Old 14-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #1   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Shingetsutan Tsukihime

Yes yes, another new series. This was the third (and last) of the Oct. animes that I was looking forward to, and I finally got around to watching it.

So far, it has quite the intriguing mystery and compelling story. It's got all the elements in your typical high school romance comedy anime: A geeky looking main character, who's got a bad memory. Who's also weak in the body. Who's also got a sordid family past. Who's also got a rowdy "best" friend.

Except, this isn't a romance comedy. For one, it's got vampires.

With the first episode, I'd have to say that I'm greatly interested. All the stuff thrown out there in the first ep. makes me really want to know what's going on. That's a good thing. My only regret is that this series is only 12 ep. long, therefore it may not go as deep as I would like it... or it will try to go deep and end up feeling incomplete.

Meh, I suppose I can't judge anything until I see more.

Here's the info
Old 15-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Vampires? I'm a sucker for vampire anime. Maybe I'll have to try this one after all. Hn, and here I thought there wasn't anything else good to look into.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2003, 10:18 PM   #3   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

**SPOILERS, probably**

Okay, I just saw the first episode. What the heck is going on? Even though I read the info on it that you posted, it was still kind of bizarre. But bizarre is good and interesting, and hopefully something gets explained later. For awhile, I thought the hero was some kind of homicidal maniac, and even now I'm not sure he isn't. Those pink-haired girls freak me out, and who is Ciel really?

The first episode has me hooked. I think I'll watch more of this one.

By the way, what does "shingetsutan" mean?

dheu

Last edited by dheu; 15-10-2003 at 10:20 PM.
Old 15-10-2003, 11:44 PM   #4   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to APF
I watched this one, it looks promising. I wouldn't really call it a vampire anime, though.... I don't really know what I'd call it.

I definantly want to see more.

Also, I heard this was made from a game. Does anybody know more?
APF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #5   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Yea, it was based on a game. For what kind of game it was, I have no idea. I just caught a snippet about it. It was actually a news post about a poll taken about all the new Oct. releases. One of the questions asked which anime do they anticipate the most. Tsukihime was at the top of that list.

I should note that the majority of those that were involved in the poll were male. This was part of the reason I had anticipated this anime. I figured, if a bunch of guys in Japan wanted to see this (and I can presume those same guys played and enjoyed the game), then it's got be at least decent. I should emphasize that that was only a SMALL part of my reasoning.

Anyway, yea, as of now (one episode), I wouldn't particularly call it a vampire anime. It just has, to a slight degree so far, vampires in it. I didn't feel like elaborating on that part because, well... there really isn't too much I can say about it right now.

edit:

My limited knowledge of Japanese (i.e. Babelfish) tells me that the kanji for "shingetsutan" is "true month [something]". Worthless Babelfish refused to translate the last character.

The first character in the kanji for "shingetsutan" was translated as "true". "Shin" in Japanese can mean "true" but it also means "new" when it is used as a prefix. Therefore, I'll assume the first part of "shingetsutan" is "new".

The second character in the kanji for "shingetsutan" was translated as "month". This second character is the same as the first character in the kanji for "tsukihime". Seeing as how the kanji for "tsuki" can also be "moon", it is logical to assume the second character in the kanji for "shingetsutan" is also "moon".

In conclusion, I have supremely deduced that the first 2/3's of the kanji for "shingetsutan" would have to be "New Moon". For the last 1/3 of that title.... the hell if I know.

Anyway, that's all I have. I only bothered to post this irrelevant info because I was curious myself and that's what I found out in about 10 minutes. I refuse to spend anymore time than that.... although, I think it took me about 10 minutes to write all that up, ergo, I spent 20 minutes on this useless thing. Bah.

Last edited by oppa; 16-10-2003 at 06:30 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2003, 09:18 AM   #6   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Just finished watching the first episode. I am definately intrigued by what I saw and interested to see where this actually heads to.
I am also somewhat confused. Like when Tohno went to the park and killed the vampire, yet when he was back at his home, no signs of blood on his coat or knife?? I wonder if Ahika knows something. To only confuse me more, the end of the episode shows that the vampire Tohno supposedly "killed" is still alive? He messed her up pretty good, but she is still looking good as new. I am looking forward to the next episode, definately!!
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #7   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ok, the second ep. made so much more sense. I was afraid that the whole anime was gonna be like the first ep. They threw in so many scenes w/o explaining anything. Thankfully that wasn't the case with the second ep. Now I have a much better notion of what's going on.

And I can say, almost officialy, that it IS gonna be about vampires (and the like). Hell, I could even call it a vampire anime (but don't expect something like Vampire Hunter D or Hellsing... at least not yet).

All in all, I'm definitely gonna keep following this one. It's just too hard to say 'no' to vampires, even if the vampire aspect may not be prominent.
Old 20-10-2003, 07:55 PM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Yeah I agree. Episode 2 made alot more sense! But what gets me though is that she was sliced into 17 pieces by Tohno, yet she's still alive. She must be a special breed of vampire. Hmm...nothing else really stood out to me in the episode besides some questions being answered and some heavy-duty action going on. The Black-Beast looked pretty cool. Definately must-see anime!
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2003, 10:40 PM   #9   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

I thought it was weird that he chopped her up and she came back, yet she's somehow expecting him to kill the vampire opposition. Maybe she is some kind of special breed.

Episode 2 was a lot easier to follow, that's for sure. It's still interesting, and there are a lot of questions I want answered, like what's up with Shiki and who Ciel really is. I'm going to have to keep watching this one. The opening animation is interesting; I think the opening theme really follows the mood of the show. Kinda pretty. During the opening, they show this one guy for a split second that reminds me of Alucard.

Oh, and "Shingetsutan". I looked it up too. "Shingetsu" is "new moon" or else "crescent moon", but I couldn't get the "tan" translated at all. The Saikou group translates it as "True Tale of the Moon", so the "tan" must be a kanji for "tale", although I couldn't find that particular kanji in any of my books. If that's what it is, then wouldn't a closer definition be "Tale of the New Moon"? Who knows, I'm no Japanese scholar.

dheu

Last edited by dheu; 20-10-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 21-10-2003, 01:28 AM   #10   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to APF
The way I see it translated is "True Moon Chronicle". Shin can be either new or true; If I knew the kanji, I could say which.
APF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 02:30 PM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Here's a page with the kanji on it. For people who can't read Japanese, "shingetsutan tsukihime" are the big green kanji in the middle.

http://www.neowing.co.jp/Listups/ani...tsukihime.html

dheu
Old 23-10-2003, 03:52 AM   #12   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
Really, "Shin" has quite a lot of meanings in Japanese. But if I were to just look at the kanji and translate it using Chinese standards, it would be True Moon Chronicle, one of the more common translations floating around. Again, Shin can be New or True. I'm not sure if, when coupled with tsuki (Moon) it is defined as New Moon. But I will base myself on the Kanji (which is the same as would be used for Shinjitsu "Truth/Reality") and choose True Moon Chronicle for translation.

I must comment though, that the art for the anime is much much better than that of the game, which was of doujin quality.

It was an adult game, I think. But massively popular.

The music is very good as well, with haunting piano and the occasional passionate violin. Looking forward to the OST.
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 01:49 PM   #13   [permalink]
Shax
Forum Master

I'll go with the Chinese standards with 'True'
Anyway does anyone knows how many episodes does this anime have?
Shax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #14   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Re: Shingetsutan Tsukihime

Quote:
Originally posted by oppa
My only regret is that this series is only 12 ep. long, ...
Old 23-10-2003, 02:57 PM   #15   [permalink]
Shax
Forum Master

oops

Hmm... is it just me, or does it seem that Ciel is a vampire huntress or something similar? She reminds me of Anderson from Hellsing thanks to her weapons, and the book she's holding here could be the bible or some holy book at least.