Old 18-10-2003, 07:31 AM   #1   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Question Alternative internet browsers

Well the situation at the moment is my Internet Explorer is real sluggish for some reason, scrolls slow, typing in reply boxes is slow, well generally everything is slow. I don't know wtf is wrong with it so at the moment I'm using Opera which is okay but with sites with different coloured scrollbars it doesn't show up.

So does anybody have suggestions on some good internet browsers like Internet Explorer which I can use for the moment till I get around to trying to fix Internet Explorer or to reformat ...
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2003, 11:06 AM   #2   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani

I wouldn't have high hopes about any of them supporting coloured scrollbars though, coloured scrollbars aren't accepted into the w3c yet.

Last edited by Nulani; 18-10-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2003, 11:51 AM   #3   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
I tweaked with Mozilla ever since the first alpha on a monthly basis and it got a little bit faster but then the Netscape inspired bloat set in (email and chat and news and and and) so I gave up. Opera lasted five minutes on my computer but the first time I used Mozilla Firebird marked the last time I ever used IE.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2003, 07:59 PM   #4   [permalink]
Atomic
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Atomic Send a message via MSN to Atomic
ie pisses me off. u have no control at all. Things popup here there n everywhere, and u dont know what could be saving what to your hard drive

I like bits of Mozilla and I like bits of Opera. What I want is something that is both Mozilla and Opera...Something like Opzamillera

Lynx is good too
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2003, 03:51 AM   #5   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

I tried Mozilla, it was okay, is it some sort of changed version of Netscape?
Also what's the difference between Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird?
Old 19-10-2003, 11:42 AM   #6   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Quote:
Originally posted by orochi X
I tried Mozilla, it was okay, is it some sort of changed version of Netscape?
Also what's the difference between Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird?
MozillaFirebird made as a spin off to Mozilla is a completely different browser focusing on minamilism. Tabbed browsing is just sooooo good with Firebird, and with advanced popup blocking, image blocking, cookie blocking built right into the browser.

Very silm and very fast. Faster than IE in my experience and is less of a resource hog. Something that Mozilla has never been.

Mozilla 0.7 stable is available here and at only 6mb it isn't going to hurt you to download. Just unzip and run MozillaFirebird.exe. Simple. Try it!

Last edited by MrBS; 19-10-2003 at 11:48 AM.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2003, 04:08 PM   #7   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
Quote:
Originally posted by Atomic
ie pisses me off. u have no control at all. Things popup here there n everywhere, and u dont know what could be saving what to your hard drive

I like bits of Mozilla and I like bits of Opera. What I want is something that is both Mozilla and Opera...Something like Opzamillera

Lynx is good too
Lynx is nice, but it is a bit only to browse in text only.

----

I reccomend Mozilla Firebird too.
Old 19-10-2003, 07:18 PM   #8   [permalink]
Magnus9
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Magnus9 Send a message via MSN to Magnus9
I also recommend Firebird. Very good browser.

Life is Peachy
Magnus9
Magnus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2003, 12:25 AM   #9   [permalink]
Timon
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
I dl'd and installed Firebird, and it's very nice and all (besides changing all my image icons...). Anyway I went to Adult Swims website and desided to check out the Anime convention whatever clips, but it happens that I needed a RealPlayer plugin, and I hadn't dl'd that for Firebird yet, so it opens the window for RealPlayer's site and now it seems to just be a pay thing with a trial and it automatically starts charging you if you forget to cancel? (I havn't visited their site in a loooong time, don't like em... totally hate em now).
So then I'm like hm, no, I'll just use IE for this site (since it already has all those plugins). Anyway, I go to the site and in the little RealPlayer window it starts doing its thing, but right after it finishes the "Buffering" phase and is about to play, the whole IE window closes/crashes.

Anyone know what the heck is going on? I'm sure it's just some obscure setting deep in the registry or something that needs a changing... I really hate things like this, why can't all programs just... get along?

Last edited by Timon; 20-10-2003 at 12:26 AM.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2003, 05:46 AM   #10   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Well I'm gonna use Firebird at the moment before I get around to fixing up the computer. It's much faster them Mozilla and the tabbing thing which I liked in Opera is in Firebird which is great. It'll take a while before I get used to it ..