Old 15-11-2001, 08:52 AM   #1   [permalink]
KamuiX
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to KamuiX Send a message via AIM to KamuiX
Metal Gear Solid 2 discussion thread - *game spoilers marked*

Official Discussion

This thread is for discussing (and asking questions about) MGS2 and its story.
Please note any spoilers

To start, I'd like to discuss some of my favorite moments ...

*spoilers galore - only look if you've beaten MGS2*

_____________________spoilers start_______________________

Coolest moment?: Majorly tough choice ...My favorite is probably when Ocelot throws his jacket and then shoots through it as cover, then turns and kills every guard around him. Very John Woo esque ...(Though I love when Ninja nearly takes his arm for a second time.)

Most awe inspiring moment?: Metal Gear Ray on top of a torn-apart oil tanker looking down at Snake with its menacing blue eyes. That part was so breathtaking I wanted to put it on repeat ...

Funniest Moment?: A toss up between Snake pointing to his bandana and saying "infinite ammo" and the cute asian girl coming up on the radar when the GW virus occured. (I was sleepy when this happened - 4 in the morning - thought I was seeing things.) Of course, seeing business people out and about and Raiden standing there in his skull-suit with nobody noticing was pretty funny too. (Not to mention that Liberty Hall had a gigantic Metal Gear crashed into the side of it.)

As amazing as the game is, and for all its incredible moments, there are a few things that I was a little peeved about.

I love the fact that there was more than one playable character in the game, I really do - Raiden is very badass - but, it shouldn't of ended with him. There needed to be a lot more Solid Snake, but Metal Gear Solid turned out be Metal Gear Raiden instead. Sure, I know Snake did play a large role in the overall story, but it's not the same unless you're in control of him.

The next thing, which might've been self-explanatory, is the fact that there was no sign of Meryl. If she died in MGS at least let us know - she played a large part and I want to know what happened to her. (If she did die, it's a pretty grim future for most starring women that appear in MG - Meryl, Olga and Fortune all die.)

Similar to the above problem, the tie-ins to the previous MGS had a lot of issues. For one, there's very little explained about Solidus. He's "the perfect balance between Solid and Liquid" but we have no idea why? Was he actually a Les enfante Terrible, or another clone from a different time? And what makes him so special, other than the nifty speed and Dr. Octopus arms?

In addition, what about the real Colonel? (Especially if Meryl did die.) After some of these events he'd at least play some parts in Sons of Liberty.

And last thing ...How the hell does Liquid's arm get put on Ocelot? (And why would that give him control over Ocelot's body?)

Of course, since we know there's going to be a part 3 (or at least a continuation of some kind) a lot of this could be explained later ...but I wanna know now, dammit.

_____________________spoilers end_________________________

AniHina.com | http://www.anihina.com
Myu! Myu!! (It's all about Love Hina!)
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2001, 02:13 AM   #2   [permalink]
Ra amiel
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Ra amiel
Man i don't really like Raiden very much......he is ok, but Snake is still my fav. and always will be!
Ra amiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2001, 03:07 AM   #3   [permalink]
Commander Fuyutsuki
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Fuyutsuki Send a message via AIM to Commander Fuyutsuki
Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 discussion thread - *game spoilers marked*

My post contains spoilers so don't read it if you haven't beaten it

Most Touching Moment:Definitly EE's death and the FMV with Otacon and EE's bird after words. "Hal... I miss you, Hal... I miss you. I had the welling up in my eyes.As amazing as the game is, and for all its incredible moments, there are a few things that I was a little peeved about.

Codec Moment: I'd like to appologise for this lame pun first of all. My Codec moment was when you shoot to many birds with the sniper rifle and Colonel and Rose call you via Codec and ----- you out.

Most ammusing momnet: When your running around arsenal naked looking for Snake and your equipment. Snakes opening line when he finds you made me crack up. that and your running around Arsenal naked covering yourself with your hands.

Quote:
Posted KamuiX
I love the fact that there was more than one playable character in the game, I really do - Raiden is very badass - but, it shouldn't of ended with him. There needed to be a lot more Solid Snake, but Metal Gear Solid turned out be Metal Gear Raiden instead. Sure, I know Snake did play a large role in the overall story, but it's not the same unless you're in control of him.

The next thing, which might've been self-explanatory, is the fact that there was no sign of Meryl. If she died in MGS at least let us know - she played a large part and I want to know what happened to her. (If she did die, it's a pretty grim future for most starring women that appear in MG - Meryl, Olga and Fortune all die.)

Similar to the above problem, the tie-ins to the previous MGS had a lot of issues. For one, there's very little explained about Solidus. He's "the perfect balance between Solid and Liquid" but we have no idea why? Was he actually a Les enfante Terrible, or another clone from a different time? And what makes him so special, other than the nifty speed and Dr. Octopus arms?

In addition, what about the real Colonel? (Especially if Meryl did die.) After some of these events he'd at least play some parts in Sons of Liberty.

And last thing ...How the hell does Liquid's arm get put on Ocelot? (And why would that give him control over Ocelot's body?)

Of course, since we know there's going to be a part 3 (or at least a continuation of some kind) a lot of this could be explained later ...but I wanna know now, dammit.
1) I have to agree. Raiden was a good character but playing as Snake is what makes Metal Gear, Metal Gear.

2) I was bitching about that through the whole game. If they bring Otacon back the least they could do is put some closure about Meryll to us players who saved her. Notice how they seem to be doing the same thing with Vamp. I bet he doesn't come back, but we never saw his die. We killed him about 3 times and he can back everytime.

3) Solidus is also a clone of Big Boss

4) The way the way the Colonel was spouting lines from teh previous 3 Metal Gear games in Arsenal makes me wonder if the Colonel even exists. But if you played the first 2 you know he's real. I also wonder whts the deal with him.

5) I'm sure the answer is going to be in MGS:5 (my count is 1 and 2 on NES, 3 for PSX, 4 on PS2)

6) There is definiley going to be a sequel and I can't wait. The wisemen and the Patriots is killing me. The wisemen have been dead for 100 years. What a thing to say right before going black. ARRRRGH!!!!!

Keep your roasries off my ovaries!

This quote of the week brough to you by Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Commander Fuyutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2001, 09:55 AM   #4   [permalink]
KamuiX
Forum Addicted

Re: Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 discussion thread - *game spoilers marked*

*yet more spoilers - only look if you've beaten MGS2*

_____________________spoilers start_______________________

Quote:
Posted by Fuy ...

Most Touching Moment: Definitly EE's death and the FMV with Otacon and EE's bird after words. "Hal... I miss you, Hal... I miss you. I had the welling up in my eyes.

-- At first I thought I was the one who killed her. I took a shot that was very close to her and I saw the blood. Of course it was actually Vamp, but at first I freaked. This part will now live on along side Aerith's death in FF. It was so sad ...and what a twisted history with Otacon.

Codec Moment: I'd like to appologise for this lame pun first of all. My Codec moment was when you shoot to many birds with the sniper rifle and Colonel and Rose call you via Codec and ----- you out.

-- I didn't try this, I'll have to do that this time through ..hahaha I guess my Codec moment is when the Colonel tells you to turn the console off. I was like, "what b1tch? I've bene playing for 9 hours, try and make me turn this off ..." hahaha

Most ammusing moment: When your running around arsenal naked looking for Snake and your equipment. Snakes opening line when he finds you made me crack up. that and your running around Arsenal naked covering yourself with your hands.

-- Yeah this was great. And if you got into a fight Raiden only punched with 1 hand.

1) I have to agree. Raiden was a good character but playing as Snake is what makes Metal Gear, Metal Gear.

-- *sigh* Well, I just hope that Raiden makes a guest appearance in the next MGS, and Solid Snake plays the leading role. MGS2 seems to almost entirely made to build up for the next one. I guess we'll see ..(but if it ends up that Snake is hardly playable in part 3 I will be seriously pissed ...)

2) I was bitching about that through the whole game. If they bring Otacon back the least they could do is put some closure about Meryll to us players who saved her. Notice how they seem to be doing the same thing with Vamp. I bet he doesn't come back, but we never saw him die. We killed him about 3 times and he can back everytime.

-- And to add, Otacon has flashbacks about Sniper Wolf and Liquid Snake gets to reprise his role, though only slightly. Hell, there's even a toy for Vulcan Raven. It just seems so strange there's no mention of her, like Kojima's waiting for the right moment. (And I thought it was especially odd that the GW Colonel mentioned her, as if hinting at something.) Argh! I want to know ...

3) Solidus is also a clone of Big Boss

-- Was he created via the super-baby method? So were the twins actually triplets? Or was he created like the Genome soldiers, who Liquid also acknowledged as family ...? I'm going to have to play this game through about 50 more times before I catch everything. Oi. . .

4) The way the Colonel was spouting lines from the previous 3 Metal Gear games in Arsenal makes me wonder if the Colonel even exists. But if you played the first 2 you know he's real. I also wonder whats the deal with him.

-- Yeah, he'd have to exist since he briefed Snake on the Discovery before he left for Shadow Moses. However, after the briefing much of that could've been handled by GW. Who knows? (Other than Kojima ...) I just want the whole story ....

5) I'm sure the answer is going to be in MGS:5 (my count is 1 and 2 on NES, 3 for PSX, 4 on PS2)

-- I hope so, though honestly I expected a lot more to answered by this one. I hate suspense ...not when I have to wait for years to know the rest of the story! argh ...

6) There is definiley going to be a sequel and I can't wait. The wisemen and the Patriots is killing me. The wisemen have been dead for 100 years. What a thing to say right before going black. ARRRRGH!!!!!

-- The wisemen totally remind me of X-Files. Basically the absolute controllers of everything ...but they had to know they wouldn't live forever, so maybe they've become something like SELEE in NGE? Man, again, who knows ...dammit Kojima, this isn't something we get to find more about every Sunday. We'll have to wait at least 2 more years for more info.

_____________________spoilers end_________________________

Old 16-11-2001, 02:52 PM   #5   [permalink]
Ra amiel
Forum Addicted

Snake is my favorite action hero!!!!!! LONG LIVE SOLID SNAKE!!!!!!

SPOILER Question!!!!!!!!!!

One thing tho, After I killed Fatman at Big Shell, i was wondering if i was close to being Snake again? I don't really like Raiden too much, just because im not fond of him, but i guess i will like him later on. I know Snake is not dead cause he is disguised as Plisken. Did u know that Plisken is from Escape from New York? Snake Plisken and Solid Snake, how weird........

Last edited by Ra amiel; 16-11-2001 at 03:09 PM.
Old 16-11-2001, 07:37 PM   #6   [permalink]
KamuiX
Forum Addicted

Ra amiel, I meant to mention that earlier cause I thought that was hillarious. (And it was obviously intentional, since the setting is in New York.) Also, the name of the sub in Part 1 was called the Discovery, so is the ship in the beginning.

I don't want to give anything away but since you specifically asked (don't read below unless you're POSITIVE you want to know):

..*spoilers below*

-- After the incident on the ship you no longer play as Solid Snake. That was the only part of the game that you do

Old 17-11-2001, 03:11 AM   #7   [permalink]
Ra amiel
Forum Addicted

possible spoiler

WTF?!?! I CAN'T BE SNAKE AFTER THE TANKER LVL?!?! oh well, at least he is in it tho.......
Old 18-11-2001, 02:09 AM   #8   [permalink]
Oogami Ichirou
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Oogami Ichirou Send a message via MSN to Oogami Ichirou
This game was amazing.. The story-line and cinematics really drew me in, and this game has the best story-line out of any game or movie I ever saw, period... So many cool scenes and things happening. I got a little confused at times, but thats because I didnt pay too much attention to the mgs storyline, which I now regret!

*spoilers*
V
V
V
After beating the game I was hoping I was gonna get fortune's bad-ass prototype electricity weapon, that thing was cooler than the weapon in the movie Eraser! Oh well all you get is a camera. I have to admit I got kinda emotional when E.E. died, she was a cutie, heh, oh well.. looks like she came back as that parrot? All the villians in this game/movie were great and I always wanted to see what would happen next with them. It was hard to keep track of all of the events that were occuring on the big shell... I also liked the metal gear RAYS a lot too, cooler looking than the metal gear REX. I wish that some of the weapons had more involvement, ones like the grenade launcher, nikita, and psg1t never had to be used that much, but they were still fun to use. I'd die happy if you could start a new game with all the weapons you equired when you beat the game.. too many of the weapons came during the last parts of the game! (imagine using the katana through it) Mostly of all though I was really pleased with everything about this game. Could have been a little better gameplay wise, but the story and scenes is worth it alone. I also wished I could have been Solid Snake more, but Raiden.. I got used to him after a while.

You know what was really funny? When I got to the part where you see the j-girl on the radar and where the colonel goes nuts by saying weird crap, I literally thought I was hallucinating! I paused it for a few minutes and slapped myself... lol it was weird.

Anyways,, whats that code you get at the end of the game? I wrote it down and it said to go somewhere but i forgot which site? Weird...
Old 18-11-2001, 05:52 AM   #9   [permalink]
DarkCode
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to DarkCode
I have a theory if you beat a certain way you will get certain Items when I beat it on Very easy (yes im a pussy) I got a Digital Camera im guessing if you beat in certain modes you get different stuff or maybe you get to play as Snake or this could be a Idealistic Rambling.
Old 18-11-2001, 01:57 PM   #10   [permalink]
Oogami Ichirou
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Oogami Ichirou Send a message via MSN to Oogami Ichirou
well I beat it on normal and got just the camera too so... I dont think there is more stuff
Old 18-11-2001, 08:13 PM   #11   [permalink]
The Bizzar One

Send a message via AIM to The Bizzar One
Wouldn't it be nice...

*spoilers below*

How about instead of getting Fortune's weapon as a bonus, what about the device she has to dodge bullets? That would be fun.
The Bizzar One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2001, 10:27 PM   #12   [permalink]
Oogami Ichirou
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

i thought it was the bullets that dodged her? I can't remember but i thought they said the ammo was made to dodge her, i cant remember... but i would want her weapon more anyways
Old 18-11-2001, 10:43 PM   #13   [permalink]
The Bizzar One

Send a message via AIM to The Bizzar One
nah, at the end of the game... *spoiler ahead*

Ocelot talked alittle about the device as the latest in electromagnetic technology, literally deflecting the bullets off like a shield. He then wore the device himself, the bullets fired by everybody else bouncing off him.

Last edited by The Bizzar One; 18-11-2001 at 10:45 PM.
The Bizzar One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2001, 07:10 AM   #14   [permalink]
eva_02's soul
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to eva_02's soul Send a message via AIM to eva_02's soul
Does Otacon play a large part? and does christopher Fritz come back to be his voice actor? i love Otacons old voice

-Alucard,the coolest vampire i've seen.
eva_02's soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2001, 09:22 AM   #15   [permalink]
KamuiX
Forum Addicted

Well I just beat MGS2 for my second time - on normal with no radar. Still got the camera

I'm going to pick up the official guidebook later on today. I bought the original MGS guidebook after I had beat it a few times and couldn't believe all the stuff I missed, hopefully it'll be the same with MGS2. I'll post any of the extra goodies you can get here

eva_02's soul, all of the original characters that have a return appearance are again voiced by the same actors, including Otacon. (He does a very good job too, along with David Hayter.) And yeah he does play pretty large part.

*major plot spoilers*

Oogami, E.E didn't turn into the parrot after she died - the parrot was repeating things that E.E said to it a lot. ( Which made Otacon realize how much she really did care for him, and of course making her death even more sad. ) If Vamp is somehow still alive in MGS3 he is soooo going down ....Even if I have to find a way to get a MG Ray and park it on him. (Think Gray Fox from MGS...)

About Fortune's railgun, as cool as it would be to use it Kojima already stated that it would make the game too easy so it wasn't added as a usable weapon. I'd be happy with just the katana (deflect bullets, close range attacks) and the PSG-1. Nearly undefeatable combo ...hmmmm I wonder if you can run around in the ninja outfit?

*end spoilers*

Last edited by KamuiX; 19-11-2001 at 09:24 AM.