Old 07-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #1   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Icantpickascreename
Post Five Consecutive Questions.

This thread might contain spoilers who haven't fully seen the Utena television series. You may proceed with caution, but if you spoil it for yourself, that's your loss.

Question 1: Are Anthy, Akio, and Dios one big family or is Akio the same person as Dios?

Question 2: Did Akio have any intentions of making Utena a princess?

Question 3: Why is Anthy referred to her brother as "the witch?"

Question 4: What's that sword's name where is Anthy pulls it out instead of Utena?

Question 5: Was the Sword of Hatred meant for a Prince or a Witch?
Old 07-06-2003, 07:20 PM   #2   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Bekkichan Send a message via AIM to Bekkichan Send a message via Yahoo to Bekkichan
I second that spoiler warning. Don't look if you don't want to know, people.

My answers...

1) Akio is Dios. He was Dios first, but then he 'turned from the light' and chose a path that led to darkness instead, lured in by the concept of End of the World. Dios = light, and Akio = darkness... so Akio = what happened when Dios turned from light to darkness. And Anthy is the sister of both of them.

2) He sure seemed to enjoy repeating his plans of turning her into his princess... so yes, I'd say that was his plan. If he'd succeeded, he would've gained all the power she had invested in the Sword of Dios. If you mean did Dios intend to make her a princess by saving her as a child... well, to him, she already was one, as I see it. He did say that he saved all the princesses of the world, and the girls he couldn't save were witches, or something.

3) Because years ago she sacrificed her chance to be a princess by taking upon herself all the world's hatred to protect her brother, Dios. He couldn't save her (because if he did he would've become the target of the world's hatred, not Anthy), and therefore she was not a princess, but a witch.

4) Far as I know, it's the Sword of Dios. I think all her victories in the first 13 eps built up her inner strength enough to make it a satisfactory home for the sword, so it kind of became her own spirit sword, just like all the student council members had spirit swords in the Black Rose arc.

5) You mean the Million Swords of Hatred that make a human pincushion out of Anthy? I don't see them as actual swords meant for anyone, princes and witches included... they're just representations of all the hatred contained within people. They don't damage the body physically; it's the spirit that feels the pain when they latch on. If you meant the Sword of Dios... well, seems to me like it was meant for Dios. So, it was meant for a prince, which was whay Utena was aiming to become when she used it.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #3   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

I haven't had the privledge to watch the 3 remaining episodes. Can somebody tell me what exactly happens to Utena? I've been earing it's been a mystery.
Icantpickascreename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:01 PM   #4   [permalink]
Anshi

-Spoiler-

I hope you will be able to watch the last three episodes. Those are the best of all. The last episode is very emotional. I really do not want to give out too much about the end of the series. Utena enters the arena for the final duel called Revolution. She duels Akio.
What happens to Utena at the end is that she disappears and everybody forgets her except Anthy.(and Akio)
Anshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #5   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

She just disappears? That's awfully depressing
Old 09-06-2003, 05:07 PM   #6   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Bekkichan Send a message via AIM to Bekkichan Send a message via Yahoo to Bekkichan
Dude, you've been here this whole time asking SKU questions whose answers contain mondo spoilers and you haven't even seen the last 3 eps?? Get them! WATCH THEM! *prod* I refuse to knowingly spoil the ending for you (further than Anshi has, anyhow) before you've seen it. 90% of the fun of the ending is figuring it out for yourself... I'm serious. So go see it, THEN come back and ask questions.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #7   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

I like to spoil myself on these occations. It's too far off to wait until November arrives to pick up the last DVD. No, I'm not going to purchase fansubs either.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #8   [permalink]
Anshi

If you want to know more about the last episode go to the Utena Encyclopedia website. I do believe the web address is www.duellist.tj
It is really a good website. It has synopsis of episodes and the script.
Anshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #9   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

Arrow Visited there

Quote:
Originally posted by Anshi
If you want to know more about the last episode go to the Utena Encyclopedia website. I do believe the web address is www.duellist.tj
It is really a good website. It has synopsis of episodes and the script.
The website url is not working for my computer. I appreciate though, but I've already visited there multiple times when wondering what was the Black Rose Saga.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #10   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Icantpickascreename
I like to spoil myself on these occations. It's too far off to wait until November arrives to pick up the last DVD. No, I'm not going to purchase fansubs either.
You could always do what I did several years ago when only the first 13 eps were available to buy...., I bought the Japanese DVD's instead.., & watched them whilst reading the translated dialogue off a script...,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2003, 11:25 PM   #11   [permalink]
sutarikun

Send a message via AIM to sutarikun
Quote:
Originally posted by Bekkichan
I second that spoiler warning. Don't look if you don't want to know, people.

My answers...

1) Akio is Dios. He was Dios first, but then he 'turned from the light' and chose a path that led to darkness instead, lured in by the concept of End of the World. Dios = light, and Akio = darkness... so Akio = what happened when Dios turned from light to darkness. And Anthy is the sister of both of them.
Akio himself explains in one of the chapters of the manga that his name is a reference to the Morning Star, also known as Lucifer in some circles. Lucifer is the name of a fallen angel often associated with Satan, and if I remember correctly his sin was hubris, excessive pride, whatever you want to call it.
sutarikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2003, 01:01 AM   #12   [permalink]
Shale

Send a message via AIM to Shale
Re: Five Consecutive Questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Icantpickascreename
Question 4: What's that sword's name where is Anthy pulls it out instead of Utena?
Inasmuch as it has a name, I'd say it's the Sword of Utena. It looks like the Sword of Dios because a soul sword always takes the form of a weapon that its wielder is used to, and that's the only sword Utena has regularly fought with.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING:

It can't be the Sword of Dios, because Akio draws that one out of Anthy for the final duel. That's also the first time we see what it really looks like...tarnished, ain't it?
Shale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #13   [permalink]
Pandora

Originally Posted by Bekkichan
In the manga, Akio mentions that Dios (ie. the God) is divided in half when the two sides of him disagree on whether people are worth saving. The dark half becomes Akio, ie. the End of the World. The remaining half is Dios, ie. the prince Utena saw when she was young.
Old 17-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #14   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pandora
In the manga, Akio mentions that Dios (ie. the God) is divided in half when the two sides of him disagree on whether people are worth saving. The dark half becomes Akio, ie. the End of the World. The remaining half is Dios, ie. the prince Utena saw when she was young.
Yes because Dios means God in Spanish...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #15   [permalink]
bigbi

No. Utena was very much alive at the end. She did cause a revolution. Anthy was finally free, and if you watch closely at the end scenes, all the people at Ohtori seem to be happier.
bigbi is offline   Reply With Quote