Old 12-12-2001, 08:34 PM   #1   [permalink]
GiZMO
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to GiZMO
Americans Speaking Japanese...please!

Alright, i've finally have the chance to write this, like i always said i would. Its a letter written by a guy to a magazine.

PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS THREAD. I REALLY WANTED TO GET THIS OUT FOR SO LONG.. PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS.

Quote:
AMERICANS SPEAKING JAPANESE... PLEASE!

Now, I'm a real big fan of Magazine , and I'm a bigger fan of the Japanese and of course, anime. I enjoy watching anime, and i especially enjoy reading fanfiction on the internet. Basically this letter that I'm putting out here is-Enough! What's my complaint, exactly?
This: People who are American, pure American who can [most of the time] be obsessed with anime. But please, when Americans pick up that Japanese language and start speaking it to every frickin' person they meet, it really starts to come across as just plain annoying. Seriously, how many times can you hear the phrase "Konnichiwa" before you literally start ripping off your eras!? Come on, people!
I mean, it's okay to speak the language if you ACTUALLYknow how to speak the language, and it's okay to say Japanese phrases on occasions..... but EVERYWHERE i go there's always somebody who's trying to show off by saying "Ohaya Gozaimasu!" or (and i seriously HATE this phrase more than anything in the American vocabulary) "KONNICHIWA"! I see that kind of BS everywhere! Please, people, tone it down with this Japanese-wannabe crap. It's fine to like Japan and its culture, and it's fine to like what they do and how they speak, but please tone it down and don't forget (for those of you who are American and, of course, other races) who ayou are and WHERE you came from. Please, there's enough wannabes out there to feed seven thousand state troopers, we don't need anymore "otaku" people out there screaming and shoting in another language that most people (i like myself, who can't afford to take crap language classes like the rest of you) can't possibly begin to understand.
I'm sick of going to REALLY great english websites, then the site jsut breaking my face open wit this stupid Japanese phrase that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I'm sick of it. And I'm also sick of reading fanfiction with the Hapanese names of characters in it, such as "Shinigami" or, "Whatever-chan." If you're suddenly going to start writing in Japanese, just write the WHOLE DAMN STORY IN JAPANESE! I honestly don't think it's very cool, and it doesn't make me think that whoever wrote the story (or says the phrases) is smarter than the rest of us who speak our original language. Oh sure, people who can speak multiple languages are talented, but NO, not any smarter, and i would like to actually hear/read something and comepletely UNDERSTAND it. Not have to go out of my way to understand what "dame desu" means, and definately try and process the rest of whatever you're trying to say in my already-crammed-up brain. No, i just can't take it!
So i guess what I'm trying to say is, It's okay to be obsessed with the language of Japanese, and it's okay to speak it ONCE IN A WHILE, but Gun-damnit! You DON'T need to say it EVERYWHERE you are, and you DEFINATELY don't need to rub it in my face and brag because you think that you're smarter than the rest of us there. Please. Knock it off.
Oh, feel free to print my e-mail adress, i just can't WAIT to be slammed with millions of Japanese-speaking obsessors out there.....THE HORROR. THE HORROR...... until then..... Bai. (And NO, that is NOT Japanese!!!)
~"Mindboggling";zangulus_rulz@check.com

Well he let the magazine post it, so why cant i? Well if u want to slam me for agreeing, my e-mail is EVAzeiram@hotmail.com

Here's the response from the Magazine.

Quote:
It should not come as a huge surprise that some people who get into anime have a larger interest in Japanese culture. It may, however, be a surprise to those same people that not everyone shares that interest to the same degree. English speakers watching aniem are indeed straddling two cultures, two langugaes, and it's up to each individual viewer to devide how far they want to take it-total cultural immersion, or harmless divrsion? Obviously, only you can devide.
But in the context of fanfiction, communication is very important. How much can you enjoy a story if you can't understand part of it? Fanfiction writers need to be as aware of their aurdience as much as we do writing for this magazine. Can you blame your audience for wanting to understand your story? Are you writing to be understood?

But i do think that those "Otaku" are annoying as ----. And my friend is like one of them. And he does get annoying...

PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS THREAD. i WANT TO SEE ALL THE COMPLAINTS AND SUCH IT WILL GET. AND MESSAGES. i REALLY WANTED TO GET THIS OUT TO EVERYONE HERE AT AB, AND JUST OTHER VIEWERS THAT MIGHT WANT TO JOIN AB TO SLAM ME. WELL... PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THIS THREAD.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:51 PM   #2   [permalink]
Poiupp X
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Poiupp X Send a message via AIM to Poiupp X
Fair arguement... and in a lot of ways, I agree with you. But, mixing foreign words and phrases is common-place in society. Every human race does it to some extent. A French military term, a Mexican term for a certain food, etc. All anime fans do is use a similar tactic, hampered by a few simple facts. First, their exposure to Japanese is limited often to whatever anime they've seen subbed or raw. Not the best tool to learn from. Then, there are the ones who know a friend who is part or full Japanese, and they like to feel as if they are 'part of it' when talking to him/her about anime.

In short, its less of a big deal than you think. Just human nature.
"Human beings want to be controlled...they forsake those who offer no benefit. They laud those with power! They can do nothing for themselves! Mankind's true desire is to be dominated by absolute power!" Dauragon C. Mikado

"Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive."

Royal Diamonds Gaming Club;
"Hit hard, hit first, hit critical"
Poiupp X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2001, 09:11 AM   #3   [permalink]
Eternity
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eternity

()__()
(=','=)
(")_(") Say hello to my rabbit, Miffy. :D
Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2001, 09:42 PM   #4   [permalink]
WashuSakura
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to WashuSakura
Yeah. Culture mixture has always been, and will always be, around. I mean, the Japanese use words from our culture, such as "rushhour".

But it is true that fanfiction writers need to remind themselves that some members of their audiences have only ever seen the dubbed version, or have never visited sites that have Japanese words in it. The first time I read an SM fanfic with the Japanese names, I was confused, cuz I didn't know who "Mako-chan" or "Usagi-chan" was.
Old 23-03-2002, 08:51 PM   #5   [permalink]
matalwhite15

I really agree with all of you guys.
But war can be broken by peace
Peace
It is what everybody needs
matalwhite15 is offline   Reply With Quote