Old 30-06-2005, 12:40 AM   #1   [permalink]
Magicfangirl
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Magicfangirl
The new series Complaints/Comments

OKAY. Their will be spoilers through my post. For the first DVD only. *ahem*

After watching it, and seeing a WHOLE bunch of new characters and their back stories just get thrown at us over the course of three episodes...I'm split.

I do have some opinions though.
[1] I think Ryoko's new voice is cute, but she can't handle Ryoko's 'sexy' voice. (The introduction scenes, the old her-in-tenchi's-bed-scene).

[2] I liked the charm of the original drawings. So old fashioned. I don't like the added CG ships either.

[3] Their faces aren't...well, drawn that nicely. No one looks nice with their freaked out expressions.

[4] WHAT IS WITH ALL THIS CRAP!? Yosho has a bossy wife? Tenchi's got a sister? Mihoshi is still ANNOYING? >,>

Anyone have other complaints or comments? Or is this whole Tenchi Forum still dead? ^^
Magicfangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:07 AM   #2   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Some of the new characters that were introduced or mentioned in the new OVA have shady background tidbits that you won't learn about until the final episode of the 3rd OVA.

Yosho's wife was someone he picked up during his long years of life. She was with GXP IIRC, which is why she was never there earlier. Tenchi's sister was kept a secret. Mihoshi was always annoying.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #3   [permalink]
Magicfangirl
Forum Addicted

I know some of them are from Tenchi GXP, but for those of us who haven't watched it, that's a lot of history to take in. (I tried to watch GXP. I couldn't stomach it)
I understand she was kept a secret but that's a very big secret. >,>
Old 02-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #4   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
So,

this sis the OVA 3 series ou are talking about?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #5   [permalink]
Magicfangirl
Forum Addicted

Well, the main topic was about Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki. I don't really know what OVA that is. >,> I've heard it's the third or the fourth. (I thought GXP was the third though...)
Old 05-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #6   [permalink]
Kouji Tamino

Originally Posted by Magicfangirl
Well, the main topic was about Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki. I don't really know what OVA that is. >,> I've heard it's the third or the fourth. (I thought GXP was the third though...)
All three OVAs are originally referred to as "Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki", but Pioneer /Geneon released the first two as simply "Tenchi Muyo!". The third was released by FUNimation with it's original name. "Tenchi Muyo!: GXP" is a TV series that is in continuity with the OVAs.
Kouji Tamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #7   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Magicfangirl
OK. Here's the run-down.

The original series was an OVA (non-TV, non-movie release). Then there was a followup OVA. This was considered canon since it was the original storyline and was by far the most interesting/complex.

The first TV series, "Universe" was a re-write of the story, but dumbed down. It contradicts the original series, so it is it's own time-line. The 1st and 3rd movies also seem to fit in with this timeline. In this one, the choice was Ryoko.

The second TV series "Tokyo" was another re-write of the story, but really dumbed down and animated very poorly. Many fans either ignore this one, or rant and rave how bad it was.

"GXP" was a spin-off series that fit in the original OVA timeline. Pretty well done when compared to the other spin-off series.

Then there was the Mihoshi Special, a bedtime story with all the characters with a Pretty Sammy magical girl character. It's its own storyline which seems somewhere inbetween the OVA and Universe.

From the Pretty Sammy concept, they made three spin-offs.
(1) In Tenchi Universe, the Time and Space mini-episodes, they had a Sasami's ideal dream world where she was the magical girl Pretty Sammy.

(2) The made a mostly lame, Tenchi in Tokyo-like Pretty Sammy OVA

(3) Then they made a fairly decent parody of Sailor Moon called Magic Projec t S.

The second movie, was a spin-off at the midpoint between OVA1 and OVA2.

Then there are the two manga series. They also seem to spin off on their own at some point from the OVAs.

Plus, there are three novels which are considered canon.
Old 24-02-2007, 05:44 AM   #8   [permalink]
Tenkawa
Executive Member

I will keep complaining about this to all that listen. But, my major complaint is that FUNimation spread the OAV's SEVEN episodes out over THREE DVDs and put ONE - ONE - ONE - YES you read correctly ONE episode on the last DVD. WTF!!!
Tenkawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #9   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Tenkawa
I will keep complaining about this to all that listen. But, my major complaint is that FUNimation spread the OAV's SEVEN episodes out over THREE DVDs and put ONE - ONE - ONE - YES you read correctly ONE episode on the last DVD. WTF!!!
But it came in the extra special metal collector box...