Old 22-01-2003, 02:59 AM   #1   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Karla

Disclosure: I've only seen the OVA.

Karla says she gets involved with the affairs of Lodoss when she thinks power is concentrated too well on one side. She feels this is to be avoided because the Kingdom of Sorcery was destroyed by its intense centralization of strength. So, in order to avoid the kind of catastrophe she lived through, she tinkers with people's lives and starts wars in order to shift power around, never letting it sit with one side for too long.

It's obvious one of the messages of the anime is that this is immoral...but I'd like to hear from those who aren't so sure or disagree. Karla's goals are certainly noble, but her methods are appalling and after 500 years of constant warfare one would wonder whether the bodycount would rival that of less-frequent but epochal wars.

Also, I don't believe she ever makes any real attempt to get ahold of the Scepter of Domination...something that would obviously be of use to her. Surely she knows of it, why doesn't she make obtaining it a goal?
Old 22-01-2003, 03:19 PM   #2   [permalink]
Sei San
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Sei San
I am a Karla supporter. I think that her means arent quite fair, but are sufficently justified by the ends. I mean, she did save lodoss, and she was right in the end...

As for the scepter of domination, I'm not sure, though I don't think she set it as a goal to completely own lodosss...
Sei San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2003, 01:53 AM   #3   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

To answer all questions here

1) She doesn't want the Scepter of Domination because she doesn't want Lodoss conquered or unified. Not by anyone else, and not by herself either.

2) Karla's actions are anything but noble. The intent to end war is of course good, but nothing she has ever done has sought to accomplish this goal in a good way.

You say she "helped save Lodoss," but even in that respect it was a complete and utter gamble, to which she even admitted, but furthermore it appears you have only seen the OVA like Drizzten. In the original 7 novels by Mizuno (and subsequently, the TV series), Karla did not oppose Wagnard.

In fact, she helped him.

That's right. In fact SPOILERS SPOILER

SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Karla actually ressurects Kardis. You see, after Marmo is defeated in the War, Karla announces that the forces of light have ammassed into too great a force, and that the dark has now been utterly defeated. This imbalance cannot be allowed, and the only way she can think of to rectify the situation is to help Wagnard ressurect Kardis, because then the dark god would restore darkness in the world.

After Wagnard is killed, it is Karla who finishes the incantation to ressurect Kardis. Of course, before Kardis is brought to her full power, something else happens to resolve the whole issue, but it was something that Karla has nothing to do with.

I hope that after Parn knocked the circlet off of her new body they took it to a very secure place and locked it up forever.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2003, 11:02 PM   #4   [permalink]
Sei San
Executive Member

Yes, I guess you're right, but I thought this only applied to OAV Karla, so that was what I thought of her. I did read the original novels.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:57 AM   #5   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Where, by chance, did you get the novels, and do you know Japanese or were they translated?

Robotech Master
Old 04-02-2003, 10:16 PM   #6   [permalink]
Sei San
Executive Member

I ordered the novels somewhere, but they will be of no use to you for they are all in japanese.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:31 AM   #7   [permalink]
Ctuchik

I believe in what Karla says as well. I especially like the line where she asks Parn if she should have supported King Fahn instead. That was just cool. She is my favorite character from this show. You should really watch 13 tape (not sure how many DVDs) one. Its pretty good and from what I've seen of the tv show I believe its the same cast just about.
Ctuchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:48 AM   #8   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

I own the the entire OVA and TV series on VHS (didn't have a DVD player back then). The OVA has 6 Tapes. The TV series has 9. That's 15 total. There is no 13 tape set.

DVD wise, the entire OVA is released in one big two or three disc (forget which) set for like 40-45 dollars. The TV series is 4 discs.

Robotech Master
Old 19-08-2003, 12:34 PM   #9   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I believe that Karla is herelf the only flaw in her logic.As she says letting a side with too much power is bad so when she intervenes in battles she fulfills and contradicts her purpose at the same time.

Had I been Karla I would have killed Ashram,Wagnar,Parn and Slayn first.Without their human lovers Deedlit and Pirotess would most likely have left the battles wich would have left a good balance in the forces.
Old 21-08-2003, 12:01 AM   #10   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Karla doesn't see a major threat in the hands of a few, no matter how powerful they are.

Even 15 years down the road, when Marmo still had Ashram, and Parn was almost as good as Ashram, she still didn't consider things to be going out of hand just because of them.

Specifically, Karla didn't act for another 15 years because she saw no reason to. The only reason she did resurface wasn't because all of the main characters were so powerful, but because of the alliances that the kingdoms were creating. Kanon (Marmo Control) and Allania (Dictator control) had both allied, and represented, for Karla, the dark, and Flaim, Valis, and Moss had allied together to form the light.

But even with this happening, Karla still felt the playing field was even. She took action only after the good alliance decisevely beat Marmo.

Once Marmo didn't exist anymore, the force of darkness was no longer represented, and THEN the good guys were way too powerful. Her flawed logic then told her that to balance the forces in the universe, she would have to ressurect Kardis. That's the only reason why she helped Wagnard ressurect her in the first place.

Robotech Master
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 PM   #11   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Like I've said,I always thought Karla's action contradicts her goals.

What if she did manage to fully resurrect Kardis?Would she have had to resurrect Marfa as well?Then they would have fought again,most likely leading to another even fight and things would have started all over again.

Also,she lost sight of her true goal long ago.She opposed the destruction and death caused by wars,but by balancing power like she does,she only encourages more destruction.

The goal is noble,but the rest is flawed