Old 19-04-2001, 11:39 AM   #16   [permalink]
Sakuya
Executive Member

I use to own a Voodoo 3 3500TV and thought that was greatest thing since slice bread.

I use to be a huge 3DFX fan, they had great driver support they practically revolutionised the 3D PC gaming world.

Even when Nvidia came into the picture with their TNT and their TNT2 I still stuck with 3DFX, but the bottomline is I had to face facts no matter how much I enjoyed 3DFX's products the company simply don't exsist anymore. Nvidia bought them out plain and simple, accept it and move on.

My next card purchase would have to be based on what I need from it and what possible future it has, cause face it in the PC world technological increases is so fast, that not everyone can really afford upgrade every 6 months, I dunno about other people but I would like to see my video card last longer than a year, before seeing it obsolete.

Personally when I reccomend video cards or any PC parts I try to keep objective about things, and say what would more than likely be best for the consumer. For a company that doesnot exsist anymore and people are asking they want to upgrade their cards, I can not and will not say that 3DFX products now is the best. If anyone is dead set certain on getting a 3DFX card so be it, I am not there to change their minds, although I am willing to give them the information they might need (ie. telling them that 3DFX no long exsists and the reprocussions) and they can obviously go make a better and more informed decision.

You should give the pros and cons of any card, in regards to this posting, all so far I've read prior to any of my postings were people saying how great they are, ok so that's fine we have enough people saying how great it is, what about informing them of the cons and possibily offer alternatives, so when they actually go buy the card they know exactly what to expect.

I did not say the Voodoo 5 5500 was a "lousy crap arse card don't get it" or anything similar to that, anywhere in my postings I did not say "do not buy this card", all I just did was give the information and the readers can go make up their own minds.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2001, 01:37 PM   #17   [permalink]
bloodgod
Forum Master

Voodoo iz alwayz been the "BEST" if U ask me.
My voodoo2 12MB iz stil giving a dam nice preformance.
One of my friends got one and it kickz azz compered 2 my other friends FX-cardz (all sortz of stuff).

Anybody wanna know what a Geforce 3 iz?

A voodoo 5/6 with Nvidiaz T&L (Voodoo 6 was almostfinnish)
bloodgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2001, 01:54 PM   #18   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to 928GTS Send a message via AIM to 928GTS
Anyhoo,Im still a fan and im going to continue being a fan i dont care what you say like "Geforce 3 is better" I DONT CARE! Nvidia is a bunch of money hungry freaks who have no heart! 3DFX actually supported the games(Their tech support was like NO OTHER) I owned a TNT2 i hated it i just stuck back in my Metabyte V2 and waited till i got my Voodoo 5 which i love to death!

Also all those people who keep bashing this card can cram it! Geez you dont see me bashing the card(of course the company is a different story)I bet they ARENT going to revive 3DFX because they want no competition(besides ATI)because they a bunch of money hogs!Thats all they want money money and more money! 3DFX had some of the most kindest people on their side. As for Nividia i dont want to get into that(buncha sleezebags)
I cant stand the way they come on the phone!

Also 3DFX BULIT a site JUST FOR THE GAMERS! Do you see ANY of that on Nvidia's site? I dont think so!
More in a sec
928GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2001, 02:00 PM   #19   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

I wrote this up awhile back on a different board it will serve ts purpose here.This is why i HATE nvidia

Back in the 90's 3DFX started up then they released the voodoo series this shocked the world then came the voodoo 2,3,4 and 5.All through this time they were competing with NVidia,their biggest rivals.They were mostly successful but they had their down times but they came back strong with products like the voodoo 3.

Now NVidia isnt actually i video card MANUFACTURER they just make the chips of the cards and send them to companys like creative and then they use the chip for their graphics cards.

So basically 3DFX was gertting cheated,no way could they match the TOTAL sales of all those compainies that use for example the Geforce chip so that was one of the reasons why they died.Also quit bragging saying that the GF2 is faster,The GF2 was made for a totally different buyer!

So quit bashing it when you know you are going to be proved wrong about it!I had a voodoo 2 and a TNT 2 before...i sold the TNT2 4 weeks after i got it the card was terrible it was VERY driver picky plus my voodoo 2 was just about as fast as the TNT.I had my voodoo 2 for 2 years of long service and the only reason i replaced it was because the voodoo5's were out and i wanted one,i have one and have NEVER had any troubles since(cept that wierd fan deal but thats fixed).

Ive had nothing but trouble and bad times from nvidia call me biased,i dont care these are off my own real life experiences with video card sure the reviews say the GF DDR is faster but not by much actually due to the V5's speed it BEATS the GF DDR at high resolutions sure the V5 doesnt have T&L but the gaming industry still isnt ready yet yes it provides an nice performance boost but nothing elsesince NO/FEW games EVEN SUPPORT IT!Besides the GF2 or ANY GF is soo picky with drivers each month a truckload of drivers are released and there you are trying to figure out which driver provides he best performance but with 3DFX's drivers they do he tweaking for you you just install em and you can tweak them to your likings also.

This isnt a bash its my view bashing is kind of like perjudice the people who bash 3DFX probably havent even owned a voodoo or 3DFX product in their LIFE!They just want to go with the in crowd and bash 3DFX to the high heavens im not bashing NVIDIA either i just think that they just dont make them like 3DFX does and costumer support again,that now 3DFX support is non existant im talking about back when 3DFX was still with us.

They had the best costumer support ever they gave me quick answers and theyd respond to my emails in sometimes 1 hour!Nvidia i had nothing but trouble with! The tech people had the IQ of a doorknob he knew NOTHING! Thats partially why i sold my TNT So ya see im no fan of NVIDIA at all from my experiences.

Last edited by 928GTS; 19-04-2001 at 02:06 PM.
Old 19-04-2001, 02:03 PM   #20   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
GTS, you seem more pissed with the tech support than the actual product...why are you so familiar with 3DFX's tech support anyway? Shouldn't a well-made product be free of reasons to call them?

You've played with a TNT2, great, but have you used a GeForce 2? You can't compare a TNT2 to a V5...that's unfair.

I have a Voodoo 3 at home and I'm happy with it...but when I upgrade in a few months I'm getting a dual-head Matrox.
Old 19-04-2001, 02:06 PM   #21   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

Drizz you missed it i was comparing a TNT with a V2.Oh and the TNT would never work right,It was slow too(well the v2 wasnt much faster lol)

Last edited by 928GTS; 19-04-2001 at 02:07 PM.
Old 19-04-2001, 02:14 PM   #22   [permalink]
bloodgod
Forum Master

928GTS UR wight 'bout "Don't bash Nvidia" but realise that we, those who trust and love 3Dfx, hates Nvidia BiG TiMe ! ! !.
Death 2 Nvidia !!! 3Dfx 4 EvEr !!!
bloodgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2001, 06:25 AM   #23   [permalink]
cpt._saddam
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to cpt._saddam
Nvidia suxx. I will keep and use my V5 as long as at all possible.
cpt._saddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2001, 09:30 AM   #24   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

I had my V2 for 2 YEARS! It was driver picky but a great card!
Old 21-04-2001, 11:06 AM   #25   [permalink]
cpt._saddam
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to cpt._saddam
Good old V2...we'll never forget you.
cpt._saddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2001, 06:33 PM   #26   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

Yeah i had that thing running at 110mhz!(that was high)Ahhh 12MB of RAM those were the dayz
Old 22-04-2001, 11:54 AM   #27   [permalink]
Larva
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Larva Send a message via AIM to Larva
Well I have a V5 5500 and in all honesty its not all its cracked up to be.

All benchmarks are won by the GeForce, its really the card to get. Once the GeForce 3 drops to around 350 I will swap out.

In short, I was dissapointed by my card.
Larva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2001, 11:55 AM   #28   [permalink]
928GTS
Banned

GF3 is just a GF2 Ultra ive seen the benchmarks nothing special AT ALL
Old 22-04-2001, 12:01 PM   #29   [permalink]
Larva
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Larva Send a message via AIM to Larva
Well the problem with the GF3 is that no software currently developed can make use of the advanced chipset.

Thats the biggest reason why you shouldn't run out and get one on release day. Not to mention release price is 700 dollars if I am correct.
Larva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2001, 05:31 PM   #30   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Quote:
Originally posted by 928GTS
GF3 is just a GF2 Ultra ive seen the benchmarks nothing special AT ALL
Please post the benchmarks and list the test used. That's crap, GTS. Here's why:

Quote:
Says The Tech Zone:
The GeForce3 is shaking up the gaming industry’s view of what is achievable in consumer level computer graphics...

GeForce3’s new high-resolution antialiasing (HRAA) capability uses a Quincunx pattern to achieve high quality, smooth edges at frame rates that are well above the optimum level for fluid game play. Combine that with the incredible speed made possible by NVIDIA’s Lightspeed Memory Architecture and the result is amazing visual effects at equally amazing frame rates...

The Lightspeed Memory Architecture makes GeForce3 the fastest GPU ever produced. Through its patented crossbar memory controller and Z-Occlusion Culling (to only render visible pixels), GeForce3 generates the power to deliver earth-shattering performance at all resolutions...

World's Fastest DDR Memory Interface
7.36GB per second memory subsystem ensures peak performance and the smoothest frame rates ever...
The only believable reasons why a GF3 would do bad on benchmarks are it's drivers are still in development and software to take advantage of it's hardware has not been created. You cannot simply say there is nothing special about the GF3, not when it will be powering the Xbox, cost you nearly $600, and eventually be available with 128MB of RAM. Keep an open mind.