Old 02-08-2002, 07:55 AM   #1   [permalink]
Pen2
Senior Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pen2
Location, Location, Lo...yeah.

Okay, this came up before and I said we'd wait until we got the actual forum before we discussed it. Now here it is, and here the discussion is.

Basically, what we have now is one huge thread for the entire session. When things amp up a bit (and I suppose I'm hoping they will. There are about three new players wanting in still), do we want to keep the RPG in that format? The other two options are that we have seperate threads for every RPG location (be it planet, or whatever fits at the time), or we have a thread for each little group of characters - i.e., one for the current ISSP crew, one for D & G, another for the Europa group, etc.

There's advantages and disadvantages for each, but I'm sure you don't need me to go over them as they're fairly clear cut for each option. Opinions? Silence? Pants?
Pen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 11:02 AM   #2   [permalink]
Commander Fuyutsuki
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Fuyutsuki Send a message via AIM to Commander Fuyutsuki
Re: Location, Location, Lo...yeah.

Really big thread- Seems to be working fine so far

Thread for each location- That'd be nice but we have to close them after each session and make new ones.

Thread for each group- Bad ------- idea. What happens when groups meet? Whose thread does the posting transfer? It'd probably cause confusion for teh players and readers.

Keep your roasries off my ovaries!

This quote of the week brough to you by Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Commander Fuyutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 11:26 AM   #3   [permalink]
DrZepp
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to DrZepp Send a message via AIM to DrZepp
hmm... It seems that soon most of the interaction is going to be on Europa. Deirdre and Griff are headed there, the ISSP group is headed there, and most of the other active players are there as well.
So far the 'one big thread' does seem to be doing fine. I say we hold it out like this until things start to get noticeably cramped... and when/if that happens we can seperate threads like we did with Balten in FF. Or we can seperate it by planet if a lot of people are in different places with no chance of meeting.

The solution for the titles not becoming confusing between sessions seems pretty easy. Each session has a name, so for instance we could do a thread called 'The World In Ice: Europa' in this one, and just change the first part for the next time we are on Europa in another session.
DrZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #4   [permalink]
Aku Shi
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Aku Shi Send a message via Yahoo to Aku Shi
*knows she is not actually accepted yet, but wants to give input into this, anyway* Hee.

I like the idea of sessions. It makes it seem more like the series in that aspect. And, in keeping in tradition with the series, wouldn't it be a good idea to name sessions after song titles or something along those lines?

As for splitting it up into different location, I don't really think you have to do that unless it gets really complicated. It seems to me, from the uh...two response you've gotten thus far, that the single thread for each session works pretty well.

Splitting it up into different threads for different groups would be very confusing and hard to play by, as Fuyutsuki-san said. I don't think that would be very good at all to have things divided like that. One of the first two options would be better.

Well, that's my unwanted two cents. Enjoy!! ^_^
Old 04-08-2002, 06:36 PM   #5   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

i'm not in yet either... but i've been reading along with everyone else...

i like Zepp's idea for session:location best.

for some people, it certainly may not be "too cramped" yet all in one session, but i already found it a bother... it's much more organised to be able to ask yourself "hmm.. what's going on in Europa?" "hmm... what's going on in Ganemede?" and being able to go straight there to find out rather than having to skip thru posts to read up on one associated area and come back to the ones you skipped to collectively read what's going on in another area.

the Final Fantasy RPG is very organised and simple when it comes to someone finding out what's going on around your character. i definitely think there should be "Session#1: Europa" for the people on Europa, "Session#1: Exodus" for the people in the Exodus when it's in mid space, "Session#1: Ganymede" for those corresponding, "Session#1: Dean's ship" for those there, and so on. it'd be so much simpler...

as for the idea of waiting until it gets "noticably crammed" {which, to me, it already is anyways}... why wait until things go wrong to try to fix them, when you can prepare for these problems ahead of time so that they never occur.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:31 AM   #6   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
CB isn't feeling cramped to me yet. Although separate threads does organize things a bit, it also means people in one thread tend to ignore what is happening in others. While some may argue that they don't need to know what is happening in threads other than their own, IMO it helps with getting to know the other characters, understanding the overall story/session, and, thus, makes merging threads when the time comes a much smoother process. Also, by dividing players into multiple threads, when slumps hit, a thread with 4 or 5 players may end up with only 2 or so active posters in one thread.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 11:19 AM   #7   [permalink]
Chesta chesta chesta
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Chesta chesta chesta
Yeah I prefer the current format. Like Kayay said, when seperated into different threads you end up either not reading them or just skimming.

The Session thread might be a problem depending on how many people are in there and also on how long each session is. But i like it, keep it, you know you want to. ^_^
You're...a celestial...one of the Angels.
Chesta chesta chesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 07:33 PM   #8   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

so basically you prefer your laziness to organization... how wonderful.
heart havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 08:17 PM   #9   [permalink]
Aku Shi
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Aku Shi Send a message via Yahoo to Aku Shi
No no, she's saying that TYPICALLY people do that, they skim or don't read other threads. Besides, it doesn't mean that that person's lazy. A lot of people have very busy lives, and they can't spend all their time reading through RPG threads. So, they cut it down to just those threads that have something to do with what their character's doing. It may not be the ideal way to go about things, but it's the harsh reality, hon. *winks*
Old 06-08-2002, 09:13 PM   #10   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

exactly. and it's a hastle for those of us who don't have the time to read all of the posts to try to sift between the ones that have nothing to do with our characters when we're in a hurry and too busy to read it all. and then, once we do have the time, we have to come back to the same large huge stupid thread and sift thru it AGAIN just to find which ones we skipped. it would be much easier if it's more organised, so that we can go to our thread that has to do with our characters and their environs, and when we have the time, we can go into the other threads to view what else is going on around the world of the BeBop RPG.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:43 AM   #11   [permalink]
Chesta chesta chesta
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Chesta chesta chesta
It's all about preference, I prefer the current layout. That is what I am also mostly used to. I am not lazy, it's just my personal preference. I like it like that. I like having posts in one thread, I like being able to see what everyone else is doing aswell, if you want to be picky it's a kind of laziness as I don't want to be forever flicking through different threads.

But then again you can say that it's pure laziness that you don't want to read through other peoples posts in the same thread.

No matter what the choice is it will boil down to a certain type of 'laziness'. Have 'different threads so that you don't have to read others peoples posts because they don't concern you' or 'have one thread so that you wont have to flick through'.

Skimming happens no matter what type of thread, but more often in seperate threads as you know such and such thread doesn't concern you.

Obviously this is all up to Zepp and Pen, I was merely voicing my opinion.

Also you seem to have totally ignored the fact I said that my prefered thread could prove to be a problem if there are many people in it, as you would have to read a lot of things in a short time. I didn't say it was the best option, but my prefered option.
You're...a celestial...one of the Angels.

Last edited by Chesta chesta chesta; 12-08-2002 at 10:51 AM.
Chesta chesta chesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2002, 04:54 AM   #12   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

Quote:
Chesta
Also you seem to have totally ignored the fact I said that my prefered thread could prove to be a problem if there are many people in it, as you would have to read a lot of things in a short time. I didn't say it was the best option, but my prefered option.
some things seem as they are not.

meanwhile, you "seem to have totally ignored the fact" that i was just as equally stating my prefered option; as i've so many other things to get to, that i {as well as many others} don't have the time to read or even sift thru the posts that don't concern our characters until a weekend comes along.

another good note, i believe, would be to point out the fact that never did i attack your opinion or say you were unright in stating it. as certainly, the question was clearly asked because it was seeking the opinions of others.
heart havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2002, 01:36 PM   #13   [permalink]
Brink

Send a message via AIM to Brink
I like paste. Sometimes i just glob it all on to a slice of bread. It taste yummy. And then my mouth gets stuck together an I can't talk. Sometimes that's good, because when my mouth is stuck together, all I want to say are bad things anyway.

Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 03:05 AM   #14   [permalink]
black_angel
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to black_angel Send a message via Yahoo to black_angel
im not accepted either but the thread-for each area dose work.......thats the way it worked on this FF RPG i was with a long while ago yep! yep
Old 13-09-2002, 11:57 AM   #15   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
Since this RPG is supposed to be broken down into sessions, a new thread when the next sesson starts sounds good enough to me, and breaks the RPG up like actual episodes, so people who join then don't have to wade through pages of old stuff. (I'm assuming you had this planned anyway) Besides, each session shouldn't take longer than a few months, right? RIGHT??? So one thread per session should suffice.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote