Old 31-05-2002, 10:02 AM   #1   [permalink]
ClefFSChan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to ClefFSChan
Popularity of MKR

How come nobody ever watches Magic Knight Rayearth? I mean, some ppls do, but it just doesn't seem that popular... I mean, its a great series, its my favourite....try and give it a chance sometime.
Old 31-05-2002, 01:18 PM   #2   [permalink]
Fireflystar
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Fireflystar
I *did* give it a chance. The anime version bored me, I'm sorry to say, but I was actually happy that the episode was over so I could get to the next episode and have that be over as well
It's probably the fact that I don't care much for the maho shoujo genre anymore, unless it involves some deep intricate storyline and the characters are strangely unique.

With Rayearth, we're just given the same old same old. Girly-girl,genious,tom-boy/goofy girl. ... -_- I actually liked the manga I read of MKR but not enough to buy it. Makona's still a cutie though. And CLAMP does wonderful work, but I suppose MKR isn't unique enough to have *a lot* of popularity. Considering the amount of publicity it has had,that's the only reason I can think of.
Old 31-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #3   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
It really just depends on the viewer's particular taste in anime. Now, personally, I've never seen Magic Knight Rayearth- I've only seen the theatrical trailers for it. Looked interesting, but I've heard a lot of bad stuff in the past, so I really doubt that I'd spend my money on buying a DVD that I'd probably end up disliking.

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
AnkaraStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2002, 02:21 PM   #4   [permalink]
Adriel

Send a message via AIM to Adriel
MKR is a pretty old series, by anime standards. It had a decent following when it was only available as a fansub, but these days that type of fantasy magical girl stuff has pretty much been done to death. MKR really offers nothing that hasn't been done in another shojo anime (or CLAMP series...), anyway.
Old 31-05-2002, 02:29 PM   #5   [permalink]
Siberian

Send a message via AIM to Siberian
Well I thought MKR was fairlypopular... almost everyone I know has at least heard of it if not watched and liked it... As for myself I only saw the first few episodes. What I saw was ok but it really didn't strive me to wanna buy more or anything... obviously since I don't have it all lol
Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2002, 03:30 PM   #6   [permalink]
ClefFSChan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to ClefFSChan
Quote:
but these days that type of fantasy magical girl stuff has pretty much been done to death.
Well, shoujo hasn't been killed yet....Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon is still going VERY strong, at least here, since there is TONS of merchandise. Another one, Wedding Peach, is still fairly popular while Saint Tail is rising. But, Evangelion is now taking over, which I cannot understand because it doesn't intrest me one bit
Old 31-05-2002, 04:47 PM   #7   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

I watched it. The entire first season. The reason why I sat through the whole thing still eludes me.

Its such a turrble series. I just couldn't stand it.
Old 31-05-2002, 06:29 PM   #8   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Maybe some (a lot, many, most, all?) who watched the trailers and ads for it reacted with as much violent nausea as I did after hearing the English title theme song.

I haven't seen a single ep of the series. I have no opinion of it.

[Moving to the MKR forum.]
Drizzten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2002, 06:59 PM   #9   [permalink]
Fireflystar
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Fireflystar
Quote:
Originally posted by ClefFSChan

Well, shoujo hasn't been killed yet....Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon is still going VERY strong, at least here, since there is TONS of merchandise. Another one, Wedding Peach, is still fairly popular while Saint Tail is rising. But, Evangelion is now taking over, which I cannot understand because it doesn't intrest me one bit
Shoujo is nowhere near dead. *Maho Shoujo* or Magic Girl anime/manga is getting there..
Yeah,SM is still going strong not because of merchandise but because it's probably the best Shoujo ever made (I'm biast..^_^; ) but it's popularity here is due mainly that the Australian fans are just now seeing the S season on t.v.
Wedding Peach..that's...popular? Where? Hell?
Where are getting that Eva is taking over? NGE is probably older than MKR,I don't hear anyone mention that series anymore..don't even see much merchandise for it a cons either.

And if Evangelion doesn't interest you one bit, then why is your Avatar Misato from Eva?
Old 31-05-2002, 07:30 PM   #10   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzten
Maybe some (a lot, many, most, all?) who watched the trailers and ads for it reacted with as much violent nausea as I did after hearing the English title theme song.
That's definitely the all-time worst English anime song ever recorded.

I don't know, Rayearth seems popular enough to me...and really, Hiigaran, you're the only person I've ever heard of who hated the series. Just about everyone else I know of has either liked it or passed it off as simply mediocre.

As was said in a previous "Why Isn't MKR Popular?" thread, it hasn't been aired on TV in the US, and that has a lot to do with it.
Old 31-05-2002, 08:29 PM   #11   [permalink]
fireguy
---------

Send a message via ICQ to fireguy Send a message via AIM to fireguy
I would say MKR is quite good. I very much enjoyed its feel and atmosphere that it created for the viewer. I have watched both TV seasons and read the manga, the only thing I haven't done is watch the OVA series.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote