Old 02-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #1   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Dr0nak Send a message via Yahoo to Dr0nak
Post TechTV Summer Anime

I don't remember seeing any mention of this yet, so I thought I'd bring it up for anyone who's interested. A recent TechTV e-mail newsletter announced that there would be three new shows coming to Anime Unleashed this summer.

(1) The SoulTaker, a 13 episode series premiering June 24 at midnight.
(2) Gate Keepers 21, a 6 episode series premiering July 16 at midnight.
(3) Boogiepop Phantom, a 12 episode series premiering July 28 at midnight.

From the descriptions the newsletter had, SoulTaker and Boogiepop Phantom sound pretty good, but I'm not so keen on Gatekeepers 21 right now probably in part because it's a sequel and the original isn't airing first. I've also heard a little about Boogiepop Phantom before this and it seemed interesting, but wasn't going to consider it until after I watched Lain. I haven't watched Lain yet even though TechTV has aired it already because I have it on DVD and wanted to wait a while before watching that. (As interesting as it sounded, watching Lain right after Evangelion seemed like a bad idea so I'm on Love Hina right now instead.) The nice thing about the AU shows is that they have their own blocks and there's only one show in each one; that makes it a whole lot easier to tape and I'm doing so for most of the stuff they're showing. And more anime on TV is always good -- I can find out whether or not I like the show before spending money on it and if I like it enough I might go and spend money on the DVDs anyway. Anyway, I thought some others might be interested in know about the new shows coming to TechTV's Anime Unleashed programming this summer so there you have it.
Dr0nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #2   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Boogiepop Phantom is a pretty tricky series. I found it more confusing than Lain and far more so than Evangelion. It was interesting, but expect a lot of whut tha hell...? moments and reviewing.

I know nothing about the other two.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:54 PM   #3   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
they're all good, GK21 is great, only if youve seen GK though. as for Soul Taker, its dark and...different, rich in background, its pretty good though
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #4   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Dr0nak Send a message via Yahoo to Dr0nak
Yeah, the general talk on the TechTV Anime Unleased message boards is that they're all pretty good shows. I'd rather see the original Gatekeepers before seeing the Gatekeepers 21 sequel though, maybe that's why I'm not so keen on it right now. I'll probably tape, watch, and save it because it's so short that it would only take up one more tape, but it just doesn't seem as cool as the other two to me. SoulTaker does sound kind of dark. The ending line of the TechTV summary says, "The 13 episodes of 'The SoulTaker' combine a rich, baroque visual style, grand action sequences and a futuristic mystery that takes our hero through many twists and turns as he learns about himself." As for Boogiepop Phantom, I've heard before and on the board that this is another mind-trip anime kind of like Lain is. APF mentioned it to me before and IIRC said that it sort of tells the same basic story from like 3 or 4 different characters' viewpoints, but you don't get them all in a row, the story kind of bops around. Actually the summary line says, "Like 'Serial Experiments Lain,' 'Boogiepop Phantom' is a complex and fascinating puzzle the viewer must piece together." It does sound interesting and knowing it's a mind-trip like Lain, I'm expecting to be confused and that rewatches will probably be necessary. I'll just have to make sure I don't watch Lain immediately before or after Boogiepop Phantom airs on TV -- I kind of prefer to have my viewings of intentionally confusing anime spread out a bit so that I can watch something else in between. Thanks for the comments about the shows.
Dr0nak is offline   Reply With Quote