Old 01-01-2003, 12:15 AM   #1   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Quick Question: Witch Hunter Robin

First, comment about the show, why does it start to rock so late in the series. The beginning was very mediocre.

Anyways...what's the song name for the second ending? It plays on ep 15.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:51 AM   #2   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MDWigs Send a message via Yahoo to MDWigs
The show has serious pacing problems in my opinion. The first 12 or so "monster of the week" episodes just became too repetitive for my liking.

Also IIRC episode 15 has a guitar instrumental version of Shell (the opening theme) as its ending theme.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Last edited by MDWigs; 01-01-2003 at 04:53 PM.
MDWigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #3   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Better to rock late than not at all.

Though I didn't think it was mediocre during the stand alone eps, heck the episode I said that had no redeeming feature in it was the episode which set up the whole Robin/Staff of power thing with that old witch in ep 13.

For me it just went from good/promising to great around ep 14 though their were some really good episodes in the first ten eps as well as some dull ones but this is the directors directoral debut. I wouldn't expect a Miyazaki/Tomino/Kawamori/Anno calibre directing first up from anyone...

Anyway you can have consistant action throughout a whole series you do have to have build up and get to know the characters however subtle it may appear and you never know how the first episodes may relate to events that occur later on in the series/ending.

Animes are meant to be seen as a whole and it must have did something right if you kept on watching.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:17 PM   #4   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Anno's directorial debut was Gunbuster. Though whether it is the directo'fs first attempt or not really shouldn't sway your opinion of the anime itself. I try to go into a series with little or no preconceptions of what it is going to be like. That stops my expectations from ruining the show if it doesn't live up to them.

WHR was an average anime in my opinion for the first half of the series. I still watched it because average anime is worth watching, however I don't think it was great and the pacing issues have forever damaged my opinion of this show.

Episodes 23 and 24 are out now. It will be interested to see how the series is concluded.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."

Last edited by MDWigs; 02-01-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #5   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Gunbuster had some directional flaws, the shift from homage to drama was too forced in my opinion but it did nothing to damper my enjoyment of Gunbuster which is still to this day my favourite Gainax production over Eva and FLCL.

As for WHR I'll probably end up watching eps 21-26 in one sitting, tell us if 23-24 start to resolve the anime after your seen them Wigs.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #6   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

I'm not suggesting Gunbuster was perfect. I don't believe any anime, or any director is perfect. It was just a case in point to show that a director can produce a seminal work on his (or her) debut.

Whether it is a director's first, second, or thirtieth production doesn't change the fact that they can still produce really good (or really bad) anime. Or they can just produce average anime. Which is what I think WHR it. It's a good first attempt, but I don't think the anime is any better just because it was a first attempt.

As for episodes 23 and 24, I've got them both now, so I will watch them after work and let you know what I think. If they don't start to resolve the anime then I will be quite worried about how the last two unfold.

Last edited by MDWigs; 02-01-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:52 AM   #7   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Well those were two really great episodes. A whole lot of stuff revealed, though few were surprises. I'm really looking forward to episode 25 - Redemption Day.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:19 AM   #8   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to DistMan
I saw Ep 25 yeaterday. A good ep and the snowball is rolling now
Old 03-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #9   [permalink]
BakaMaster

damn i need 25 now, this is one of the best series i have seen in a while

"Immelmann turn" -Dio
BakaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote