Old 31-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #1   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Adolescence of Utena DVD

AKA Revolutionary Utena the Movie, the really sharp looking movie too. I just got this today and have to say that this is the best US anime DVD release I've ever seen. The supplemental material is fantastic, the transfer is gorgeous, and not to mention the great sound. If anything I wish every other DVD release by US anime licensers was this good looking ^_^;;;

Anyone here think this was a utterly terrific DVD release for a US anime company (that isn't Pioneer or Bandai) and actually did this film justice?
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:05 PM   #2   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Bekkichan Send a message via AIM to Bekkichan Send a message via Yahoo to Bekkichan
Well, I know I like it. Never mind that it's the very first DVD I've ever owned. It's not anymore, but anyway... yeah, I still think it's better overall than the few other DVDs I have. Of course, the movie had amazing visuals and music anyway. Gotta love the behind-the-scenes extras though... and the quizzes amuse me greatly, especially the 'wrong answer' clips.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:35 PM   #3   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

I thought the movie was great except as much as I like it, I do not get the end whatsoever with that whole thing with the cars @_@
Old 02-09-2002, 04:12 AM   #4   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Think of it this way Dan-Dan.

Refer to the TV series for comparisions to the swords of hate and the black cars of death from the movies itself. That explains why everything aims at Anthy.
Old 02-09-2002, 06:03 PM   #5   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I fell in love this movie after watching it in raw Japanese (I imported the DVD from Japan a month after it came out)..., didn't really have much idea about the intricacies of the dialogue & plot the first time I saw it..., but I was blown away by the animation, & music...,

The US release of the movie (which i also have) is excellent..., with plenty of extras to keep the fans happy (& it was nice to be able to read the subtitles on the screen, as opposed to a pile of A4 scripts that I got printed off the internet.., )..., but I prefer the menu's on the Japanese DVD..., it looks like the Kage OS network...,

Oh.., umm.., bragging moment here..., I have an animation cel from the movie....,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:01 PM   #6   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EVA fiend
Oh.., umm.., bragging moment here..., I have an animation cel from the movie....,
I'm becoming more and more convinced that you've sold your soul to some great evil to get half the merchandise you have Fiend
Old 03-09-2002, 02:42 AM   #7   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Bekkichan Send a message via AIM to Bekkichan Send a message via Yahoo to Bekkichan
Quote:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that you've sold your soul to some great evil to get half the merchandise you have Fiend
Dude, if you did, hook me up with whoever bought your soul.

Kage OS menus?? crap, I want the Japanese DVD now
Old 04-09-2002, 10:29 PM   #8   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
I would like to get my hands on the DVD just for the directors commentary
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2002, 12:40 AM   #9   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Linna32 Send a message via MSN to Linna32 Send a message via Yahoo to Linna32
Im even more in love with juri then ever, she is so so adorable with only a few curls

[spoilers]
what the hell was with the ending and the cars.... geezzzzzzzzzz
[/spoilers]
Old 20-09-2002, 12:36 PM   #10   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

About the cars and such... one of the niftier things about the DVD is the option of director's commentary. I watched that, and Ikuhara-sama didn't say much about the car scene (he wanted to leave it open to interpretation ), but he did mention something about Utena turning into a car as being parallel to a sort of sleeping beauty thing. Like, she was "put to sleep" for an indefinite amount of time and it's up to Anthy to wake her. Which further complicates the question of whether Utena is the prince or the princess, ne? x_x

And I'm with Kawaii on the black (locust) cars, with the million swords of hate thing. Obstacles to stop Anthy from making it to the outside world, representations of resentment aiming at her from all angles, what have you.
Old 20-09-2002, 07:47 PM   #11   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Linna32 Send a message via MSN to Linna32 Send a message via Yahoo to Linna32
i thought the cars were a rather strange way to end the movie and no matter what it presented i thought it was a strange way to end the movie, it had great graphics though
Old 21-09-2002, 07:34 AM   #12   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

i've also picked up that both the movie and the series start in a similar fashion utena arriving at the schoola s a new student and the first two duels, saonji then juri rather intersting isnt it? its as if the past is repeating itself again....
Old 21-09-2002, 08:09 AM   #13   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Well the movie is meant to be a sort of reinterpretation of the story from the series but with a spin and verve all it own
Old 22-09-2002, 02:11 AM   #14   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

yeah its more mature and has a great deal of sexual references **insert an evil grin in here** the art if far more superior to the series
Old 23-09-2002, 10:55 AM   #15   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Well, of course the cars were a strange ending. heheh, that was probably Ikuhara's intent... he's the artsy type, it seems. Well, sorta. For SKU he was. Anywho... the whole movie was kinda fooked up, ne? That's why I love it, meself. That and the gorgeous art... and the music... *heart*

Heh, speaking of the innuendos... I seem to remember Ikuhara saying he threw in the kiss scene at the end just because he wanted to see them kissing. Can't help but wonder if that applies to the whole movie and he just won't admit it.