Old 15-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #1   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Question ? - How are will we go for what we believe?

what do you think? Parn kept having to answer this ? as did Ashram & Pirotess & all of Parn's friends. Not how far will we go to do what is right or wrong but how far & how much of ourselves will be sacrifice to achive our goals? Parn's example - not asking his friends to come w/ him in his quest to free Deedlit - shows not only his bullheaded way of thinking but it also shows his compassion of not desiring to put his friends in jeporady but they gladly put themselves in jeporady to help him & Deedlit. Ashram simply views people as mere tools but still has the same devotion to his quest. Strange huh?
Old 21-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #2   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

I suppose.

Though in Chronicles, Parn was an intelligent, skillful swordsman who was known as a hero of the people. He served no King because he desired to be able to fight in any country for his cause, and was willing to take on any opponent, even a goddess, if he believed he was helping the people of Lodoss.

Ashram doesn't necessarily view people as tools. At least, not by the end of Chronicles. By then he had begun to appreciate the people of Marmo, and began to realize that the war with Lodoss and the dark powers that surround Marmo were slowly destroying thier civilization. He showed a lot of selflessness in abandoning his plans for Lodoss and taking his people away to find a new location for thier kingdom.

As for an even more impressive feat, Spark actually denied Marfa's offer to bring Paradise--an actual world of peace, prosperity, and happiness without any evil or suffering, because he believed that that kind of paradise was something that human beings deserved only if they could bring it about themselves.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #3   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Question Humm... didn't see any of the Chronicles

Hey Robotech, I didn't see ANY of the Chronicles. But I've heard they were quite different from the OVA. From your description, it would appear that they are quite different. I'll have to watch them now! That's a real SHOCKER for me to hear about Ashram! Can't believe it! But it's awesome. Who's Spark? Don't know that character. Later...
--Shin
Old 24-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #4   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Lodoss Originated as 7 prose novels written by author Ryo Mizuno. The Novels started to get adapted into Manga, and then they were adapted into anime. Since it is a seven novel series, it has a long epic plotline spanning 15-16 years. The OVA was made with 13 episodes, which wasn't enough to cover this epic plotline.

Episodes 1-8 of the OVA are more or less an adaptation of Novel 1, with two major changes (1 being the circumstances of Beld's death, which was different in the novels, and second being Shiris and Orson, who don't appear until the beginning of Novel 3). Episodes 9-13 are loosely based on Novels 3-7 but with major changes in them, removing many years, many events, many characters, and an entire war.

The TV series was made to retcon episodes 9-13 of the OVA. The story begins five years after the death of Ghim, and begins to adapt the story of Novel 3 (in which the events of OVA episodes 9-13 never happened). Since 9-13 were loosely based on the novels, you'll recognized things: the Scepter of Domination and Shooting Star; Wagnards desire to ressurect Kardis. But you'll also notice the other things: spark and the other new characters who take the lead role starting in novel 6; the War of Kings which Parn is fighting in order to liberate Kanon and Alania from their dark rulers, and more.

Actually, doing a board search here will probably yield at least a dozen threads where I had to repeat myself on this subject in order to explain to people why the TV series is different from the OVA. I even wrote an E-Mail to John (Of AskJohn at Animenation.com) to tell him about it.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 09:13 AM   #5   [permalink]
Shinobe333

Cool Thanks! I'll search for your threads!

Robotech Master , Thanks!

Appreciate the insight. I never new ROLW was so deep! I'll search for your other threads & read'em!
--Shin