Old 31-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Unhappy D. Grey-man

What or who is D. Gray-man? What does it mean? Maybe the following will answer your question.

Allen Walker is an teenage exorcist who joins the Black Order. Their mission is to destroy the Akuma. The Akuma are creatures who contain the souls of those they kill. They are created by the evil Millennium Earl.

Now do you understand what D. Gray-man is? Neither do I. I have no idea how this series got its name. But I have only watched disc 1, episodes 1-7. Much of the story so far involves Allenís first Black Order assignment, where he works with another exorcist named Kanda, who does not like Allen very much. We also find out about Allenís dark past -- a bit too early in the series, if you ask me.

It is a long series, so I am only watching the English dub and not watching it a second time with the Japanese dub and subtitles. But thatís OK. D. Grey-man is not exactly mind candy.

Then there is the Millennium Earl. For a character who is supposed to be evil, couldnít they make him appear a bit more. . . . Well, a bit more scary? This guy looks like a cut-rate clown. How anybody could be afraid of Earl is beyond me.

So far the series does not seem like anything special, but it is a bit entertaining. So I will stay with it for now. More on the series as I complete the other discs.

Meanwhile, if you want to respond, as always please no spoilers!

Last edited by MeMyself; 10-02-2012 at 12:10 AM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
awesome show that i wish would be finished

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
awesome show that i wish would be finished
Do you mean its still going on? How many seasons are there? I'm getting the discs from Netflix, and they have the first two seasons.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #4   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
No they took a break i think and havent started back up agian

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 2 of D. Grey-man, that is episodes 8-13. Immediately Allen and the Black Order are faced with an unexpected potential catastrophe! I already mentioned this is a long series. Well, only eight episodes in and . . . WE ALREADY GET A FILLER EPISODE! That’s right! Episode 8 has nothing at all do to with the storyline.

When the story continues in episode 9, Allen is teamed with a female exorcist named Lenalee. She’s kind of cute and would probably get a rise out of a normal 15-year-old. But Allen has other worries. They travel to a town where time has stopped. This is a story with promise. Unfortunately for the next four episodes we get a retread of things we have seen in other action animes. I know the problem with long series is that if they go on too long the creators run out of ideas. (How many times did Inuyasha repeat itself?) But running out of original ideas by episode 9? That has to be a record.

I will watch the next disc to see how the series fares. If it doesn’t get any better, I will drop it.

BTW, I still don’t know why they call the series D. Grey-man.

Last edited by MeMyself; 06-02-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I wanted to get through disc 3 ASAP. Needless to say, I decided not to continue with the series. Iím stopping with episode 20. Itís not that D. Gray-man is a poorly made series. Itís that it fails to live up to its promise, and quite frankly I find it uninteresting.

First, Alan has a dark past. It is revealed to us a bit too early in the series. I guess the writers figured out it was OK since it does not seem to have anything to do with the basic story other than serving as a set-up. Alanís dark past could have influenced his makeup and outlook. It doesnít.

Second, there are times the series gets a bit repetitive. On disc 3, there is a two episode storyline. I each episode about five minutes are spent giving the exact same back story. Once would have been enough.

Third, the series is not even half way over before we get another filler episode!

Fourth, there are times the series gets just too silly. The comic relief overtakes the drama and action.

I guess I will never find out if Alan makes it with Lenalee. I will never find out who or what D. Gray-man is. But then again, who cares?