Old 02-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #1   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
Keylogger

No i am not asking for one, nor how to get rid of one.

I am wanting to know a little bit more about how they work. From their title they would log only the keys pressed.

But do they also log infomation which has been cut and paste? what about if you jumbled up the way you typed the information, would it use the jumbled one or are they sophisticated enough to also log mouse clicks and such?

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 AM   #2   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
The basic keyloggers just log (say, put it in a file of sort) all the keys that's been pressed, in sequence, since the program was run. Usually sits as a daemon (background program). Basic ones would log that ctrl + c has been pressed, but no more, but then again, a program is a program and it can do anything... Yes, logging mouse positions of where it clicked is possible to log.

But keyloggers usually are used to figure out what the password is of someone else's password, and not for logging where to click the mouse.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #3   [permalink]
solenmwarning

if you are running winblows either bash the machine with a big hammer or install linux, if its a linux keylogger:

1. open a console such as xterm
2. type ps aux and hit the enter key with a brick, ok dont hit it with a brick
3. check the process list and find the pid of your keylogger and if the location of they keylogger is in the command write it down
4. kill the logger with kill pid
5. run ps aux again
6. if the logger is still there type kill -9 pid
7. check the boot services for the keylogger, if it is not there check the cron jobs of the user who was running it incase the command was triggered at boot by a user cron job, once u find it remove it from booting
8. reboot
9. open a console again and run ps aux, if the keylogger is there kill it again, remove the boot job again and delete the keylogger app, then do a search for anything with whatever the keylogger was called in the filename, delete anything u find if u think its keylogger, beware there are many system files with names such as key.
10. if that dont work try an anti-spyware or an anti-virus
solenmwarning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #4   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

When I lived in a guest house, I used to leave my laptop in the lobby at night. I suspected someone was using it, so I downloaded a keylogger............I found out who it was. And, got access to his e-mail and online banking account

My n00b=ADdispatcher
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote