Old 20-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #1   [permalink]
eatpork

Live Action Anime Films

So, with the depletion of comic book films, the next step for Hollywood to make top-dollar is the anime industry. I predict that soon we'll see a whole bunch of live-action anime based films.

If this horrible disaster does happen, what films do you think that Hollywood might have a shot at making a decent live action film. And who do you think should play the parts?

Even though I guess it's more likely for HW to milk the video game industry first.
Old 20-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #2   [permalink]
Cookiepop

Wasn't there something about a possible Wicked City live action movie? Seven Seas seems pretty keen on exploring the potential of holywood live-action anime films. That doesn't of course mean that it'll be a bad thing.
Old 20-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #3   [permalink]
eatpork

I just checked out Wicked City and the live-action version is suppose to be released come 2008. I don't know why they would choose that though, it wasn't even that good.

As for me, movies that Hollywood might have a shot at:

X (A darker version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
Blue Sub 6 (An Inconvenient Truth has paved the way!)
Ghost in the Shell (One of the more possible creations)
Jin Roh (Not really as a Hollywood feature, but some Indie filmmakers could do it)
Big O (now that Transformers was a hit)
Voltron (this isn't a theory, they're probably working on production as we speak thanks to Transformers....)
Gundam (Transformers opens yet another door, let's just pray that they do a better job)
Akira (it'd be very expensive, and they'd probably cut out all the blood and language to get a PG-13 release)
Old 20-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #4   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Live action movies based on anime/manga are abundant in Japan. The trend towards this for the US is highly plausible but should start with adaptations and re-releases instead of original content.
Old 20-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #5   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

The problem with this type of media "crossover" film is that it costs a fair amount of money just to get decent cg/real world interactivity ... let alone a plot/director combination that can juggle the translation from 2d to 3d in terms of story and character development.
Old 20-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #6   [permalink]
GLB_08

Battle Angel Alita: Last Order I hear is supposed to be a live action movie.
GLB_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #7   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Originally Posted by eatpork
I just checked out Wicked City and the live-action version is suppose to be released come 2008. I don't know why they would choose that though, it wasn't even that good.

As for me, movies that Hollywood might have a shot at:
Gundam (Transformers opens yet another door, let's just pray that they do a better job)
I'm sure there was a Hong Kong adaptation of Wicked City, didn't know they were planning another one.

Gundam already has a live action doesn't it? Japanese production with Western actors and actresses. I heard it sucked.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #8   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by orochi X
I'm sure there was a Hong Kong adaptation of Wicked City, didn't know they were planning another one.

Gundam already has a live action doesn't it? Japanese production with Western actors and actresses. I heard it sucked.
... if you want real sucky ... check out the live action Fist of the North Star or the chinese live action of DragonBall ... really ... reallllllly baddddd ...
Old 20-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #9   [permalink]
eatpork

Now that I think about it, Battle Royale was a live-action movie based on a manga (which was based on a novel), and it happens to be one of my favorite movies of all-time. Maybe there are other directors that can do the same.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #10   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

I just had some disturbing flashbacks of the live action Guyver movie.

Tho, I haven't seen it in like, a decade... was it really that bad? Now I don't remember.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:30 AM   #11   [permalink]
eatpork

I saw it once on sci-fi channel many years ago, after 30 seconds of watching him tip-toe around while kicking everyone's ass, I had to turn it.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #12   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

I saw the Fist of the North Star live action movie in the bargain bin and refuse to watch it.

Not a big advocate of anime -> live action movie translations because when you do that, you lose a big advantage of anime - namely depicting imagery and far-out scenarios that would be more difficult on the live stage. Also, the introduction of live actors which adds a certain degree of fakeness (see that other thread).

Actually, I think Grave of the Fireflies had a live action version. That might be OK. But the "idealized" anime verison would be hard to beat, and the benefits of such an idealized representation was analyzed quite well by Roger Ebert.

I suppose the more serious the anime, the better it lends itself to a live action version. Some suggestions:

Gasaraki (serious: use CG for the robots)
Patlabor the Movies (serious: lends itself well to a low budget, with so many long conversations)
Pokemon (comedy: something like Scooby Doo with a CG Pikachu)

EDIT: check it out, the anime forums are ALIVE AND KICKIN'!!!

Last edited by John Faulkner; 04-08-2007 at 02:53 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #13   [permalink]
eatpork

Originally Posted by John Faulkner
I saw the Fist of the North Star live action movie in the bargain bin and refuse to watch it.
I just saw that the other day. ------- Malcolm McDowell plays as Ryuken. That guy just stopped making good choices after Clockwork Orange.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #14   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Didn't they make "Crying Freeman" into a Live Action Film? What I remember of it, it wasn't very good, but I think Hollywood had a hand in making it. Or was that made in Asia?

But no matter how popular Anime might become, do you think that the Mainstream Audience will get it. There are a lot of weird themes that might not sell to the general public.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #15   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

It wouldn't be prudent to simply advertise these films by noting they are based on anime so ultimately, it comes down to content itself. The mainstream audience isn't anime fans so it has to carry it's own weight by some other means.

And yeah, I doubt the really weird one's would make it here. They'd have to stick with simple action titles and such. One's that require very little thought and have plenty of eye candy.