Old 10-01-2004, 11:44 PM   #1   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

Voices of a Distant Star

Bought it this morning. All up I thought it was pretty poignant and a nice little story, however at only half an hour long I thought it pretty short for a one off OVA. It could probably have been a bit longer, with a greater explaination of the original relationship between Mikako and Noboru. It's clear they like each other, but it wasn't made clear whether they were actually boyfriend/girlfriend or just two kids who liked each other a lot. And a bit more time spent explaining the backstory wouldn't have hurt either.

Also, did the directing at some points seem to be very reminiscent of NGE or is that just me?
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:59 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I thought it was excellent as is. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember getting the impression that they were actually boyfriend/girlfriend-close, even though I don't think it was said outright. I don't think it really matters if they were boyfriend/girlfriend or if they were just close friends. The caring between them still exists. As for the backstory, I disagree. I don't think more was necessary at all. This is just a mood piece discussing a relationship stretching across a great distance. I don't think it was meant to have clearly defined characters and plot.

As for the direction, it might be reminiscent of NGE to you but it wasn't done by the same guy. The person who made this was an animator from some company working on his home computer. I don't remember his name but I'm certain it wasn't the director of NGE. It's interesting that you think they're similar, because I never got any sense of that when I watched it. Maybe I'll have to see it again.

For more threads about this, do a search on either "Voices of a Distant Star" or else "Hoshi no Koe". I think there have been a handful of other threads talking about it.

dheu

Last edited by dheu; 11-01-2004 at 12:00 AM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:05 AM   #3   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

i have this dvd sitting on my desk... haven't had time to watch it as yet
Old 11-01-2004, 01:24 AM   #4   [permalink]
Timon
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
Hah, havn't had time to watch Voices of a Distant Star, that's kinda funny...

The DVD also has a short black and white animation the guy made before Voices, nice too (specially if you have/like cats). And an interview with the guy that made it all. Pretty amazing really.

I guess at times it might seem like NGE, but the only parts I can really think of are maybe some of the action sequences. Very fluid and detailed.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:31 AM   #5   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
borrowed it, saw it, loved it. 'nuff said.

oh wait, i still have to return it...
Old 11-01-2004, 02:56 AM   #6   [permalink]
Neo Evangelion
Executive Member

I bought it at Anime Expo 2003 on a whim. I basically picked up the DVD, went "what's this?" and paid for it. I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't realize how short it would be. I think when I bought it, I expected it to be a new series or full length animated movie I haven't heard of. Oh well, I don't regret getting it. Booyaka.
Neo Evangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 01:55 AM   #7   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
I saw this over at Fuy's house last July. As the others have said, it's a nifty little short film. I think it needs expansion before I'm willing to buy it, though.

I bet the visuals are stunning on a nice A/V system.
Old 13-01-2004, 05:59 AM   #8   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

Yeah, I was really surprised at the length. I was expecting it to at least be an hour long feature. I would have even settled for 45 mins. Half an hour is really too short to properly tell a story like that. Just a couple of extra minutes would have sufficed. But despite the fact it is severely time challenged it still is a touching story.

As for the NGE comparisons I raised, some of the establishing shots which showed still shots of the land at dawn or dusk with insect or bird noises played reminded me of similar shots Anno used in NGE. Possibly this guy was inspired by Anno's style.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 01:53 AM   #9   [permalink]
BakaMaster

great story, yes i also wish it were a bit longer, also very orginal idea.

If i am not mistaken he also did the voice acting with his wife...i am unsure though.

he created the entire thing on a mac though which is very impressive to create something so large by himself.

"Immelmann turn" -Dio
BakaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote