Old 07-02-2002, 11:49 PM   #1   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Arrow Even Bill Gates thinks OZ broadband is expensive!

AustralianIT article

Quote:
At meetings with Mr Alston's advisers, Microsoft managing director Paul Houghton urged them to take firm measures to reduce broadband prices through tougher regulation of Telstra.

Microsoft wants full implementation of a Productivity Commission report that recommends increasing competition on the Telstra-controlled copper grid, which brings phone services to people's homes, by opening it to other carriers.

"We thought that with the election out of the way, this would be a good time to refresh some of these issues," Mr Houghton said.

But Mr Alston's spokesman said the onus was on industry to develop new ways of bringing broadband services to homes, such as the use of satellites.

Microsoft's drive to lower the price of broadband access aims to encourage the use of more sophisticated internet services such as online video and other products produced by Microsoft.

"High-speed internet access for computer users is too expensive and threatens to limit the adoption of some powerful new services that would be available in the next few years," Microsoft boss Bill Gates says in the Blueprint.

It describes the performance of the Australian telecommunications regulatory regime as "disappointing".

"Telstra's 50 per cent Government shareholding does not make it any easier for Government to act decisively on such matters," the report says.
i'll be cancelling my Telstra BPA Cable services next week and moving to Netspace.net.au ADSL since telstra's price hikes are capping restrictions will severely cramp my net access

Last edited by eva2000; 08-02-2002 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:10 AM   #2   [permalink]
Marius
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Marius Send a message via AIM to Marius Send a message via Yahoo to Marius
Does this mean Bill Gates will subsidise broadband access for us?

-PjC
Old 08-02-2002, 12:16 AM   #3   [permalink]
Coign
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to Coign
Damn my 18 month contract!
Old 08-02-2002, 12:58 AM   #4   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

Coign, they should be letting you "get out of jail free" due to the contract changes...
Old 08-02-2002, 01:01 AM   #5   [permalink]
Coign
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to Coign
I don't remember that being stated in the letter I got describing service changing...