Old 18-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #31   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by GuGuEaTeR
There's a thing called thin-wire-mesh of sort, commonly known as filter. It's very useful.

That reminds me, I have to clean my filter on my case.
Yes, filters provide a degree of dust protection ... but thats if you are aware of them or motivated enough actually clean them ... I lost count of how many machines I inspected for friends and family because they were having problems ... only to find clogged filters which lead to poor airflow and thus overheating ... I would rather have less restricted airflow and possible internal dust build up ... this usually takes quite a bit longer to happen than clogged filters and its no more difficult to clean ... canned air or a compressor does quite nicely ... I suppose it also depends on the amount of dust present ... I vacuum regularly and use one of those xenion effect air cleaners ... which seems to be keeping dust levels to a minimum ...

I have a machine running that have gone of 2 or 3 years without a need for internal dust removal ...

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 06:30 PM   #32   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
Well, some cases these days with filters are so horridly designed and inside completely dearranged that the dust gathers in places you can't exactly reach that easily, such as inside the PSU (void warranty?). I don't think anyone will be willing to take it open and such just to get rid of dust.

As for ambient dust level in the room, well, not many people exactly vacuum everyday nor do they have automatic air cleaners. Most people probably put their computers on a carpetted floor, and when vacuuming they just vacuum around it... No wonder dust gathers for them.
Old 20-12-2004, 06:30 AM   #33   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

haha, nice one sam, i've done the open case + room fan thing a few times recently. it does work : )

how would you recommend getting dust out of the cpu heatsink etc??
fasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #34   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
As SamIam mentioned, a can of compressed air or CO2 works the best. Fastest, most reliable, doesn't damage any components, and etc. If you don't have such equipment (like me) then use a soft paintbrush or just blow it yourself. Careful not to get dust in your eyes; it hurts.

Last edited by GuGuEaTeR; 20-12-2004 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Spelling.
GuGuEaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #35   [permalink]
GouryG

Send a message via AIM to GouryG Send a message via MSN to GouryG Send a message via Yahoo to GouryG
One thing that has not been mentioned as a possible problem. How good is your power supply? If it is underpowered it could damage the Ram due to undervoltage conditions. It also could have a voltage regulator problem. It may be sending spikes that may be damaging the ram.
Old 28-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #36   [permalink]
fasad
Forum Addicted

the power supply is mentioned in the first post, and the problem has been resolved. It was the mobo. the end : )
fasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #37   [permalink]
GouryG

Send a message via AIM to GouryG Send a message via MSN to GouryG Send a message via Yahoo to GouryG
Originally Posted by fasad
the power supply is mentioned in the first post, and the problem has been resolved. It was the mobo. the end : )
Ok I forgot about that you mentioned the PS.