Old 03-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #1   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
Mac??

I got a job as the technology teacher at a school and all their computers are mac's.

I think most are on OS X. Anyhow is MAc for dummies any good? (the book)
and there are a few emacs' a few imacs and a few g3's so i need a book that covers them all.

It was a little embarressing when i walked in as the computer expert and didnt even know how to turn a mac on ^^ it only took me about 20 minutes to find the button

oh, my first lesson is this monday.

secondly, does anyone know how to use
excel
powerpoint

?

This term ill be focused on word till i can figure out how to use these programs effectively myself.

Bah, macs, madness.

I also need to know how to network the whole school. The lab is wired, but i think there are a few wireless networks about the place

I do know i use mac OS X Server 10.28 or something.

HALP!!!!

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #2   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
I wouldn't rely on a book to figure out how to use computers; either experimentation or first-hand demonstration is the best way to get them, the former being better of two for long-term usage.

They are still computers, and they operate on the same principles that are to PCs as well. Think of them as highly customised computers for a computer company, kinda like how IBM puts their logos when you boot IBM computers on, except it's all over the system, and so is the operation system.

Just 'borrow' one and play around, you'll get it in no time.

Excel is a spreadsheet program. You put numbers and strings into boxes, and put formulaes into them too if you want to do calculation work and whatnot. Ask another teacher, should take you 2 hours at most to figure out the concept.

PowerPoint is presentation program, so you just type something into a slide, and make a new one. When you're presenting you press space bar or click it and a slide goes by once, or an animation if you have it on the presentation screen. Simple to get, an hour I say.

How to network the whole school... this is kinda iffy, since all networks are different. And since there aren't any more info on this, I can't help.

Good luck. You'll enjoy Macs (even though I rarely used them) when you get them. Funny things they are.

And I thought OS X version was up to 10.3x these days, and heard people screaming to upgrade it if you didn't have the latest o_O
Old 03-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #3   [permalink]
Zar

Kinda of reminds me of my first experience with a Mac, it took me so long to find out how to open the CD-rom drive ,I felt like an idiot a a but finally asked somebody. Now I love Macs though , mostly for Adobe programs. But just like what was stated earlier experimentation is the best way to get used to them, its all fun for those who like using computers.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #4   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

yeah i was opening up itunes then ejecting the cdrom through there.
Then i saw a teacher press the eject button on the keyboard ^^.

They also had 3 Xp machines int he library which hadnt been working properly for ages. I was told i would ahve to do a whole bunch of virus related stuff to get them to work.

All it was was a rotated screen and disabled netwoking on one. No ethernet drivers on the second and a few loose connections on the third. In less than 10 minutes i had those machines running how i wanted them to.

I bought Mac for dummies tonight and start teaching classes on monday.

It shouldnt be too bad.

Today i was reinstalling OS 9 over the X machines to allow most of their software to actually work.

Why the hell would a school upgrade to an OS that they have no software for and do not plan on getting software for??

If i had my way we would have all ibm XP machines.

ATh
Old 06-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #5   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
Because Mac OS X is more stable than Mac OS 9. And in any case, Mac OS X supports Mac OS 9 applications through Classic.

There's no more differences between Microsoft Office 2004 and Microsoft Office 2003, than between Microsoft Office 2003 and Microsoft Office 2000. The differences are all in the menus.

And I think you'll come to like the Macintosh machines; certainly when you realize how much time you save on not having to delete spyware, spamware, and viruses every second week. That's not to say Macintoshes are trouble free, there's lots of glitches there too - they're just less prominent and usually less annoying.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #6   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

... well if they are less annoying that was a recent development I actuallys started out with macs in the early 80's ... and let me tell you from expensive and hardwon experience ( I ended up going through 128k Mac, "Fat Mac" (upgrade) Mac SE, Mac II, MacIIX, Powerbook 180 ... then at that point I quit being the "high priest" of Mac ...

I calculated that the money spent to keep these babies running ... over the years ... was in the 10s of thousands of dollars I will admit though, that at the beginning, the user interface was light years ahead of the nacent Microsoft (or Ibm solution) ... but this issue IMO has become moot ... pricing ... Macs (while the price has come down) ... are still more expensive than an Intel/AMD based solution ... software? ... correct me if I am wrong here ... but the ratio is still something like 20/80% in favor of windows platoforms ... as for the schools, well they had a huge headstart there with the popularity of the Apple II line and so are somewhat entrenched there.

Give me a modern build windows platform anyday .... hardware (building and mods) are relatively easy, parts are more than plentiful, selection is much greater than with mac, installed supply infrastructure is vastly larger ... and the hardware evolution seems to be more robust than that with the Mac ...

Heck, you can even tailor your machine to your usage preferences by CPU performance profile ... AMD/gaming vs. Intel/encoding-bus apps.

... what I can't figure out is how schools justify the ongoing promotion of a non standard ... granted if you are going into the graphics industry (which I am in) then I can see the promotion of Macs to a degree ... but the real world? Some Linux variant and a microstoft solution will in all probability greatly dominate the computing landscape for years to come.

I will provide an example ... I work for a large HMO in hawaii ... we have in excess of 4500 employees that represent the Hawaii Region ... and we have 1 Mac node (self supported) - which comprises about 8 machines ... out of the 100's deployed in our local intranet. ... and they are a pain to work with in regards to file transfer protocols/fonts/program-file compatability ...

... add to this, the typical response to unexpected problems - "... its not working ... I'll get back to you in a bit ... our Mac Guru is in the bahamas for the month ... sorry.

spyware? trojans? viruses? ... yes they can be a problem if left untreated or ignored, but like the human body, if you are even moderately dilligent in updates/patchs and appropriate protective measures then you should be fine ... I have and use a number of machines (at home and at work) that have not needed significant overhauls in years (upgraded to XP though ... which is easy if you have a separate OS partition)

...and yes they are connected to the internet ...

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 AM   #7   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

i have no idea why they keep it up with apples. i wish they would dump them and get real pc's.

hell i lost the only g3 left today. keeps going up into some sort of mode where it wants to flash something...

had to break out the laptops just so all the kids had a place to work

ATh
Old 08-02-2005, 06:14 PM   #8   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
Windows is nice if you have users who've learned to not use Internet Explorer. Problem is, most haven't, and insist on still using it. Most of the PCs are too old for Windows XP SP2 too.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #9   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Nulani
Windows is nice if you have users who've learned to not use Internet Explorer. Problem is, most haven't, and insist on still using it. Most of the PCs are too old for Windows XP SP2 too.
You have a point there ... IE is not exactly Gods gift to web surfers

... as for you second point, I would say yes that is true, but the flipside to that is that the older machines are still in use and remain viable from the perspective of specific applications or basic (read non power user) applications.

I suppose one of my biggest beefs with Apple is that they had a chance to a global player ... but Steve Jobs in a nutshell is a boob ... had Apple gone open architecture/generous licensing aggreements with third parties ... the IBM pc would have bitten the dust.

I vividly remember a large group of my friends hashing this all out with the introduction of the original Mac vs. the orginal IBM pc ... we shook our heads then in bewilderment and can only look at it now as Apples biggest lost opportunity.

This notion of open architecture which apple is intimately aware of through their Apple II line ... somehow missed the boat ... whereas the early IBM PCs were actually SAVED by the intrinsic modularity of construction/upgrade/modification despite having a crappy OS and being initially overpriced.

Sometimes I wonder what is going through the minds of the Corporate Management types ...

Sam

Last edited by SamIam; 08-02-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 21-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #10   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Which would've been fine, hadn't Internet Explorer been one of those basic applications.

If Apple had gone open architecture, we'd be saying the same things about them as we're saying about Microsoft and PCs. And the same about Microsoft and PCs as we're saying about Apple. There'll always be the beloved and hated monopoly and the equally beloved and hated underdog. But yes, Apple blew it.
Old 21-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #11   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Which would've been fine, hadn't Internet Explorer been one of those basic applications.

<haha ... no arguments!

In fact if you ever find the need, Firefox seems to be much more stable and resistent to the type of vulnerabilities found in IE .. and its free ... <thumbs nose in the direction of the programmers responsible for core IE code >

If Apple had gone open architecture, we'd be saying the same things about them as we're saying about Microsoft and PCs. And the same about Microsoft and PCs as we're saying about Apple. There'll always be the beloved and hated monopoly and the equally beloved and hated underdog. But yes, Apple blew it.

Well, IMO things would have been simpler and more self correcting if the reverse were true ... say for example that Apple kept with the winning formula from the get go ... this would have had the following benefits:

1. Much better continuity in the school system from logistics to realistic expectations of usage in the workaday world.

2. Better global standards for the consumer who wants is seeking the safest investment for the money.

3. Any third party that wanted to challenge such a user base would be HIGHLY motivated to produce a truly superior product one better in most if not all ways ... thats the only chance it would have against the established norm.

4. From the get go, the issue of advanced GUI would have been accepted and adopted from day one ... as a concept and not as a ideological statment

Gee, as it turned out ... it was Apple = great idea with major flaws

... opens door to conventional (but much larger) competitors with ho hum product ...

... apple creates love hate relationship with users and community at large ...

... competitors machines still dull but improving

... apple becomes somewhat schizophrenic in order to be all to everyone ... but satisfy no one ... machines still expensive but getting more flexible and lower in price.

... competitors machines not bad and improving + low cost and market share

... apple applies style and finesse as image over software development ...

... competitors machines pretty good GUI + all other advantages

... apple opens up completely to the reality of Windows but too late ... (besides Bill bailing out Apple that is :\)

... as it stands now? IMO GUI pretty darn good + all the other advantages + third party browser hee hee

... the future of Apple? Who knows, perhaps absorbed by someone else ala General Motors ... Bill are you interested???

p.s. I love underdogs ... but they have to be very smart, very quick and have a tactical sense of timing that would have made David smile

Sam
Old 25-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #12   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

As long as iPod and iTunes fare as well as they do, nothing will happen to Apple. I do see it as probable that they'll port Mac OS X to i386 and scrap Macintosh sometime in the more distant future though: When ia64 becomes more common and Microsoft Windows starts losing its stronghold.

Last edited by Nulani; 03-03-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #13   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Nulani
As long as iPod and iTunes fare as well as they do, nothing will happen to Apple. I do see it as probable that they'll port Mac OS X to i386 and scrap Macintosh sometime in the more distant future though: When ia64 becomes more common and Microsoft Windows starts losing it stronghold.
I hope so ... monopolies are hell on true progress and innovation

Sam