Old 22-11-2001, 01:56 AM   #1   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Macross 7

Anyone seen this series of Macross? It's 49 episodes plus an ova and a movie. It takes place shortly after the events of Macross Plus but it has different characters.

Real quick, it's the story of the 7th Macross colony fleet and features Max and Millia, but they aren't the main characters. It also features Exedore too. After the 1st space war, Earth began to send out colony fleets to inhabit other worlds. The SDF2 Megaroad was the first one and it's the one that Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay were on before it disappeared mysteriously. The Macross 7 is a new class of ship that carries over 1 million people and has a large support fleet as well. Max is the commander of the ship and Millia is the mayer of the city inside of Macross 7.

One thing that we learn in Macross 7 is who the Zentradi were fighting and who originally built the SDF1 Macross. The new main character Basara is really annoying with his flying a Valkyrie and playing the guitar, but it seems to be a decent series do far. I've only seen the first 10 episodes so far, but I have the rest on my computer

The one thing about Macross 7 is that it's really different than Plus. It may not be everyone's favorite, but I like it.
isamudyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2001, 08:36 AM   #2   [permalink]
jackal
Forum Master

I've only seen the first 4 episodes and the story at that time was a tad unbelievable.

When I saw that kid jump into a Valkyrie my first reaction was to laugh at the mech with a mouth (it reminded me of all those old live action robots), then my second reaction was to laugh again at how this kid has the dough to get that kind of a mech (is it explained?!) and seeing him plug into his mechs' super subwoofers and start bellowing away on a guitar while he's killing all the enemies around him like it was his part time job (the same enemies that trained UN Spacy pilots couldn't even touch by the way).

So yeah...all that stuff kinda put me off it (I know it's aimed towards kids but...gah...) so have have the later episodes been?

Just one thing, I know I asked this before, but which timeline does Macross 7 actually take place on?
The Do You Remember Love time line or TV series? Because the Exedore in M7 is the same design as the one in DYRL(???) and if it takes place after MPlus (which I'm guessing is right because they still use the VF-11bs in M7) then that means MPlus would be on the same timeline as the movie and not the Macross TV series. Does anyone know for certain? I sure would like to.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2001, 04:19 AM   #3   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Yep, Basara sucks and is very annoying, but you get used to him (or so I'm told). I'm still at episode 10 but from what I have been told, it gets much better around ep 16 on until about ep 35ish, then it slacks off till it hit 40.

Timeline goes:
  • Macross the series
  • Macross: Flashback 2012
  • Macross Plus
  • Macross 7 the series
  • Macross 7 Dynamite and the Macross 7 movie (not sure exactly except that they both take place after the series)
DYRL is a documentry film that is made during the timeframe of Macross 7 depicting the events of the original series. That doesn't explain why Exedore changed his looks and was unmicronized, but I put that in the same catagory as the Klingons from Star Trek. They looked one way in the original series and then looked completely different in the movie with no explanation. DYRL can't really be in the same timline as Plus and M7 since the Earth got wiped out and there's no way the UN Spacy could have that many colonies and recovered in the time that passed. So the documentry film thing makes it legitement to the timeline without actually happening.

Macross II is in an alternate universe and has no bearing on the rest of the Macross stories. MII was made without Studio Nue, so it's not official.
Old 28-11-2001, 02:41 PM   #4   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jackal
Just one thing, I know I asked this before, but which timeline does Macross 7 actually take place on?
The Do You Remember Love time line or TV series? Because the Exedore in M7 is the same design as the one in DYRL(???)
I just saw this thread at Macross World today,link here and the same question was asked about Exedore and a few other things regarding why M7 looks like DYRL.
Old 29-11-2001, 12:24 AM   #5   [permalink]
Ura
Forum Master

I've seen the first 3 and am not overly impressed. Also I have a hard time finding the eps

Though from what I saw it wasn't up there with Macross and Mac+
Ura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2001, 10:31 AM   #6   [permalink]
jackal
Forum Master

Well thanks for that, I 'spose that Klingon thing in reference to Exedore is as good as it gets in terms of the why
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 03:28 PM   #7   [permalink]
Forsteen

I have all 49 episodes, and Basara is more or less a simple non-fighting, pacafistic idiot, but you more or less get used to him.

One thing that you do see is a couple of the original characters of robotech. Gotta see it in order to know who they are.

Law of Probable Dispersal
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Forsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 11:00 AM   #8   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

You also get to see who the Zentradi were originally fighting and who made them.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:27 PM   #9   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

OK, finally finished watching all 49 episodes of Macross 7 and I must say that it was definately worth the effort to get them. As it ahs already been pointed out, Basara can be annoying, but you not only get used to him but you start to admire him for his idealistic principles. If only the real world was as simple as singing songs, it would be a better place. Perhaps that was the intent?

With 49 episodes it had plenty of time to develope and explore the various characters and plotline. It definately starts out slow, but if you can make it to around episode 12 when City 7 and Battle 7 get seperarated, then you'll get hooked.

Gamlin is definately one character who undergoes a lot of developement. At first I didn't like him, but over the course of the series I changed my mind and developed a real liking for him. Near the end of the series a "tramatic" event occurs with him and you realize how much you've grown to like him.

While Max and Millia aren't the main characters, they definately have their moment. When Millia is flying in an outdated VF-1J and she's schooling the newbie pilots, it's definately a site to behold. It's also interesting to see how they both have matured and changed over the course of time. Mac 7 is set in 2045, which is 35 years after the First Space War.

Anyways, if you are a Macross fan, it's worth seeking out this series to watch. It takes a bit of time to get into it and you have to suspend some belief to watch it, but it's worth it. As long as you can handle boatloads of J-Rock and and Basara's pacifest beliefs, then you be drawn into it too.

If you aren't careful, you too will be shouting "Listen to my song!!".
Old 23-03-2002, 08:31 PM   #10   [permalink]
Vanguard

Watching it with a serious mind set will be a big mistake. However if you watch it without any expectation you will be surprised. I get a good laugh out of it every time Barasa started singing. It was really funny when that huge-a** sound booster was stuck into the enemy flagship in front of the enemy commander's face.
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2002, 05:02 AM   #11   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Good point about not having a serious mindset while watching M7. Just take it for what it is and give it some time and it will grow on you.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:01 AM   #12   [permalink]
Valkyrie
Executive Member

Macross 7- not my cup of tea, but still a good watch.

Seen it all except Macross 7 Plus. Need to collect those, but they're pretty hard to find. But you don't really need these episodes, they're just episodes that refine the series

I recommend that people watch it if they adore Macross the original and carry the theme accross real well. But if your more of a Macross Plus fan, it's not exactly what you'd expect in terms of plot and visuals. But all round, a nice series- interesting to say the least
Old 03-04-2002, 03:29 PM   #13   [permalink]
Steathassasn
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Steathassasn
any one know where to get this series..and does anyone rember

Megazone 23...the 3 part ova
Steathassasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2002, 11:19 PM   #14   [permalink]
exar kun

Macross 7 is the worst anime ever made. The protagonist is an idiot. All he does is plays his horrid rock music to his opponents. If that doesn't ---- you off, nothing will. Avoid this series if you want to keep your nerves. Why? Because you will find yourself screaming at the screen for Basara to please shoot himself and stop singing his crappy song.
Old 16-08-2002, 12:45 AM   #15   [permalink]
isamudyson
Forum Elite

Mac 7 isn't for most Western people since it's got all that pacifism and nonviolent theme going on. However, it was far more popular in Japan than Macross Plus was.