Old 06-05-2001, 01:37 PM   #1   [permalink]
The Captain
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to The Captain
Camping: a legit tactic

Why do so many people hate camping in CS? I think it's a legitimate tactic. It's probably one of the more efficient ways of racking up kills. It's not like it's a infallible strategy; you can use flashbangs or grenades to dislodge campers. If you die to a camper it's your fault for not being careful enough. Besides if you're low on health or ammo, or you're outnumbered, you don't have many other good options.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:16 PM   #2   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
... I've played CS a few times, and I always ended up caming..

I think it's cause they find it unfair that someone's hiding and sniping people down...

I agree with you though..
Old 06-05-2001, 04:45 PM   #3   [permalink]
cpt._saddam
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to cpt._saddam
"Waiting" in CS isn't equal to "Camping", but most people don't get that. Camping in a deathmatch is unfair, it is to wait in a safe place and shoot everyone who comes by, at minimal risk to get killed self. But CS isn't a deathmatch game, it depends MUCH more on tactic. You can actually camp unfair in CS, but "waiting" IS a legal tactic!
Some examples what camping in CS is NOT:

Sniping. If you buy a sniper, you can't run through the map and get into melee. The most effective way to use a sniper is to get into a good position and then wait there until the enemy comes. No one can flame you for that.

Defending. If you are t and have to protect the hostages, why shouldn't you do that? If you are ct and have to prevent the ts from planting the bomb, why you should run around and let them plant it? If you are ct and killed the t with the bomb, why should you go away and let the other ts get it again? Or, if you are t and planted the bomb, why should you run away and let the cts defuse it? That would be just stupid!

Ambush. If you hear an enemy running around the map like a horde of elephants, why shouldn't you duck behind the next box, wait 'till he runs by and shoot him in the back? It's his own fault!

Defend rushes. In some maps (for example cs_747) the team who is supposed to defend can get an benefit when it rushes. And if they takes advantage of the map designers faults to win, they should shut up if they are got by basecamping.

But, as I said, it IS possible to camp unfair in CS.
For example, if you are ct in a cs map, and wait in some corner FOR A LONG TIME to make the ts impatient and lure them out, this is camping. Or, with the most of your team dead, waiting somewhere 'till the time runs out. EXCEPT YOU DO SOMETHING FROM THE THINGS DESCRIBED ABOVE!

All in all, it's hard to really CAMP unfair in CS. Most people will call you camper if you get 'em by "waiting", but most of the time it will be their fault (and they don't want that to be true!).

Well, that's my opinion. Some other people may see that different.
cpt._saddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 04:59 PM   #4   [permalink]
GB888

Send a message via ICQ to GB888 Send a message via AIM to GB888 Send a message via Yahoo to GB888
Talking Re: Camping: a legit tactic

Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka L Sohryu
Why do so many people hate camping in CS? I think it's a legitimate tactic. It's probably one of the more efficient ways of racking up kills. It's not like it's a infallible strategy; you can use flashbangs or grenades to dislodge campers. If you die to a camper it's your fault for not being careful enough. Besides if you're low on health or ammo, or you're outnumbered, you don't have many other good options.
Think of it this way, if you were playing Counter Strike or Quake 3 or Unreal or whatever, how would you like it if you kept getting blown to hell by some camper that you had no way of reaching?
Old 06-05-2001, 06:13 PM   #5   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

I'd agree to camp if you have low health and your enemies outnumber, but camping is cheap. It wastes too much time for the enemies to find you, and the impatient died players to wait. Also, it shows that you have no skill, as your resorting to camping, if you do it ALL the time, showing that you can't elimate your enemy head on in a fair shootout.

How would you feel if some camping AWP punk nailed you almost every round?
hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 06:31 PM   #6   [permalink]
cpt._saddam
Forum Addicted

As I said, sniping is not camping. And there is always a way to get a sniper...it's commonly easy if you know how...
Old 06-05-2001, 06:49 PM   #7   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

No cpt. I'm talking about camping with an awp. I'v seen it before, but your right about sniping.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:04 PM   #8   [permalink]
The Captain
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to The Captain
I guess there are different ideas of what camping is. Do you consider it camping if you know you're going to get rushed in a certain area and wait for the enemy there behind cover? I really don't care if someone is lurking in the shadows or is behind some box. It's part of taking advantage of your surroundings, seeking cover and stealth. And combat is not supposed to be fair. You use any trick in the book to win. Well, legal tricks. I don't camp much myself, I find it too boring, but I find it funny others don't like it.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:06 AM   #9   [permalink]
cpt._saddam
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by hakai
No cpt. I'm talking about camping with an awp. I'v seen it before, but your right about sniping.
Well, ok, that's nasty. I see this also, sometimes, but I don't care very much about this...on the contrary, I love to kill this AWP-campers. It depends on the map how, I sometimes even get them with the knife from behind
Old 07-05-2001, 07:11 AM   #10   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

Camping is almost as bad as back stabbing.

I do both

My n00b=ADdispatcher
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 07:13 AM   #11   [permalink]
StramiT
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to StramiT Send a message via AIM to StramiT
The deffinition of camping differs from game to game. In a deathmatch title (quake series, UT) it is when you stay in a speciric location controlling a specific item (eg quad. RA, mega) whilst in CS it is more to do with taking away from the gameplay (who wants to be dead for 48574857 hours while the last 2 guys stuff around, each sitting in opposite corners of the map!)
StramiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 07:14 AM   #12   [permalink]
cpt._saddam
Forum Addicted

Quote:
I guess there are different ideas of what camping is. Do you consider it camping if you know you're going to get rushed in a certain area and wait for the enemy there behind cover? I really don't care if someone is lurking in the shadows or is behind some box. It's part of taking advantage of your surroundings, seeking cover and stealth. And combat is not supposed to be fair. You use any trick in the book to win. Well, legal tricks. I don't camp much myself, I find it too boring, but I find it funny others don't like it.
Rushing is one tactic, waiting in some cover is the best tactic to defend against this. Had you ever seen what happens if both teams rush? This happens sometimes. Lots of Action, but not THIS effective...
Old 08-05-2001, 01:54 PM   #13   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by cpt._saddam

Well, ok, that's nasty. I see this also, sometimes, but I don't care very much about this...on the contrary, I love to kill this AWP-campers. It depends on the map how, I sometimes even get them with the knife from behind
Ah yes. Nothing is sweeter than a knife kill. Maybe if it's a stab to the head.

Quote:

Camping and is a cheap way to earn kills and raise your points. Your too weak to protect yourself in the heat of the action. And campers are usually kicked or banned from servers. So I don't see the point in camping, unless under extreme measures.