Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 10:03 PM   #1   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MDWigs Send a message via Yahoo to MDWigs
Common mistakes people make about Eva.

Hello everyone. I am new to this board, but definitely not new to Eva. I just wanted to know where everyone is at in their Eva knowledge on this board and if any common misconceptions still abound.

Alright so here we go; the following have all be proven, if you disagree with me, then I can show you why they are true. As most of these proofs were constructed in an effort to counter misconceptions people have, most of them are "disproof's", that is something did not happen...

This list is as follows:

(1) Misato did NOT kill Kaji.

(2) Touji did NOT lose an Arm

(3) Naoko Akagi's soul is NOT in Eva-00

(4) Naoko Akagi's actual brain is NOT in the Magi.

(5) Rei is B]NOT[/B] an Angel. Her body was constructed from the remains of Yui salvaged from Eva-01 and her soul came from Lilith.

(5) All the children are NOT born 9 months after and/or were NOT conceived on the day of the Second Impact.

(6) The correct terminology is NOT 3rd Child, 2nd Child, 1st Child, it is 3rd Children, 2nd Children, 1st Children.

(7) The First/Great Impact did NOT kill off all the dinosaurs and did NOT cause the great flood of Noah's arc.

Those are the main ones that people get wrong. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just hope to find out where the discussions are at on this board, and there are way to many back posts for me to search through, so I thought this would be a quicker and easier way for all. The above points have all been conclusively proven and are taken as fact by the majority of knowledgable Eva fans, though if any of you still want to argue one or more of the points then that is fine.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old 04-08-2001, 10:11 PM   #2   [permalink]
ShigeruAoba52
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to ShigeruAoba52
Re: Common mistakes people make about Eva.

Quote:
Originally posted by MDWigs

I think most of us know that.

Quote:
(7) The First/Great Impact did NOT kill off all the dinosaurs and did NOT cause the great flood of Noah's arc.
[/B]
But then what was the 1st Impact?

"You possess a false body and a fake soul."
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami to Rei Ayanami, Evangelion Episode 25
Old 04-08-2001, 10:17 PM   #3   [permalink]
Dastafarin
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dastafarin Send a message via AIM to Dastafarin Send a message via Yahoo to Dastafarin
Well, you really have no right to say any of that because there is no direct proof of any of it. It is speculation and nothing more.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:29 PM   #4   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Keep in mind I am just checking to see what people know and don't know. I am glad that most know Misato didn't kill Kaji ^_^

(7) It is written in Episode 7 that it was the collision that created the Moon 4 billion years ago. .Just after the scene with Gendou discussing to some man, you can see a document entitled "Second Impact to so no ato no sekai" ("Second Impact and the world after Second Impact"). Have a look at this document closely and you will see the truth.

Dastafarin What don't I have a right to say? Depends what you mean by a "direct proof". Sure Anno never comes out and says "The First Impact did not kill off all the dinosaurs", but then he showed that it happened 4 Billion years ago, and there were no dinosaurs around back then... There are very few things you can prove directly in Eva, but a Logical Proof is the next best thing, and those I listed above can all be proven that way.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
Old 04-08-2001, 10:35 PM   #5   [permalink]
Dastafarin
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dastafarin Send a message via AIM to Dastafarin Send a message via Yahoo to Dastafarin
Then state that is what you believe. Saying "This is what happened and that is that" is not a way to start posting in message boards because it sure doesn't get ppl to respect you. Don't get me wrong. I'm not mad, just pointing out your flaw over this. Most of those I agree with. Not saying I don't. But some I think are wrong.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:41 PM   #6   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Note that most I am saying "This is not what happened and that is that. " If you want to argue over any of them then I look forward to the discussion. However I have aruged these countless times before and again though you can't state directly that they are true, if you follow a logical reasoning then you will find that they are. Logically if the First Impact happened 4 billion years ago, and there were no dinosaurs 4 billion years ago, then the First Impact didn't kill off the dinosaurs... We don't need that spelt out for us do we?

People will gain or lose respect for me depending on the quality of my posts. I am trying to gain insight into this board, to find people here whom I could respect. As I said, if you don't agree with me on some points, state those points and I will do my best to show my reasoning.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:09 AM   #7   [permalink]
random1377
Forum Elite

Location: In a dark, angsty corner, loathing myself for all my failures.
Send a message via ICQ to random1377 Send a message via AIM to random1377 Send a message via Yahoo to random1377
Re: Common mistakes people make about Eva.

Boy I love a good discussion! See my comments on yours below:

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am new to this board, but definitely not new to Eva. I just wanted to know where everyone is at in their Eva knowledge on this board and if any common misconceptions still abound.

Alright so here we go; the following have all be proven, if you disagree with me, then I can show you why they are true. As most of these proofs were constructed in an effort to counter misconceptions people have, most of them are "disproof's", that is something did not happen...

This list is as follows:

--- Correct. Anno has said this flat out. It was a memeber of NERV intelligence, which Misato is not a member of.

(2) Touji did NOT lose an Arm
--- No, he didn't.... but he DID lose a leg. When they pull him from the plug, both of his arms are visible... but in the hospital bed, you can clearly see that one leg (his left) is gone.

(3) Naoko Akagi's soul is NOT in Eva-00
--- Prove this. I'm begging you. Quite honestly, I don't think you can.

(4) Naoko Akagi's actual brain is NOT in the Magi.
--- Correct. Her PERSONALITY is the basis for the operating system, but the acutal brains were grown in a tank or some such. The fact that the Magi were complete BEFORE she died should be a big hint that it isn't her acutal brain matter. That and the fact that she spread said brain matter all over the Magi when she killed herself.

(5) Rei is B]NOT
an Angel. Her body was constructed from the remains of Yui salvaged from Eva-01 and her soul came from Lilith.
-- Correct. Though few people think she is.

(5) All the children are NOT born 9 months after and/or were NOT conceived on the day of the Second Impact.
--- Correct. But they all were born AFTER Second Impact.

(6) The correct terminology is NOT 3rd Child, 2nd Child, 1st Child, it is 3rd Children, 2nd Children, 1st Children.
--- Depends on if you're watching the dub or the sub. In teh dubbed version, they clearly call them first, second, and third child.

--- I can't recall or find any data on this, other than the Red Cross book's brief mention that it happened 4 billion years ago. I would imagine that it is the start of life on earth

Those are the main ones that people get wrong. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just hope to find out where the discussions are at on this board, and there are way to many back posts for me to search through, so I thought this would be a quicker and easier way for all. The above points have all been conclusively proven and are taken as fact by the majority of knowledgable Eva fans, though if any of you still want to argue one or more of the points then that is fine. [/B]
I agree with most of your points, but I would LOVE to see you prove that Naoko's soul is NOT in Unit 00.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:41 AM   #8   [permalink]
ShigeruAoba52
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to ShigeruAoba52
Re: Re: Common mistakes people make about Eva.

Quote:
Originally posted by random1377
I agree with most of your points, but I would LOVE to see you prove that Naoko's soul is NOT in Unit 00.
I totally agree with Random. This was me and my friend's first instinct because when Unit 00 goes berserk in an early episode, it tries to kill Rei within the Eva and it tries to kill Gendo. And Naoko has perfectly good reasons for killing both of them.

"You possess a false body and a fake soul."
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami to Rei Ayanami, Evangelion Episode 25
Old 05-08-2001, 12:51 AM   #9   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

(3) - Generally the _only_ evidence that people bring up to support the fact that Naoko is in Eva-00 is where Eva-00 goes crazy, in Episode 05 and Episode 14. In Episode 05 Ritusko says that the cause is "Mental instability in the pilot". In Episode 14, when Shinji is doing cross compatibility with Eva-00. When Shinji gets into Eva-00 he goes:

Shinji: I feel something strange.

Maya: Do you feel any incompatibility?

Shinji: No... I mean, it smells of Ayanami...

Later on in the Episode when Shinji connects properly this is said:

Ritsuko: A10 Nerve connection started.

Announce: Harmonics Level plus 20.

Shinji: Ah, what's this?
Something's directly entering my mind. What is it?
Ayanami? Ayanami Rei? It's Rei, this impression is hers.
Ayanami? Isn't it?

Misato: What's wrong?

Announce: Pilot's nerve-pulse is irregular.

Maya: Psychological contamination taking place.

Ritsuko:Impossible! This plug depth could not trigger that.

Maya: No, it's not from the plug. The invasion's from Eva.

So the problem is comming _from_ Eva-00, from Eva-00's soul, Shinji recogises the presence as an "impression" of Rei.

Later on Ritsuko says that Eva-00 attacked her "without a doubt".

It is these two scenes that most people use as "evidence" that Naoko is in Eva-00, I can't understand it, she isn't mentioned at all, and what happens is unlike anything she would do. I have my own theory about Eva-00's soul, but as I said all I am doing is disproving that Naoko's is in it.

What evidence do you have to show that she is?

(5) Yes they are all born after SI, in fact Asuka is 13 when the series starts.

(6) The correct usage is Children. In the dub version they incorrectly use Child. They are wrong. GAINAX clearly use Children in the original series and in every publication that have released on Eva. It is supposed to be Children but ADV got it wrong.

(7) See above where I explain where the info about the First Impact comes from.

Alright so there we go.

Re: Eva-00: Once again it is a disproof in responce to "proofs" that some people have offered that Naoko is in Eva-00. Put forward your "evidence" and I will show why it is incorrect.

Last edited by MDWigs; 05-08-2001 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2001, 01:20 AM   #10   [permalink]
random1377
Forum Elite

Location: In a dark, angsty corner, loathing myself for all my failures.
Send a message via ICQ to random1377 Send a message via AIM to random1377 Send a message via Yahoo to random1377
Quote:

Re: Eva-00: Once again it is a disproof in responce to "proofs" that some people have offered that Naoko is in Eva-00. Put forward your "evidence" and I will show why it is incorrect.
<shrug> *I* have no proof one way or the other. but you said that it had been proven without a shadow of a doubt that she is definitely NOT. I would like to hear your proof.
Old 05-08-2001, 01:28 AM   #11   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

It is a logical dis-proof. It negates all the "evidence" that people propose saying that Naoko is in Eva-00. This is Eva and anything is possible, it just comes down to what is probable. I can't prove that a copy of Gendou's soul isn't in Eva-00, no one can. However a great many people think that Naoko is in Eva-00, and I am able to disprove all the evidence I have seen so far that they put forward to prove this statement. Once again it is a disproof, not a proof as such.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:07 AM   #12   [permalink]
Maccy99
Forum Addicted

(5) Rei is B]NOT[/B] an Angel. Her body was constructed from the remains of Yui salvaged from Eva-01 and her soul came from Lilith.

I may be new to Eva science but I've seen the series quite a few times and this doesn't seem right. If Kaworu is an angel, and he said to Rei, "You are just like me" then that means that he is a husk with the soul of an angel. And that makes him an Angel. And if Rei is a husk with the soul of an angel doesn't that technically make her an angel too?
Old 05-08-2001, 04:33 AM   #13   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Kaoru has Adam's soul. - Proof: See Redone Episode 24
Rei has Lilith's. Proof - Too numerous to count, EoE.

Adam is the progenitor of the Angels.
Lilith is the progenitor of Humanity.
Proof for both of these: See Redone Episode 24, SEELE talking to Kaoru.

Rei's body was created from the salvaged remains of Yui - Proof: Numerous references in the series plus straight out definition in the EoE Theatrical program.

Kaoru's body was created from something/one.

Ok so Rei has a body clone/created from a human (Yui) and the soul of Lilith.

Lilith is the progenitor of humaity, Lilith is basically the mother of all humans. So Rei has a human body and the soul of the mother of all humans. You don't get much more human than that.

She isn't an Angel.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:26 AM   #14   [permalink]
StramiT
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to StramiT Send a message via AIM to StramiT
Quote:
Lilith is the progenitor of humaity, Lilith is basically the mother of all humans. So Rei has a human body and the soul of the mother of all humans. You don't get much more human than that.
But remember that Lilith is defined as an Angel even though she is the progenerator of all mankind. This point as well as many of your others relates on your point of view.

And as for the child/children thing it makes absolutely NO difference at all...
Old 05-08-2001, 05:37 AM   #15   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Defined by who? There are various "lists" of "Angels". When I say Angel I mean those beings who came from Adam.

Re: Child/Children thing. Sure there is a point to it. Gainax/Anno intended to use Children. It was a purposeful decision on their part, probably referring to the fact that the First was in fact Children, not Child. Rei was the First Children. In the original Japanese version it was Children and it was changed incorrectly in the ADV version.
Closed Thread