confusion (= insular, ignorance, don't want to know about other cultures).

I'll stop there before I get accused of America-bashing again.
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 12:10 PM   #32   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to APF
It's not a damn sub vs. dub thread!

Quote:
Gryshnak
For what it's worth, I entirely agree with you. Good fansubs will even include a note to explain obscure references that wouldn't otherwise be understood by foreigners ("side dish" in Chobits, for example).

If we are confronted by something we don't understand because it is a foreign concept (while watching a foreign film, duh!) then there are two options - either explain it to us (= education, increased understanding of another culture), or remove it beforehand to avoid confusion (= insular, ignorance, don't want to know about other cultures).
I agree with you. Fansubs are very often superior to real subs in that they will explain obscure references like this. What would be cool is if anime companies would maybe write their own standard subs, and then maybe license fansub scripts as a secondary sub for those who prefer it. And as long as I'm fantasizing, I'd like a pony...
APF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 12:18 PM   #33   [permalink]
SenshiNaka
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to SenshiNaka Send a message via Yahoo to SenshiNaka
Quote:
Originally posted by APF

I agree with you. Fansubs are very often superior to real subs in that they will explain obscure references like this. What would be cool is if anime companies would maybe write their own standard subs, and then maybe license fansub scripts as a secondary sub for those who prefer it. And as long as I'm fantasizing, I'd like a pony...
That would be cool... tho pony i mean
SenshiNaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2003, 01:49 PM   #34   [permalink]
Likkle Baer
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to Likkle Baer
Gryshnak - thank you thank you thank you - it was beginning to seem a bit like talking to a wall in here

APF - essentially it IS And, I don't see why YOU should get a pony when no-one ever gave me one

Its really a shame that the Japanese production companies don't release all their anime with English subtitles in Japan because then we could just import it from there ^_^ Sadly a lot of anime isn't released in Japan for many years because its shown on TV such a lot - they've only just brought out fabulous box sets of DBZ but no English subs *cries*
Old 23-04-2003, 08:22 AM   #35   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by APF
It's not??? Okay, it's a sub vs sub+dub thread, is that better?

If there are three versions available for the next anime DVD you purchase:

- sub only
- sub and dub
- dub only

and all three were the same price and contained the same extras, which would you buy? Why?

I prefer subs every time, so I would buy either the first or second. Someone who prefers dubs would buy either the second or the third. Given that the retailer has limited shelf space and can probably only stock one version, what possible reason could anyone give for not putting version 2 on the shelf? Ditto with the distributor - if they can put both subs and dubs on the same DVD, they're not going to bother with any other variations.

DVDs contain both versions, and we should all be thankful for that.
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #36   [permalink]
Destructa
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Destructa
I'd prefer buying it sub only. I rarely even bother with watching the dub.
Destructa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2003, 08:53 PM   #37   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Quote:
Originally posted by Gryshnak
If there are three versions available for the next anime DVD you purchase:

- sub only
- sub and dub
- dub only

and all three were the same price and contained the same extras, which would you buy? Why?
Sub and Dub, sure I prefer subs but what if the dubs are much better I dont think Im going to go out and buy the dub only because I bought the sub only.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2003, 08:42 AM   #38   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
no matter what, I only watch subs anyway, so no difference. I would gladly buy sub-only DVDs if they came out earlier, even if they cost the same. Seriously, for me, the dub track only takes up space in the DVD and is usually ignored. (Actually, I hate changing the sound around, in case I accidentally hit onto the dub track.)

BTW, Japanese companies releasing DVDs with English subtitles would probably be not a good idea. Engrish galore! (unless they hire official japanese/english-educated translators, in which case it would open up a job market in Japan). In any case, the DVDs in Japan are expensive.

It would be even better if subs-only DVD were cheaper (and I think they should be considering that a dub costs more). Heck, subtitles can be put in by a team of 5 within the space of a few weeks. (One person can do it too, but its slower.)

Subtitles were expensive on VHS tape because they had to reprocess the video with the subtitles embedded. For dubs they just had to overlay the audio track. And like they said, the dub actors were given bad pay.

Now, for DVDs all they need to do is translate, time, and then put the subtitles into the VOBs or whatever. Dubbing is now considerably more time/money/resources-consuming than subbing.

So I would support any move to release sub-only DVDs for the advantage of time/money.
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:10 AM   #39   [permalink]
Bradster
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Bradster Send a message via MSN to Bradster
Quote:
Originally posted by Project Akira
Apparently you have no idea about ADV's business practices. They released a few series as sub only on DVD, the most notable series being Nadia.

If you're talking about 'ADV Fansubs' (Nadia, City Hunter, and two others, IIRC), they were subbed-VHS only when they first came out back around 1999, because it was ADV's experiment to get the product out to fans as quickly as possible. I can assure you that the DVDs are biling.

Now, the Sakura Diaries DVDs are sub-only because they restored footage that wasn't included in the VHS tapes, which left big gaping holes in the dub track.

The thread question itself: no, I wouldn't buy sub-only DVDs, even if I could turn the subs off for the clean video I need sometimes.

HK fansubs: avoided unless I absolutely need material from the series and it's not available Stateside yet. I don't care about price, since the quality is usually crap.

(This thread resurrected temporarily due to a link leading me to it from another thread...)
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2003, 10:10 AM   #40   [permalink]
kusinagi-kun
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to kusinagi-kun Send a message via Yahoo to kusinagi-kun
just have to throw my 2c in...

i think having the sub/dub combo is something a lot of fans can unite over.

henceforth, all DVDs will have it because it's one product that serves both fanbases. i can see where a company might get kinda greedy and try to do it one way (dub) and then charge a lot for the other way (sub) or vice versa. [just like they did for VHS...]

but i don't know why anyone would have chosen just one... i mean, i watch a series both ways to determine which way i like better. i don't have a twitch that just says "what? it's subbed? oh! well, i won't bother, then." or even the other way around...

in other words, it's a matter of personal preference

Last edited by kusinagi-kun; 14-10-2003 at 10:14 AM.
kusinagi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:27 PM   #41   [permalink]
Jecca-neko

Originally Posted by icie
BTW, Japanese companies releasing DVDs with English subtitles would probably be not a good idea. Engrish galore! (unless they hire official japanese/english-educated translators, in which case it would open up a job market in Japan). In any case, the DVDs in Japan are expensive.
Not really. I own the R2 (Japanese) DVDs of Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke. They were excellent subtitling jobs, done by Studio Ghibli themselves. I got them back when CDJapan was running their "buy Nausicaa and get another Studio Ghibli DVD for cheaper" sale. That made them both equal out to being the price of a US anime DVD at SRP plus shipping.

As for sub-only DVDs, sure. I have the Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R boxsets ADV did. I'd like to buy Cardcaptor Sakura but it's so long and I'm not sure if I want to spend that much to collect the whole series and then buy the movies too. I don't typically watch dubs so it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by Jecca-neko; 11-01-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Jecca-neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #42   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

i'd only purchase sub-only if they had more special features and content taking up the space the dubs would've occupied on the disc.

dubs are virtually useless in my opinion, but i still prefer to have every option available.

(i.e. i'm fine if there's only a sub-only release available like Millenium Actress, for example, but if there's a version with more content, i'd prefer to own that version. variety is good.)
Old 12-08-2004, 03:34 PM   #43   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

Originally Posted by icie
Japanese companies releasing DVDs with English subtitles would probably be not a good idea. Engrish galore! (unless they hire official japanese/english-educated translators, in which case it would open up a job market in Japan). In any case, the DVDs in Japan are expensive.
the original Japanese release of Saishuu Heiki Kanojo also contained quality subs.

that's a very illeducated remark. i know many Japanese native speakers who speak better English than most English native speakers.

besides, Japan has prettier art boxes =P
Old 15-08-2004, 02:24 AM   #44   [permalink]
Shadow War
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow War Send a message via AIM to Shadow War
The Japanese DVD's are so expensive compared to US and Australian DVD's. You might get a fancy box, but most have no extras at all(ghibi ones have english subs)

The have on average less episodes per DVD than Western DVD releases and some cost up to $60 aus, for sometimes 1 episode and no extras.

I found that western DVD's have more choice and are cheaper than Japanese DVD's. Maybe sometimes the quality of the picture is better on Japanese DVD's, but it is hard to notice.

dub and sub is the best option, because it might cost too much to make 2 or 3 versions of a DVD.

For the Record I have the original FLCL DVD set from Japan(Picked up in Akiba) and there is 6 DVD's and only 1 and 2 have any type of extra. At least they have English subs from DVD 2 onwards. But to pay about $40 for each DVD, that is unbelievable!!
Shadow War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 10:46 AM   #45   [permalink]
sunset

Thumbs up

Im allergic to pretty much every dub Ive ran into (theyre usually quite bad anyway...), so Id support the sub al the way.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote