Old 02-03-2003, 02:33 AM   #1   [permalink]
Ctuchik

Karla Goddess of History or Old Hag

I don't know how to put up one of them polls so just leave your answer in a reply.
I'm for Goddess. Thats one so far. What do you think?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:52 AM   #2   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

She's certainly knowledgable and quite powerful, I'll give her that. But her methods are chaotic. Her ends to do justify the means when the outcome is nothing more than an (openly admitted) gamble. She nearly destroyed all of Lodoss by helping Wagnard ressurect Kardis, and overall I'd say that over time Karla has really lost a few screws. She may have a lot of knowledge about things, but she's still not completely right up there.

So I don't really think its right to place her under the category or either Goddess or Old Hag. Karla herself dislikes to place herself into any category. That's why she calls herself the Grey Witch. Light = White. Darkness = Black. Grey = Neither, but a mix of the two.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #3   [permalink]
Ctuchik

But you must admit that she considers herself the eyes of the gods watching down upon Lodoss. Wort says that is the way she thinks of herself if you watch the ending of Lodoss and she did it because she had faith in that the world would be saved. To find that out all you have to do is rewatch the ending where she and the Great Sage are conversing.
And since when are gods always stable beings. In mythology many gods are not very stable and have many flaws.

Last edited by Ctuchik; 02-03-2003 at 06:14 PM.
Ctuchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:20 AM   #4   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

That's not the true Karla (OVA). The real Karla considers herself the one who must keep the balance between Light and Darkness. The ultimate ending she hopes to achieve each time is, of course, to ensure that the world at least goes on and that there is never absolute destruction. I don't think she has faith that the world will take care of itself. First of all, if she did she wouldn't be doing what she was doing, and second of all if she did have that sort of faith in the rest of Lodoss, she would not have ressurected Kardis after Wagnard failed to do so. In the end, it was this "faith in the world" that the people of Lodoss had that DEFEATED Karla! Specifically, it was Parn and Deedlit who defeated Karla once and for all, and then it was Spark and Neese who defeated the ressurected Kardis through Martha's blessing. All of that went NOT according to Karla's plan, and if it hadn't been for Karla's meddling, they would not have had to go through all of that hassle in the first place.

Robotech Master
Old 03-03-2003, 05:32 AM   #5   [permalink]
Ctuchik

But they did not defeat her. She wished not for Lodoss to be destroyed. As you said she seeks only to balance but not only good and evil but also history from prophecy. And since when does everything go accordingly to a god's plans. Look at Hera and Hercules for one example or with Morrigan and the Hound of Ulster.
Secondly one cannot know trully what Karla is thinking except Karla. Perhaps she ressurrected Kardis to strengthen Parn. After all he did defeat the goddess the first time.
Ctuchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 02:41 AM   #6   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

She didn't do it to Strengthen Parn because

A) Parn had never fought Kardis before (You're thinking too much about the OVA. Episodes 9-13 of the OVA are non-canon). The end of the TV series is the First and only time Wagnard tries to ressurect Kardis in the actual timeline.

B) She wasn't even aware that he was there. She was surprised by his actions when he suddenly appeared and layed the smack down on that circlet of hers. Spark was the one who defeated Kardis, but only with Martha's help.

RE: But they did not defeat her

WTF? I think having your circelt blasted off of your head by Parn and then having it subsequently locked away for all eternity constitutes as a defeat for Karla.

You are referring to a Karla who was hopeful that the people of Lodoss would STOP Kardis. I'm talking about the Karla who's Goal was to RESSURECT Kardis. She made her plan quite clear. She wanted Kardis to come back to represent the darkness in the world because there was no more Marmo (Ashram had turned good, admitted defeat in the War of Kings, and decided to leave with his people in search of a new land to form a kingdom). The fact that Kardis and Karla were both defeated in the conflict that began after this means that Karla failed, and thus, was defeated. Because at the end of Record of Lodoss War Marmo is no more, and since Kardis is DEAD, not imprisoned anymore, DEAD, the curse is no more. Lodoss is no longer the cursed island, and the balance of power is WAY in the lights favor.

About Hera and everything, they are established as being actual gods in the mythology. Mizuno's Lodoss Mythology clearly labels the gods and goddesses of their world. Karla is not one of them. She was a sorceress in the kingdom of Castuul who was killed in battle with the Barbarians who ended up destroying Castuul. She used a magic spell to place her soul into the circlet, and used the circlet to steal the body of the Barbarian that killed her. She then left the scene and there you have the start of the Grey Witch.

Robotech Master