Old 09-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #1   [permalink]
deadpepper
Forum Junkie

Tenchi Novels

Where could I find the 3 Tenchi novels?
Do they tell the entire story or do they only tell the origins of the characters (and the absolutely huge family tree)?
What are the ISDN numbers of those novels?
Has anyone translated them yet?
Old 09-10-2003, 10:54 PM   #2   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
re: info on the three novels

I have the three novels. I got them from a place in Boston via an online order. I think the place is called Sasuga books.

Note that these are true novels, not the graphical novels. The text is a mixture of Hiragana and Kanji.

It would take quite an effort to translate this. I'm not aware of translations, except for a couple overviews of sections of interest. The well known site for this is http://homepage2.nifty.com/tatsuming...d/world_e.html

The novels are nice to have on a shelf, but they aren't going to be useful unless you are very good at reading Japanese ^_^
Old 25-11-2003, 08:15 PM   #3   [permalink]
deadpepper
Forum Junkie

So, what do they say? Is it the story from the start of Tenchi Muyo to the end of the 3rd oav? Perhaps even further? Or do these novels talk about the time before Tenchi?

So basically: What are the novels about?
Old 28-11-2003, 04:49 AM   #4   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

The novels are an entirely different beast. It's an alternate continuity, much like Tenchi Universe is compared to Tenchi Muyo the OVA. The difference though, is that while Universe and Shin Tenchi pretty much did a full rearangement of the series, the novels do refer to the events of Kagato as happening, and are supposed to take place after that. There are SOME differences though. The Light Hawk Wings don't exist in the novels as wings, only as the Light Hawk Sword, at least for Tenchi's LHW's.

In other words, the novels are an alternate version of the OVA, but are more like the OVA's than the two TV outings were.

Want to know an interesting fact? The second Tenchi Muyo Movie, Tenchi Muyo: Manatsu no Eve (known as Daughter of Darkness in the US), is NOT based on the OVA series, but is based on the novels.
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 10:21 AM   #5   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
That's a bit oversimplified, and thus misleading a bit...

(1) 2nd movie
The creative team was different for Tenchi Muyo OVA1, OVA2. The part that left wrote some novels and was the major creative force in the 2nd movie. So, for those who have not read the novels, the 2nd movie can be viewed as a alternate timeline springing from the OVA1/OVA2 split (i.e. where the intro music changes in the western Tenchi Muyo OVA boxset release)

(2) Three novels are very special
Of the large number of novels, manga and fan works. there are the "True Tenchi novels". These were by Masaki Kajishima and are thus considered "canon". These three books cover what happened before the OVA series took place.
* The first is about Jurai's history
* The second is about Yosho
* The third is about Washu
Translations are not available for these works, but there is something of an abstract posted at http://homepage2.nifty.com/tatsumingo/index_e.html

Note you can't bookmark to the page, so you have to click on "WORLD TENCHI", then on the link for the novels, then on the chaper overviews...

Last edited by iwakura; 28-11-2003 at 10:25 AM.
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote