Old 24-04-2002, 02:30 PM   #1   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Maguamaru Send a message via Yahoo to Maguamaru
Exclamation Metal Gear RPG? Anyone interested?

NOTICE: If you are new to the idea of Metal Gear, skip to the bullet points before you read the text betweent this and them.

Well, here's an idea that's still playing around in my head... it's far from complete, but I have the basic details down. Basically, I'm thinking on an RPG running on the Metal Gear continuity, but taking place in between the Zanzibar Riot Incident and the Shadow Moses Incident, when Fox-Hound were still an in-favour government organization.
Of course, a decent knowledge of the Metal Gear Solid backstory (read: Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Riot incidents, AKA Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake) would be required, as would a 'feel' for the series. However, anyone applying wouldn't have to be a fanatic - while the RPG would run along the main continuity, I'm aiming to make this as newbie-friendly as possible. This means that I'll provide references to the backstory if need be.

Miscellaneous Details:
  • For anyone who doesn't know, Metal Gear is a series of videogames revolving around using stealth to infiltrate certain facilities. The games were always, story driven and by their later incarnations, VERY HEAVILY so. The stories are, in many people's opinions, some of the greatest ever fabricated for the videogame market. Same with the characters - lots of human drama, humour too, but in far less measure. In short, it's a continuity that can be fairly easily adapted to the RPG world, especially as most combat was unique in style. (For example, a battle with an invisible psychokinesis expert who attacked you with flying chairs, a fisticuffs battle between two identical twins on a small platform 50ft in the air, a battle with a vampire who could dodge bullets by observing muscle movements, etc.)
  • Although elements of the actual Metal Gear continuity are involved, NO EXISTING CHARACTERS WILL BE USED. Yes, this means no Psycho Mantis, everyone. For anyone who played Metal Gear Solid, the members of Fox-Hound who were depicted there, as it said, were only a small percentage of elite soldiers who rebelled - thus, it is entirely feasable that more F-H operatives existed who were not featured in the games. These are who we will play.
  • The only elements of the original story that will be referred to THAT often are Big Boss and the basic outcomes and events of Zanzibar and Outer Heaven. This means NO Les Enfants Terribles, NO Patriots, and certainly **NO S3 PLAN**. Yes, I do like these plot elements, but none of them were known before MGS and MGS2.
  • For those of you who don't know, Fox-Hound codenames follow a specific formula. So, your character would have a codename generated using that system... basically, the first part of the codename is usually a speciality of the character, but it can also be a quality of them... and the second part is an animal that they seem to resemble in some way or have an affinity with. For example, the codenames in MGS were Liquid Snake, Revolver Ocelot, Psycho Mantis, Vulcan Raven, Sniper Wolf and Decoy Octopus.
  • The focus of the RPG would be on character interaction and story, and combat IN AN INVENTIVE MANNER. This means NO unfair balances of power, NO hack-and-slashings, and certainly no frequent scuffles. No complex point systems, either, just fair play and originality.
  • Unlike the games, the infiltration in the RPG will not be a solo effort. Instead, the players are dispatched in groups and work together.
  • Yes, there will be spoilers and plot twists. Probably an awful lot of them.

Theeeere we go. That's the very basic info down... this is by no means an application thread, after all. Anyone who's read this far should have a good idea of what the RPG would be like, so now the big question:

Are you interested?

If you are, even a little bit, post here and say so... if there's enough interest, I'll start it. And it'll be good.
Old 24-04-2002, 11:20 PM   #2   [permalink]
Forever Z.E.R.O.
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Forever Z.E.R.O.
I'm very interested. Ii didnt play the earlier Metal Gear games. I have played MGS and MGS2: Sons of Liberty, and I loved those 2 games. Now, I have a couple questions and one suggestion:
1. How will all this work? Most of the games around here work on a very grand scale. Lots of players are usually pretty active. Moving in large groups I think would compromise stealth. Not that I'm saying we should keep the game small. I just want to know how you'd handle this
2. A suggestion I have is to keep a close eye on all player movement and use GM power very closely. The game, as said, is all about stealth. Leaving most activity in the player's hand may make things too easy or may take things in a bad direction. Again, how I see you handling this is up to you.
3. How will you handle group combat? When the $#!+ hits the fan, lots of guns blazing will draw a lot of attention, and considering the usual environments and stuff, a war in such a closed space could become dangerous.
4. Whats the storyline? A good storyline would hook players more than anything else.

For one moment, I could see clearly, the weight of the World doesnt seem so bad

Life is like throwing feathers at the wind, they come right back to you again, so why not give it one more try?
Forever Z.E.R.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2002, 01:40 PM   #3   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Forever Z.E.R.O.

1. How will all this work? Most of the games around here work on a very grand scale. Lots of players are usually pretty active. Moving in large groups I think would compromise stealth. Not that I'm saying we should keep the game small. I just want to know how you'd handle this
This is something that I've almost sorted out, but am still tweaking with. It's true that having large groups together would make stealthy movement hard, but basically, I was planning on using the codec. Most of the time, players would work in pairs or possibly threes, but the characters would meet up at regular intervals and much switching of partners would take place in order to keep things fresh.

Quote:

2. A suggestion I have is to keep a close eye on all player movement and use GM power very closely. The game, as said, is all about stealth. Leaving most activity in the player's hand may make things too easy or may take things in a bad direction. Again, how I see you handling this is up to you.
Well, player involvement is up to the players; I like giving players quite a lot of freedom. However, I'll be producing maps for the areas and playing out all significant guard activity - how they handle the situation will be left up to them, but if they do anything totally unreasonable, I'll step in.

Quote:

3. How will you handle group combat? When the $#!+ hits the fan, lots of guns blazing will draw a lot of attention, and considering the usual environments and stuff, a war in such a closed space could become dangerous.
Well, most of the time, combat will just be in the style of the boss battles, 'discovered' encounters and 'large combat sections' (e.g. the control tower rush in MGS, or the Arsenal Gear Illeum in MGS2). So, if there's a boss battle, it'll be on a large scale, but in relatively managable locations. If the players screw up and get rumbled, they'll have to scatter and hide. And if they have to take on a small army at once, then so be it, but I'll try to keep the locations interesting and well-mapped enough for there to be a lot of strategy involved. That's the key for combat here, strategy.

Quote:

4. Whats the storyline? A good storyline would hook players more than anything else.
The story is still being worked on; I want to plan it down to a T in order to get as close to the level of complexity and unpredictability in a real Metal Gear game as possible. I can't really reveal any of the existing spoilers as ruining the surprise has never been my bag, but the basic situation at the start involves members of Fox-Hound infiltrating a top-secret military R&D centre in east Europe, which is under the control of a group formed by survivors of the Zanzibar Riot incident. However, one thing is unusual about the situation - no terrorist demands have been given. There is no readily available motive for the enemy's hostile takeover of the facility, and they have made no effort to communicate with any groups outside of the area.
The players don't have a clue as to why they're sent in, or what they've actually been sent to do - their only orders are to infiltrate the facility and re-group at a certain point inside. (Naturally. If the players were actually told anything, there'd be no opportunity for them to accuse their colonels of being cheating scumbags later on in the game. )
So yeah, in short, the actual uncovering of the story is up to the players alone. One thing I noticed in the Metal Gear saga is that the characters only find out anything if they really dig around of their own accord and deviate from the mission somewhat; thus, the details and justifications of the story will rarely be spoon-fed to the players. It's largely up to them to uncover everything for themselves, and on a GM/player level, It'll be actively encouraged to develop their own hidden agendas in order to find out the truth.

Any more? ^^
Old 25-04-2002, 02:02 PM   #4   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Can I have hot dirty gay man-sex with you Mag?

Heh, I'm not a fan of MG really....I think those games get far more credit than they deserve. BUT! I think this sounds like a cool RPG seeing as it is quite a departure from the standard fare.

AKA: I am so in this.
Old 25-04-2002, 03:15 PM   #5   [permalink]
KtHM
Banned

All right, Mag, you have actually managed to impress me. There's a couple details I'd like to work out with you over AIM at some point, as I've never played the Metal Gear games. However, I did go watch some movies from it so that I could get a feel of what the hell you were talking about. And it looks like the RPG will be good. IM me sometime so that I can blather ideas for characters at you and try to pry a little bit of the plot from you so that I can fit a character in more easily. *brain overloads from too many RPGs* Mmmm... burning...
KtHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2002, 10:54 PM   #6   [permalink]
Forever Z.E.R.O.
Executive Member

One more thing. Will our codenames really need to follow that format? In MGS2:SoL, lots of the characters didnt follow the formula. There was Fatman, Vamp, Fortune, etc. I'm only asking this cuz I'm having a hard time coming up with something.

Life is like throwing feathers at the wind, they come right back to you again, so why not give it one more try?
Old 26-04-2002, 09:25 AM   #7   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Ok! Good to see some more interest here. *grin*

As for codenames... Fatman, Vamp etc. weren't Fox-Hound members, but Dead Cell ones. Since the players will be working for Fox-Hound, we really have to follow that format or something very similar.

And Kiva, since you've never played the games I'll upload the 'previous plot summary' section from MGS. That'll explain any of the scene-setting and backstory that we'll need.

I'll most likely be on AIM tonight and over the weekend, so catch me then. ^^
Old 26-04-2002, 01:09 PM   #8   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Would Metal Raptor be an acceptable name for a character? (thinking ahead ^_~)
Old 26-04-2002, 07:28 PM   #9   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Hah, as I said on AIM, that works fine though you might want to stay away from 'Metal'... just the Metal Gear units and all, makes it all kinda refreshing.
Old 27-04-2002, 05:22 PM   #10   [permalink]
Forever Z.E.R.O.
Executive Member

Okay, my character will be named Ballistic Lynx.

Old 27-04-2002, 05:46 PM   #11   [permalink]
Chesta chesta chesta
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Chesta chesta chesta
If you are looking for MGS names then you should check out the name generator, though it tends to come up with rather dodgy names like for instance Sarah Bladh is Catapult Orangutang. However if you come up with a good name it will actually come up with a rather good code name for you, but like I said could end up being very very corny.

Name Generator

However I like the concept of this RPG, I'll check up on it laters Mag, being rather tempted.

Mmmmmmmmm mullet.
You're...a celestial...one of the Angels.
Chesta chesta chesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2002, 05:52 PM   #12   [permalink]
KtHM
Banned

*dies*

Kiva Pearson pulled up "Lovable Cockroach"

Kiva Smith pulled up "Infrared Baboon"

And Kiva Smith-Pearson was "Land-Mine Chameleon"

That's magic.

Screw that, I'm still using China Cat.
KtHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2002, 06:07 PM   #13   [permalink]
Forever Z.E.R.O.
Executive Member

lol. I got Chocolate Puffin

Old 28-04-2002, 08:16 AM   #14   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

*laughs* I love that name generator... ^^ I had some fun with that one a while ago, it's still just as great... but viable results aren't too common from it.
And Chesta... *cling cling* Joooin!
Old 28-04-2002, 09:19 AM   #15   [permalink]
Chesta chesta chesta
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Chesta chesta chesta
Mags you know I can't refuse one of my fave Southerners

As this takes place before Shadow Moses does that mean that my fave cyber ninja wont be apperaing nor will he be talked about *shock horror* what is MG without a cyber ninja?! And unlike SoL we wont know too much about Snake since he got labelled 'hero' after Shadow Moses, right?

This is Catapult Orangutang, over and out.

Nooooo I am not using that name but we have spent the whole weekend talking like this, should stay away from wine really. You hear me kiddies wine is evil!
You're...a celestial...one of the Angels.
Chesta chesta chesta is offline   Reply With Quote