Old 15-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up From Up on Poppy Hill

This film from Studio Ghibli is now in commercial release in the US. From Up on Poppy Hill is co-written by the great Hayao Miyazaki, but directed by his son Goro Miyazaki.

This is a tender adolescent love story set in 1964 around the attempts by a group of students to save their historic club house from destruction by their school. It brings the independently minded and responsible Umi close to Shun, a natural leader. But their love is threatened by a family secret which demands they never become lovers.

From Up on Poppy Hill is a sweet, innocent film, but may be a bit too much for very young children. Children under 6, forget it. For 6 through 9, it depends on the kid. For ages 10 and up it is fine -- and it is fine for adults as well.

The animation is much better than what you see on TV. It is softer and move natural than most of what you see in movies. The animation sets no new standards, but for Studio Ghibli it does not have to. The old tricks work just fine.

See this film in theaters while you can. It may not be around long. I was the only one at the 7:35 showing.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #2   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

That reminds me... I gotta find my DVD to watch it...