Old 09-08-2002, 04:30 AM   #1   [permalink]
Mad Hellian
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Mad Hellian Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Hellian
Mcfarlene Toys

Ok let's try this again...I find his figures to be very detailed, not to mention durable.So anybody else that LIKES Mcfarlene please post your thoughts.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:23 AM   #2   [permalink]
The cruel angel's thesis
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via AIM to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via Yahoo to The cruel angel's thesis
Just a tip.. when a thread is closed, one generally does not up and 'try it again'.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
jackal
Forum Master

Well I'm not a big fan of McFarlane myself (like PA I know too much about his public side) but I did like his figures ever since he started and then it went into a dip... why? Well he started churning out statues more and more as time went on and so all I was buying in the end was cheap soft vinly figures.

He did a nice job with Kaneda on the bike though although I thought he should have resculpted the whole thing the second time (the first one was made small so it could fit into the blister packaging which had to keep to a standard size). The second one only had a resculpt of the leg rest area to fit his leg in (because it was the wrong scale) which totally redesigned that part of the bike which was a little annoying.

The MGS2 figures are pretty well done and with especially of Snake and Solidus (Solidus easily being the best fig imo) and they were pretty well articulated. Getting all of them to make the MG Ray is also worth it too as that is a well made figure on it's own.

If you want great looking sculpts and great anime figs, go to the masters.... www.kaiyodo.co.jp these guys obviously inspired by McFarlane Toys in the sculplting dept. and they do even better in alot of cases AND these figs usually have more than 15 points of articulation each!

Well that's about it... Yeah...I know a bit about figs...

Last edited by jackal; 09-08-2002 at 01:44 PM.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:26 PM   #4   [permalink]
Mad Hellian
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by jackal
Well I'm not a big fan of McFarlane myself (like PA I know too much about his public side) but I did like his figures ever since he started and then it went into a dip... why? Well he started churning out statues more and more as time went on and so all I was buying in the end was cheap soft vinly figures.

He did a nice job with Kaneda on the bike though although I thought he should have resculpted the whole thing the second time (the first one was made small so it could fit into the blister packaging which had to keep to a standard size). The second one only had a resculpt of the leg rest area to fit his leg in (because it was the wrong scale) which totally redesigned that part of the bike which was a little annoying.

The MGS2 figures are pretty well done and with especially of Snake and Solidus (Solidus easily being the best fig imo) and they were pretty well articulated. Getting all of them to make the MG Ray is also worth it too as that is a well made figure on it's own.

If you want great looking sculpts and great anime figs, go to the masters.... www.kaiyodo.co.jp these guys obviously inspired by McFarlane Toys in the sculplting dept. and they do even better in alot of cases AND these figs usually have more than 15 points of articulation each!

Well that's about it... Yeah...I know a bit about figs...
Well I went to the English index, saw some thumbnails of the, and they dont look half bad.I clicked on "Action Figures", but it took me to this page that read "now preparing stay tuned in!" so I guess ill try going to the Japanese part of the site to see if it does the same thing.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:28 PM   #5   [permalink]
Mad Hellian
Forum Addicted

ehhh well it was worth a try, I cant navigate through the Japanese part of the site since im no expert at their writings.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:33 AM   #6   [permalink]
jackal
Forum Master

once you get intp the main menu and pick english, scroll down to the bottom where you see MOKA gallery and click on that, then another screen should load up and then just click on that action figure link.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:04 PM   #7   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

The evangelion action figures are the stuff. I also heard that the McF Trigun figures were basically copied off Kaiyodo's which is still better.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:58 PM   #8   [permalink]
Mad Hellian
Forum Addicted

Kaiyodo are indeed good, they're on the same level as Mcfarlene in my book.Kaiyodo only does Anime though, Mcfarlene has tons of lines, but that doesnt make them better it's just what makes them more recognized I guess.I wonder why Kaiyodo hasent done any Vampire Hunter D, or some Wicked City.

Last edited by Mad Hellian; 10-08-2002 at 03:59 PM.
Mad Hellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:35 PM   #9   [permalink]
aREIzing
Executive Member

wow, there are some awesome looking boogiepop phantom action figures on there.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:20 PM   #10   [permalink]
tfcreate
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to tfcreate
McFarlane....

These are some of the best figures made. Part of the problem with them, however it they can be really expensive. I had some of the limited edition Spawn, and it almost cost me my left-..... well, it cost alot!!
TFC
Old 11-08-2002, 04:16 PM   #11   [permalink]
jackal
Forum Master

Another company got the rights to D and this other company (can't remember the name) is making a 12 inch figure along with statues. Wicked City I have no idea, I don't think anyone ever made anything for it aside from maybe reskin kits..(???) but that's just a guess.

Well Kaiyodo only generally focuses on anime and old live action classics as it's their field. McFarlane on the other hand is trying to get as many muti media licences as he can (which is not an entirely bad thing) and cause he can afford to I guess .

And usually you'll find that it's very rare for a company from Japan to be handling proporties from over seas (especially very expensive and well known properties) unless if it has a unique fanbase (like Nightmare Before Christmas is very very big over there and there is a company that makes collectors figures in Japan from the movie).

Ah the old "which Trigun fig is better" Well that is a tough one actually since both of them had concept sketches made by Nightow himself and he would have wanted them quite differently.

Personally I do like the Kaiyodo version better only cause it's a revamped version (all the Kaiyodo Trigun figs have been revamped) and I can put him in more than 3 poses

Regardless, the McFarlane one has more detail and is closer to the anime and has a more accurate looking gun. But again, it does come down to what figure appeals to you more.

And TFC, when you buy something with 'limited edition' pasted all over it, be prepared to pay for the price

The following are my own photos (for an assignment) done in a very cool manner. Take a look

*all hail kaiyodo! all hail!* lol
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg kaiyodotrigun.jpg (66.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-01-2004, 04:43 AM   #12   [permalink]
Mad Hellian
Forum Addicted

Mcfarlene desperately needs to put out a Captain Jack Sparrow figure, that would kick all ass.