eva2000
Administrator

Question

Access
NERV-Technician
(4/30/00 11:34:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All
Question about Rei
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well we know Rei is part angel and is caught all up in the process of instrumentality, because she becomes the giant of light, so she is a key part in 3rd impact. But still something baffles me, as everyone went splat and turned to LCL, Rei's were around everybody collecting their soul, notice one never appeared before Auska, thats because her soul wasnt collected.

But at the start of Ep1 Shinji sees Rei, then disappears. Now some have suggested this is psychic ability on Shinji's behalf, but I see no evidence of that. Rei did not appear to collect souls and at the time Rei really was in hospital so it was only a projection of her image. At the end of EoE when Shinji and Auska are lying on the beach next to the Dead Sea (Where all life formed -NB: Death is the beggining of new life, hence the name) Shinji turns his head to see another Rei just looking like the one as the start. The series began and ended with the same incident of Rei looking at Shinji, I don't understand why, I know it is significant but I dont know why.

Is it because of some connection with Yui, or Rei's subconsious aware that Shinji is going to make the ultimate sacrifice for mankind and wished to see him. Maybe it was Rei's subcousious warning Shinji of his challege ahead then at the end to signify that it is trully the End of Evangelion. Does anybody know the significance?
Access

Edited by Access at: 4/30/00 11:34:27 pm

The Nondescript
EVA-Pilot
(5/1/00 3:24:18 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Imigary... is this word spelled right?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that it is simply imigary on the part of the director. The sudden appearance of Rei is like a forewarning of the significance of her character, before we even meet her. The final appearence gives the story a cool symmetry and connection to the start. It is significant but in accordance with my afore mentioned philosophy to Eva I can't give a good answer , just more questions. Here's one:

Where is the Cap?

Access
NERV-Technician
(5/1/00 3:28:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Imigary... is this word spelled right?
I would more think warning on the importance of Shinji rather than that of Rei.
Access

A T h 401
EVA-Pilot
(5/2/00 12:11:22 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Question about Rei
There is another way to see it, but it is somewhat deterministic.

You could consider the life we see as rememberance. That the entire series is Shinji looking back (during Third Impact) in order to know where is going.

So what we see is real, and there are undeniable aspects of sincronisity.

ATh

Access
NERV-Technician
(5/2/00 4:24:01 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Re: Question about Rei
Im intrigued tell me more, but at what level do you mean it is real, Rei was in hospital while she was seen at the start.
Access

A T h 401
EVA-Pilot
(5/2/00 11:42:35 pm)
Ok first thing you will have to do is forget about linear time (of course this should be easy as scientific investigation has pointed to evidence which suggestes that time is far from linear)

Taking this for the Perspective of Shinji Rei was right there on the street, but only for a second, after that she was in the hospital (weather or not she was also in the hospital at the same time is not something we can say for sure, though it is likely as when Shinji learns of Rei's existance (his conscious mind that is) she is severly hurt, so His unconscious and Higher Mind would go back in time and place her in the hosptial (where she should be), simply because this would ease the conscious mind. Of course the Unconscious Mind already knows about this when Shinji sees Rei on the street

getting confused???
abandon the concept of linear time like i said before.

Again, Jung spoke of this as sincronisity (ive just changed the spelling (becuase i suck at spelling )

So this scene is happening not only in retrospect but also at the time of its Happening. Both aspects are independant but also singular, they happen at different times but also simultaneously (quantum mechanics and theory have put some good work into this type of perspective of reality)

(as always ive left a great deal out, normally for you all to think for yourselves, but i can go further into this if you want, though it will begin to get a bit jumbled as i descend deeper into the pit of my brain)

ATh

Access
NERV-Technician
(5/3/00 3:17:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Well...
Interesting but I believe highly unlikely.

3foolishmen
EVA-Pilot
(5/3/00 6:01:15 pm)
Another take: Ockham would probably have said it was simply foreshadowing.

Access
NERV-Technician
(5/3/00 6:59:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
Oh I see what you mean now, yes Foreshadowning, that surprisingly is a popular theory, but I still seem to find it unlikely. But I guess I only understand the concept at a primitive level.
Access

Pen2
EVA-Pilot
(5/5/00 5:14:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
I think we went over this before didn't we ATh? back in the olden days........ anyway that's a very different answer to the one you gave earlier. changed opinions? (i'm still struggling as much now as i was then anyway)
----"Gyaaa" -Penē

A T h 401
EVA-Pilot
(5/5/00 10:52:09 pm)
not really changed, but a little more indepth.
The first time i brought this up i was telling it from the perspective of the front (linear time ways) this time im telling it from the back.

But it would change over time, i suppose it has slightly already. nothing wrong with that, a revised perception.

ATh