Old 20-01-2004, 03:35 PM   #1   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Send a message via AIM to Yui_Reborn
Question General Question about PHPBB forums

Hi all, I don't know anything really about PHP code, but my forum is PHPBB and it has a problem that I need to learn how to fix. The guy who set up my site, who knew PHP, has gone MIA .

My forum is at http://www.sterlingthecomic.com/forums. Generally it works fine, however, a certain percentage of the people that try to register never get their activation e-mail (and I don't mean it ends up in their spam folder, I mean they just never get it.) Sometimes when these people register a new account, they get an activation e-mail, and sometimes they just never do.

If fixing this problem involves going into the code, I do have access to the code so I could *try* to fix it, but I wouldn't do that unless I knew exactly what I had to fix.

Let me know if you've heard of this problem before, and certainly if you have any ideas about how to fix it! Thanks.
Old 20-01-2004, 05:43 PM   #2   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
It could be the code, but I doubt it is that simple. Or that complex. All depending. Also, you would probably be best off by asking this question on the PhpBB.com support forum, they have all the experts hanging around. Including the fellows who actually wrote the code.

Do you use the php(mail) function, or do you use a smtp server?

Last edited by Nulani; 20-01-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 03:53 AM   #3   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Send a message via AIM to Yui_Reborn
Originally Posted by Nulani
It could be the code, but I doubt it is that simple. Or that complex. All depending. Also, you would probably be best off by asking this question on the PhpBB.com support forum, they have all the experts hanging around. Including the fellows who actually wrote the code.

Do you use the php(mail) function, or do you use a smtp server?
Oh right, the PHPBB forum! I vaguely knew that that existed, and completely forgot -_-. Thanks a lot.

Actually, I kind of don't use either, I set up an IMAP based account (I think), but it seemed kind of iffy so for now I still use my yahoo! mail account.

Can you tell that I'm not a techie^^;;.
Old 21-01-2004, 04:09 AM   #4   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
phpBB can only use the mail function and smtp. But ask the question on the phpBB.com forums: If they can't help you, no one can.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #5   [permalink]
CitizenKane

Sometimes Hotmail can take several days to deliver these emails. I dunno why. So it could just be that delay. The other thing is some mail servers have nazi spam filtering. Not many thank God, but some do. So auto-emailers from unknown addresses are just discarded. It just doesn't reach the person at all. Also it is possible that the recipients have set their spam filtering to accept only emails from their contact lists or something (and for everything else to be deleted, ie NOT go into junk box).

To test the above theory, send them an email via the PHP mail function.

Code:
<?php
mail("whoever@whatever.com", "Testing", "Hope this goes through");
?>
If he gets it, then it's none of the above.

It might also be that your PHP.ini settings are incorrect.

But yeah, go to the PHPBB forums.
Old 29-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #6   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungAffen Send a message via MSN to AchtungAffen
I'm having a similar problem, and the phpbb forums have been of no help at all. I wonder where the ---- is the support team when you need them. From all the mail problem threads I read, very few where solved, and those solved where "talk to you host" or on UNIX hosts "change de sendmail_path".

But if your host has win your fucked.

The funny thing I have on my problem is as follows:
1) Unable to use smtp functions.
2) without smtp mass mail works
3) without smtp mail function fails when sending activation mails

Do you think they cared to help? ---- they didn't. I'm so angry!