Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:06 PM   #1   [permalink]
kindred350

Just like cowboy bebop how is this anime the greatest of all time

I have wacth this series a few times.And how could this series be deep,ok I give it that it was deep at the end,but most of the stuff they went over.Was stuff that ,i been hearing my teachers,and just about every grow up had told me.About how people do not what to be alone,and stuff.And the movies is the same way to.Even that it was ok,and everyone just ok died to.Now rahxephon,now thats a better verison of evangelion there.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:16 PM   #2   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

It isn't the greatest series of all time..., just as Cowboy Bebop isn't the greatest series of all time either...,

What this series did was revitalise the Japanese anime industry in the mid-90's..., at the time, it was innovative, & original..., & the boost that the stagnant anime industry in Japan needed..., but that was 7 years ago....,
Evangelion is my favourite series..., but it isn't the best series ever..., & neither is Cowboy Bebop nor Rahxephon....,

A lot of your threads seem to have the same kind of topic...., i.e., why is this series, better than that series..., can't you make your own mind up...?

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
Old 09-05-2003, 09:20 PM   #3   [permalink]
kindred350

No I know what I like,but I am just doing this because.Just to get other people's opinion about diff things.In other words I would like to hear other people opinion, instead of my's all the time.

Old 09-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #4   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Too be honest..., your threads seem more like trolls to me..., you can't seem to understand why someone would like a series that you don't think is all that good..., your threads in the Cowboy Bebop forum demonstrate that...,
You don't think Evangelion is all that great..., I think the series is brilliant (just not 'the greatest series ever'..., that phrase is meaningless)...,
Try not to slag off 'x' series in 'x' forum..., all it does is wind people up....,

Old 09-05-2003, 10:55 PM   #5   [permalink]
Lengis
Forum Junkie

EVA fiend, I think you are taking the name of his topic too literal. If you are getting annoyed by his topic, I think you just need to chill back for a momment...

He's just asking others why they like it essentially. In his opinion it was overrated, which has some merit I believe. Personally, I liked the series, but some people do place it above most of anime, which I dont agree with. Heck, even this forum has two seperate forums just for eva.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:21 AM   #6   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
No one really said it was the "greatest of all time". If "just like cowboy bepop", then how can either be the "greatest of all time"? There can only be one "greatest" -- so what do YOU think is the greatest? You are referring to the opinions of different fans: those who think Cowboy Bepop is the greatest, and those who think Evangelion is the greatest. Of course, you forget about those in the middle -- those who take these things with quiet appreciation.

You said that the series and the movie only re-stated "stuff that ,i been hearing my teachers,and just about every grow up had told me.About how people do not what to be alone,and stuff."

Well, true, that is probably your own situation though. Remember that not everybody has had the growing-up processes that you have gone through. That is why there are so many differing opinions on Evangelion (I am sure you are already aware of that). And that is part of its appeal -- it can get through to almost anyone, regardless of their situation.

I am sure that your previous point about Evangelion merely stating stuff you already know is true. To a degree, that is true for me. I have known a lot of that stuff for a long time, but to have an anime actually coming out and saying that -- resonating with the ideas that have been hidden inside, and bringing it out, that is the true reason why a lot of people like it.

For some others, it has changed their perspective of the world. The psychology and philosophy that Evangelion shows to the viewers invoke thoughts, and eventually, people might think through it and come up with the conclusion that it is either true or false. Then they come to places like this forum and air their thoughts and opinions.

Again, the way they inteprete things depends on their situation, but the variety of people that it appeals to is amazing.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that Evangelion brought a whole new level of psychology and philosophy to anime at that time. Before, you had Gundam who were just starting on the aspect of 'pilot angst', but Evangelion accelerated this concept to a large degree. It went into the consciousness and subconsciousness of the pilots, and examined their motivations and fears (much of which, I may add, is very similar for many viewers -- its like anime looking inside their brain). It also used a whole lot of religious symbolism and philosophy, especially from Judaic cults, and this added another layer of suspense and mystery to it.

Now, if you were to take into account the context in which Evangelion was created, and compare it to RahXephon, you would find that many anime have adopted the style of Evangelion in terms of the factors mentioned above. This is not strictly saying that they copied it (when in fact many of them have incorporated their own novel ideas such as the idea of using 'music' or 'sound' as a way to battle, or the 'blue-blooded humans'), but Evangelion was obviously a trend-setter.

A big plus for RahXephon is perhaps the graphics and art that it is presented in. Again, the point is moot if you consider the technology available to anime makers back when Evangelion was produced. To think that they managed to make such an anime with that sort of budget -- that in itself says a lot about the will of the creators.

The above, however, are just my own opinions. Of course, you are welcome to disagree with it, but I hope that reading it would give you an understanding as to why Evangelion is so well-liked.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:31 AM   #7   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
kindread350, I have to ask you if you truely have any other purpose coming here to Animeboards other than to say that popular animes 'suck', not giving any valid reasons why, and then ignoring our posts when we say why the anime is popular and/or good.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:06 AM   #8   [permalink]
Psyk0
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Psyk0
Could you put some spaces after your commas and periods?
Old 10-05-2003, 01:07 AM   #9   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

Have you seen anything but RaXephon, one episode of cowboy bebop and Evangelion?

As far as Eva being "The Best Anime Of All Time," while, nothing is. We keep getting more anime, higher quality work, and the creators are learning more and more what pulls peoples' heartstings, what makes their brain ponder, and just generally what attacts them to anime. Nothing will just top everything until someone somehow finds out how to turn the real world into an anime that you can go around in, doing anything anime-like and restarting as you please.

Eva is great, and if you read up, read about all the religious references, and think and think and make the weirdest connections, you can think forever and ever. It's just plain amazing how long I've spent making bizarre connections.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:26 AM   #10   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

Quote:
RahXephon.... now thats a better verison of evangelion there -Kindred-
I Don't think Kindred is here to bring any trouble.

He's new to anime and I don't believe he even has really watched RahXephon or Eva Enough....

I've heard some of his questions on the RahXephon Forum and it's clear he needs to rewatch the series....

Without Evangelion I doubt RahXephon would be as good as it is today......

And I hope you realize that...

I'm working on a RahXephon/Eva comparison.... I'll have it up as soon as possible

Now I agree that RahXephon is very much like Evangelion and is Graphically and Romantically better than Eva...

It's only because the Main Storyline of Eva and RahXephon are not exactly the same...

Also you can't compare Eva to Cowboy Bebop... both are completely different genre...

~_~

Last edited by Kyrakasa; 10-05-2003 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:42 AM   #11   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengis
EVA fiend, I think you are taking the name of his topic too literal. If you are getting annoyed by his topic, I think you just need to chill back for a momment...

He's just asking others why they like it essentially. In his opinion it was overrated, which has some merit I believe. Personally, I liked the series, but some people do place it above most of anime, which I dont agree with. Heck, even this forum has two seperate forums just for eva.
I agree with you that I think the series is somewhat over rated now (it's definately over hyped at any rate)..., it's just that kindred350 has posted the same questions in the Cowboy Bebop forum (he also posted a similar question in the Patlabor forum, which he never went back to)..., I'm not annoyed by this topic..., it just seems to me that he's either trolling for a flame..., or merely spamming the forum..., I'm more 'annoyed' by that...,

Old 10-05-2003, 08:03 AM   #12   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
I was going to post something similar to you EVA fiend. I did have a response formulated in the time it took me to look at the title of the thread till the page actually loaded. Unfortunately my response was still valid after reading the inital post.

So i didnt bother to post that one.

ATh
Old 10-05-2003, 09:03 AM   #13   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
Kyrasaka's right about different genre. now, if it was like RaX vs NGE, then there'd be something to talk about but this is CBB vs NGE. doesn't make much sense...

NGE is how the audience interprets the messages from the series and the movie. and it happens to be all different. some just think it's a little wimp's story going on and on about 'oh no, i don't want to see my father, oh no' with girls with abnormally bigger breasts. others take it seriously, and try to understand the meaning of human relationship out of it. oh so different.

so, my opinion is that NGE is not like Pokemon or Digimon, where the message is perfectly clear. so it's impossible to really argue if it's one of the best anime ever, or is it just another anime like the rest.

but, as EVA fiend mentioned, it DID boost up the anime industry by a lot! that's something...
Old 10-05-2003, 11:34 AM   #14   [permalink]
kindred350

Lengis understand's why I do post thread like this.Because I just want good reason as to why. Animes like this one are so popular over other animes, that are better. Just want to hear what your guys have to say about this, thats all. Yeah I like eva to, but it is not my fav anime of all time. Thats all I want to accomplo, and get to the root, of why people like others animes like cowboy bebop much. For eva I could probaly see why, but for cowboy bebop I can not.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:41 AM   #15   [permalink]
kindred350

Thank you Kyrakasa for being understandable to why I ask these type of question, just to get people to think. And just to get reason as to why people like animes like this or others. Not to my any trouble or all. Because I have deal with people who wacth little or no anime, and just wacth these type of anime. And say that it is better then the rest. So I came here thinking that people here will finally give me. Reasons to why so many people like ths anime and cowboy bebop. Thats all

Closed Thread