Old 15-05-2002, 08:39 PM   #1   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
"I want to make love to my SISTER!!!"

Often I wondered how many times the english VA must have broken into tears or laughter just reciting that phrase. I've just recently watched Angel Sanctuary the 3 episode OVA series. I was quite shocked if not disturbed with the story since it was extremely twisted with so many things happening all at the same time. OH, and dont mention all the twisted love triangles lying around. sheesh, that almost gave me a headache!

I've heard a lot of good reviews about Angel Sanctuary although I was really disappointed in the way the OVA turned out. The animation was exceptional but the way the action was delivered was poorly done. Too many things were happening all at the same time. Perhaps it was the way cheesy lines were being delivered by some of the VA's or perhaps the history of the war that broke out and all its injustices were just too much to take... I didn't quite like it but I DID like the love triangles mixed in with a few Yaoi here and there...

It was worth my $30 I guess... now the question is... How is the manga a lot better than the OVA? Does it explain a lot of what's going on? Is Sarah simply human or is she something else that's related to this intricate web of conspiracy created to take control of Heaven? Why on earth was it ordained for Setsuna to fall inlove with his sister? o_O Was that all mapped out? Does anyone but me find the lines "I want to make love to my sister!!!" disturbing?

Anyway, I know this forum is quiet but... I WANT ANSWERS!!! make some noise.
Old 19-05-2002, 03:26 AM   #2   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
$30 for 1 DVD? ----, that is how much I pay in AUS dollars..

I liked it too, albeit the incestual thing, even if it IS explained.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2002, 03:38 PM   #3   [permalink]
Reiha

Many of my friends read the first books of the serie, and generally, those who don't have any sisters or brothers were less shocked than the others. I'm an only child and honestly, I don't find this incestual relationship disturbing at all... It's probably because I can't imagine what it is to grow up with someone else.

I only saw the first OVA and it's good, but I really like more the manga. Here the DVDs are about 40$ each and I really can't afford that.
Old 25-05-2002, 11:28 AM   #4   [permalink]
assyria
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to assyria
NOISE AND ANSWERS? I can do noise and answers! Prepare for a long post! Now where to startÖ..

Quote:

... How is the manga a lot better than the OVA? Does it explain a lot of what's going on?
Okay the OVA is very complicate because it condenses the first 3 and a bit manga (roughly 13-14 parts) in to one OVA. Incidentally the entire manga series runs for 20 volumes, so only the very tip is shown in the OVA. Lots of info, action and characters are cut because of this and events are modified and happen it different order.

For example, in the manga,

-Setsuna gets in to fight with Katoís gang (the guys that are beating him up at the start of the OVA), long before the Tokyo blackout and Rocielís awakening.

-Itís Adam Kadmon who tells Setsuna to kill Kira/nanatsusaya (seven edged sword) not Rociel. In fact Rociel wasnít even there when Alexiel finally "awoke" and blow up most off Tokyo.

I donít think it was mentioned that the year was 1999 either in the OVA. Maybe they thought weíd get it confused with X, as it is too many people think AS is a CLAMP work, which itís not!

Anyway thatís just the startÖ..

Quote:
I was quite shocked if not disturbed with the story since it was extremely twisted with so many things happening all at the same time. OH, and dont mention all the twisted love triangles lying around. sheesh, that almost gave me a headache!
So you think itís twisted? You havenít seen anything yet! There are still the archangels, the elemental angel, fallen angels, the seven satans and all the other characters that either want to kill setsuna and/or Alexiel or are obsessed with Setsuna and/or Alexiel. Some both. Then thereís the connection between all these characters and when you think have that all figured out you find that everyone is really someone else! Confused yet?

AS is probably one of the most complex manga I have ever read and Yuki-sama is also renowned for her very twisted plot lines. But once you know your Shikoutenfrom your Jahannam youíre pretty much right though

Quote:
Too many things were happening all at the same time. Perhaps it was the way cheesy lines were being delivered by some of the VA's or perhaps the history of the war that broke out and all its injustices were just too much to take... I didn't quite like it but I DID like the love triangles mixed in with a few Yaoi here and there...
Were you watching the dub or the sub? I havenít heard the dub yet and am wondering whether the laugh would be worth $60. I didnít think it was too cheesy so Iíll assume it was the dud you saw.

The anime really tells you nothing of the war. Or perhaps itís just explained better in the manga. You also get more on the Evils (kuraiís race) which is all but left of the OVA. Also the injustices of heaven and the hypocritical nature of angels are much better and much more interestingly explored in the manga. Lots of different religious aspects are looked at too. If you liked the love triangles in the anime well they get better and much more complicated in the manga as more characters become involved. Yaoi certainly doesnít disappear eitherÖ..

Quote:
Why on earth was it ordained for Setsuna to fall inlove with his sister? o_O Was that all mapped out? Does anyone but me find the lines "I want to make love to my sister!!!" disturbing?
Well in fear of too much of a spoiler I wonít answer those first two, but Iím not really bothered by the fact Setsuna is in love or wants to make love (Which they did in the thrid OVA ep.) with his sister. I found one of the main themes in AS to be that you love regardless of gender, position or relation. Plus Setsuna and Saraís relationship is one of the less weird in the manga series.

Quote:
Is Sarah simply human or is she something else that's related to this intricate web of conspiracy created to take control of Heaven?

THIS IS A SPOIlOR FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ AT LEAST TO BOOK 6 IN THE MANGA!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sara is the reincanation of Gabriel or Jubile (donít think thatís spelt right?) the water element angel and head Cherubim (which is one of the nine levels of angel choirs. A high one too if Iím not mistaken itís the third or second highest. ) as expected she also has a very long and complicated story to go withÖ.. like what the hell sheís doing as Setsunaís sister!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
END SPOILER

Okay thatís all I come up with off the top of my head, but if you still want to know more or if you need something explained a bit more just ask
Old 10-09-2002, 12:09 PM   #5   [permalink]
chasta
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to chasta Send a message via AIM to chasta Send a message via MSN to chasta Send a message via Yahoo to chasta
Wow, that was an interesting post, assyria! I saw the OVA a while back ago and remember watching it a couple times before returning it. (I rented the DVD at BlockBuster.) I was impressed by it, but I think you might have convinced me to take a look at the manga.

BTW, is there only that one 3 ep. OVA of Angel Sanctuary, or is there more?

Also, to the person who started this thread (I'm sorry, I forgot your name already! ): I also found the line "I want to make love to my sister" hilarious! I laughed so hard when I heard it, it was just so bizaar. I found the bother/sister infatuation a little weird as well, but I also found the cousin thing in Sakura Diaries a little weird. Doesn't mean I didn't feel bad for the guy though. What an awful situation to be in...
Old 10-09-2002, 12:35 PM   #6   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
my name is posted on the thread. you couldn't have possibly missed it.

anyhoo, big thanks for Assyria for answering the questions. I have some of the manga but got confused with some of the events happening. Perhaps its a little more fast paced and jam packed with plot EVERY volume, unlike other manga that drags and takes 5 pages to explain or take on one scene before it moves on to the next.

I guess Sarah being an Angel makes a bit more sense... I NEED TO GET THE REST OF THE MANGA! I know exactly where to find the rest but for some odd reason, there's always a lack for volume 1.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:43 PM   #7   [permalink]
MamaPanda

I myself would award the "Most Hilariously Dubbed Line" award to "HE DOESN'T EXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST!"
MamaPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:12 PM   #8   [permalink]
assyria
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to assyria
Quote:
Originally posted by chasta
Wow, that was an interesting post, assyria! I saw the OVA a while back ago and remember watching it a couple times before returning it. (I rented the DVD at BlockBuster.) I was impressed by it, but I think you might have convinced me to take a look at the manga.
My work here is done Oh and no, there isn't anymore anime.

Last edited by assyria; 11-09-2002 at 08:38 AM.
assyria is offline   Reply With Quote