Old 24-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #16   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
right nowi have 2 256mb in 2 slots. there is 4 (2 of each color so there are two sets of 2 slots.) , so im thinking of getting like 2gigs or memory, do i have to equal the slots out? like put 1 gig in one slot then a 256 in one color set, and 1 gig in and 1 256 in the other color set, so all 4 slots will be used evenly? or just throwing it in is fine?
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #17   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

You can put whatever you want wherever, if they're DDR slots. I think the color pertains to dual channeling. Ie. you have to put two IDENTICAL (size, speed, architecture) memory modules into a color group to run them in dual channel mode. Many people go as far as to say you should buy the exact same memory modules from the same manufacturer to make sure they're compatible with each other in dual channel mode. Dual channel doubles the bandwidth of the bus from memory to processor (ie. access twice as much memory at any given time compared to regular memory access).
Old 25-03-2006, 04:40 AM   #18   [permalink]
umoa

Send a message via AIM to umoa
so you mean, for it to be optimally fast, (thereotically, i should fit all 4 slots with the identical memory, for best trouble free performance?)
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #19   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Not necessarily all four, but each pair you choose to install would have to be identical memory modules for the best likelihood for the dual-channeling to work the best. Ie. if you have just two memory modules that are the same, install them both in the same color of memory slot. I don't think it matters if you put the pair in the first or second group of memory slots, but I can't answer that definitively. If you have the motherboard manual for your computer it should say, otherwise go to the manufacturer website for that kind of information.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #20   [permalink]
Tinker Magoo

huh
Tinker Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #21   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Originally Posted by umoa
so you mean, for it to be optimally fast, (thereotically, i should fit all 4 slots with the identical memory, for best trouble free performance?)
In response to this, if you have a 939 based motherboard filling all 4 RAM slots is not a good idea. There is some problem with this, though I can't remember what. Either it will not operate in dual channel mode or you have to run it at 2T command rate. Either way it will result in slightly worse performance than having only two slots taken up by sticks of twice the size.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #22   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Maybe it's an electrical limitation, I have no idea why it would work like that other than it's too much for the motherboard to physically handle.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #23   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

I'm fairly certain it has something to do with the way the data pipelines are laid out. Most 939 boards are incredibly overclockable and resilient to large changes in voltage.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #24   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

I'm making sure my next mobo is a socket 939! Oh, when I have more money, I will make the best damned modest-cost PC you ever saw!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #25   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

They are pretty damn awesome.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #26   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

I'm not big on the idea of overclocking, but I might be willing to tweak it up just a *little* bit if I can keep the processor heat reasonable. What's the best way to monitor the CPU temp? Just make sure the motherboard has such a feature, or can CPUs have that ability?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:53 AM   #27   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

I'm honestly not sure how reliable on-board temp monitors are these days. I use them, simply because my mobo came with a program to monitor temps and fan speeds.
Old 13-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #28   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Well from what I gather from Toms Hardware and Anandtech ... the general
consensus is that the heat sensors are generally accurate for basic readings, but were somewhat problematic with older AMD chips due to their less than forgiving nature concerning cooler failures (no heat spreaders)

... with the advent of built in heat spreaders for amd chips and more efficient designs (as compared to the older "ceramic ovens") ... the use and reliance of onboard sensors is almost a given.

Sam