Old 09-01-2004, 02:01 AM   #1   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungAffen Send a message via MSN to AchtungAffen
Problems when installing a second net card!

Damn! I never thought AB would be back... I've been waiting for it, just to ask this!

Joking, well, this is what happened. I installed a second net card on my old server PC. I wanted to network it with the other one I got, and still be able to connect to the internet. I imagined about sharing the connection with the new PC (I don't think I will, for security reasons) or at least, let my pops to use the wideband connection with his own PC.

So, I had a PCI net card originally installed on the PC. I had only one slot left, and that's where I installed the second card. But behold! When I installed the second card, the first one, the original, ceased working!!

So, I took off the new card, and everything worked again.

But I'm stubborn, and I NEEDED those PC's networked and using the connection at the same time. So I reinstalled the 2nd card, and everything seemed to work. But it wasn't like that:

Once I installed the second card, this card, not the old one, became the one being used by the system to access the router/modem (don't know what the hell it is, the little thingie that connects to the internet, a Tainet stuff), when it used to be the old card the one for this job. But that was nothing, after several attempts to network the PC's, using the old card (and even though Device Manager said I had no problems with it) I couldn't make it work. So I networked with the new card and it worked!

So, I imagine there must be a conflict between both net cards. I used MSINFO32 to see what was going on, and they both use the same IRQ, same as many other devices, all using the same IRQ. I imagine that must be the problem, its not a driver one, a screwed driver when installing something problem, cuz I reinstalled them.

So, I can't change the card to another slot, cuz I have none left. What can I do then?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #2   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
You won't have to worry about several devices using the same IRQs. That is a quite common thing in modern operative systems.

First I will need to know what operative system it is you use, and I guess it would also be useful to know the names of the network cards. It is very difficult to diagnose a problem and provide a solution if you don't know what you're dealing with.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:30 PM   #3   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Oh thanks God you're here! Nobody else ever got me out of so much troubles as you did! Thanks!

Well, I'm using Win2k on both computers. One has a fresh copy with SP4. The other has a 2 year old copy with SP3.

The network cards in the problematic machine are:
Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet NIC (this is the latest one I installed)
SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series) - (this is the one wich came originally with the machine. It used to say SMC1211TX Series, but the latest driver for the TX removed the 'TX' from it, anyways it didn't work before the driver change)

The Realtek one is the one who is working. The other one used to work until I installed the Realtek one.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #4   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
They both show as working in Device Manager? Do you see two Local Area Connections in Network Connections?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 AM   #5   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Yes, they both show as working on device manager.

On network connections I see:
My modem connection
The network connection using the CZ card
The network connection using the Realtek card
and the Winpoet connection for internet.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #6   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Bloody strange. I can't see any reason why the SMC card shouldn't work, when it shows as working in both DM and NC. Have you looked at its Local Area Connection properties to see if all the settings are like they should be and like you want them to be?

If you use static IP Addresses. Make sure the IP Addresses on the two cards are different.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #7   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Yes, I checked that. Even when I put the network cable in, the card recognizes it, although it makes the system unstable... jumps from working to being hung up to working again. But still, recieves no info.
Old 13-01-2004, 06:38 PM   #8   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

So bloody strange, I have no clue as to what could be wrong then. Since everything says it should be working, yet it isn't.

Stupid computers.
Old 14-01-2004, 03:14 AM   #9   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Ok, never mind- Thanks for the help.
Old 15-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #10   [permalink]
GouryG

Send a message via AIM to GouryG Send a message via MSN to GouryG Send a message via Yahoo to GouryG
Here's 2 suggestions

1) Make sure your BIOS is up to date, an older version of the BIOS may not be able to recognize the network cards properly.

2) Check to see if your Motherboard's support software can be updated. It sounds like you may have a problem with the IRQ steering software.
Old 15-01-2004, 07:50 PM   #11   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

How can I know if the BIOS is up to date? Its a compaq machine, so the BIOS is custom for it.

By Motherboard support software... what do you mean? The PC originally came with a custom made Win 98, but I changed it to win2k.
Old 16-01-2004, 01:02 AM   #12   [permalink]
GouryG

Send a message via AIM to GouryG Send a message via MSN to GouryG Send a message via Yahoo to GouryG
When the post screen shows you should see a message saying something along the lines of Award BIOS or Pheonix BIOS with a version number and a date. That will tell you how old your BIOS is. There are 2 ways to update it. You can flash the eprom, or if it isn't soldered in to the MB replace the chip with a new one. This site can help you determine your BIOS version and tell you if an upgrade is available. http://www.esupport.com/index.cfm?refererid=36 If the MB of your comp was made by Compaq, you can contact them to see if new MB drivers are available. If the MB is made by a third party you need to contact the board manufacturer. The new drivers will flash the controller chips on rhe MB if they are flashable.

Last edited by GouryG; 16-01-2004 at 01:04 AM.
GouryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 05:59 PM   #13   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

I don't get any Award Bios or anything when the PC turns on. I only get to see a big Compaq logo. I guess I can check the version on the BIOS setup menu. I'll try that later.

I think the MB is an Intel one. I'm not sure... is there a way to know it before opening the casquet and looking directly?

I think its Intel cuz the graphics card is imbedded into the MB and its an intel 810 chipset.
Old 16-01-2004, 06:28 PM   #14   [permalink]
GouryG

You definitely need to open the cabinet to look at the info stenciled on the MB to identify the MFG. The BIOS id program from the E-Support site should be able to ID your BIOS.

Last edited by GouryG; 16-01-2004 at 06:30 PM.
GouryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #15   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

I just downloaded that BIOS Agent of that site, and it said:

BIOS Type: Compaq Basic
BIOS ID: Unknown

The MB t'seems is a: Intel Whitney 82810-DC100 rev 2

I sent a request to that site. I don't know what will happen, but I don't think I'll pay anything for it, unless its a modical price. I think I should call Compaq to see if they can give me a hand. Thx.