Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

The Future of AnimeBoards Pt II: Attention All Moderators

It’s not really happening is it? The Big Cheese Eva2k has made some good functional and stylistic changes, yet the post rate continues to crawl along like a drunken sloth. It still feels like walking into the bloody Twilight Zone every time I come here, with an eerie silence accentuated by a constant circle of ~20 members (supposedly living creatures) floating past here every day for months on end without so much as uttering a word. Weird.

So the idea of this thread is to get the moderators/forum leaders all here, get our heads together, and thrash out a new strategy to jumpstart this place. I know I’ve got some wicked new ideas up my sleeve, but I want to pick the brains of the moderators as well.

The justification for this separate thread is that none of the moderators joined the soul-electrifying Town Meeting (billed as The Future of AnimeBoards). Also, nobody from the meeting wanted to be a hero and commit to action points, so the spotlight now turns on the moderators.

So, to all the moderators:

Firstly, let’s assess your role. Your official title is a “Forum Leader”. Thus, you’re supposed to lead and show leadership. What is leadership? It is the capacity to lead people through certain actions. Leadership

Originally Posted by R.M. Stoghill, Handbook of Leadership
initiates and maintains improved expectations and competence of the group to solve problems and attain goals.
By these considerations, forum leaders on AB should be striving to build the capacity of all the members to attain the goal of increasing posting activity.

So is there any leadership on AB shown by the moderators at present? I can’t see any leadership qualities on display. For example, according to Hersey-Blanchard situational leadership, successful leaders are those who adapt their behaviour to meet the demands of a particular situation. The Vroom-Yetton model also advocates that leaders be flexible. Here at AB, posting rates have plummeted, but you mods are just not responding and raising your game.

Also, you're not leading by example, not even posting to try and generate discussion. Honestly, if you were replaced by statues, I wouldn’t know the difference. Furthermore, remember that only mods can make polls. Rather than use this to your advantage to make polls on hot topics such as the Olympics, you just let this power go to waste; I can’t even remember the last time a poll was made.

So I conclude that the mods here are not showing sufficient leadership, as befits their role. But leadership is precisely what is needed to help increase the post rate.

Towards a Unified Vision

OK, we can harp on about the current failings all day, but let me ask you mods this: what is your future vision of AB and how do you plan on making it happen? This is of course presuming that you are motivated to do something, which should be a given considering your role: otherwise, why are you a forum leader if you don’t show any leadership at all? Recall how former members of your brethren have revelled in detailed discussions and poll-creation.

Are you going to step up to the plate and fulfil your role?

LET THE DISCUSSION ON THE FUTURE OF ANIMEBOARDS (PART II) BEGIN.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 09-09-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
While reading this a few things came to mind first was that I like hot baths and reading that made me really sleepy. Hmmm sleep or bath what to do? On one hand I can go to sleep and dream of stupid things like:
1. The fact that I play way to much FFXI
2. That I love Hawaii and living here is the best
3. About all the morons I have to work with and supervise and how id like to kill some of them.

On the other hand I could take a bath where I would probbly think about the same things but would be awake naked and still sleepy.

However as I read it more the sheer lameness of this post made me think that I should:

1. Put on some soothing music
2. Draw a nice warm bath.
3. Relax in the bath and slit my wrists.
4. Go sleepy.

So in closing this board will never recover to its glory days. Get over it!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #3   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
While reading this a few things came to mind first was that I like hot baths and reading that made me really sleepy. Hmmm sleep or bath what to do? On one hand I can go to sleep and dream of stupid things like:
1. The fact that I play way to much FFXI
2. That I love Hawaii and living here is the best
3. About all the morons I have to work with and supervise and how id like to kill some of them.

On the other hand I could take a bath where I would probbly think about the same things but would be awake naked and still sleepy.

However as I read it more the sheer lameness of this post made me think that I should:

1. Put on some soothing music
2. Draw a nice warm bath.
3. Relax in the bath and slit my wrists.
4. Go sleepy.
Here come the critics again! Usually, they have nothing relevant to say at all and make a god-awful attempt at humour, while performing a vivisection on the English language. You're keeping the tradition alive cool2burn, and for that I applaud you!

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
So in closing this board will never recover to its glory days. Get over it!
Maybe if you spent less time massaging your own ego in your post and engaged your ability to read, you'd notice that this thread isn't about a return to the so-called "glory days", but about increasing the post rate above the ------ level we have now. Also, it was an invite for the moderators to give their vision for the future which could be anything but a return to the "glory days".

Unless you're trying to say that post rates will never increase, in which case you have given zero evidence to suggest it wouldn't if new strategies are implemented. On the contrary, based on the last 2 months at least, post rates will never increase if no new strategies are put into place. So the argument that post rates will never increase and so we should do nothing is killed at birth.

So in closing, I suggest you stop deluding yourself by responding to your warped reading of my post and either come up with something relevant or quite frankly, sod off.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 10-09-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #4   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Yahn

Old 15-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #5   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

But what's this? Why, one the best threads ever, if I may be so bold. cool2burn's dashing of dreary and decadent dreams breathes a fleeting semblance of life into my otherwise monotonous and moribund journey.
"Disgusting."
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #6   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Here you have it: the moderators don't have an effing clue about anything to do with this messageboard. Absolutely empty minds; measuring brain activity - zero.

Eva2k, just get rid of these losers.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #7   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

That's not nice... moderators here at one time put alot of hours and heart into AB and yes the ones that decided to step down have gone by there own choosing.

I guess it's just everyone is busy these days and yeah these days there are alot more real life concerns and obligations with the global climate the way it is.

I ask myself why I ain't posting much here and the answer is time and it's probably the same answer for most the older folks.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #8   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Eva2k used to post!? O.O

Site updates don't count, mr I-dig-being-mysterious-ish
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #9   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

It's what makes us who we are...
"Disgusting."
Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #10   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
That's not nice...
No, it wasn't, but I think my assessment contains tangible elements of truth (more below).

moderators here at one time put alot of hours and heart into AB.
If you are referring to more than about 3 yrs ago, then yes, I agree. If you're talking about the past 2 yrs, then no way. If you're talking about 2008, then not a chance in hell.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the performance of your moderators over the last 2 years, but this is the reality: they never seem to post and further to that, they freely allow robots to spam up the forums. The latter shows that they don't bother to moderate. For example, look up the member Clint999 (http://www.animeboards.com/member.php?u=15615), which has made 7 spam posts already. When a messageboard such as this has so little posting activity and yet still the moderators don't get rid of spam posts, then on an objective level, your moderators are not doing their jobs properly. Add to this the fact that there is absolutely no moderation of the copious amounts of spam by current members and they don't even have the courtesy to reply to the thread I made concerning the Future of AnimeBoards in the Feedback subforum, freely letting it become a spam-magnet. You may also remember that I pulled up Glabrezu earlier this year and systematically explained to him the failings of the moderating team. Yet it looks like the quality of the moderating remains an object of ridicule. Therefore, I can quite confidently say:

Eva2k, get rid of these losers. They have done nothing this year.

That is an objective, independent assessment based on hard facts. Naturally, you might want to be protective of your team, but look at it this way: you're paying good money to invest in this place and all your moderators do is, pardon my french, p--- around doing nothing. Are you happy with that?

I'm not sure if you follow soccer, but when players who are supposedly "superstars" don't perform or take the p---, the best managers such as Alex Ferguson will just kick them off the team. For example, Ruud van Nistelrooy was Man Utd's top striker, but Alex had the guts to sell him when he started causing trouble in training. Or take the recent U.S. elections. The Great American Public (TM) were generally tired of the GOP, a big factor being their perceived economic failures, and voted them out of office. The point is that you've got to make tough decisions to at least try and improve things around here and your moderators are doing their level best to waste your money.

I guess it's just everyone is busy these days and yeah these days there are alot more real life concerns and obligations with the global climate the way it is.
Let's put it this way: You've been much more active than the moderators. Your mods are just lazy. So if the mods do nothing and are unlikely to do anything due to a lack of time, then all the more reason to strip them of their duties. There are other members who come here and post more regularly who can do a far better job, and you're going to miss a real trick here when they stop coming.

I ask myself why I ain't posting much here and the answer is time and it's probably the same answer for most the older folks.
Yet you have been much more active than all the moderators combined this year. You've given this place a facelift and you're probably still the one approving all member applications. In contrast, the moderators have done nothing, and that I can only put down to their feckless way of moderating. I'm telling you straight here that they are literally taking your money and pissing on it. I would have gotten rid of them a long time ago and appointed new moderators who are not afraid to enforce the rules here, because this place has turned into a laughing stock, even for those who still post.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 12-11-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 13-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #11   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Other than yourself, do you think anyone cares that the mods arent as active anymore? Also you shouldn't call em losers, unlike most sites, our mods were selected for their awesomeness and not their desire to rule humanity.
Old 13-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #12   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Pengi you forget the type of person that your talking to the type that nit picks other peoples grammar.... Im almost sure he doesn’t watch Anime because he likes it but to find all the grammar errors in the fansubbing and send emails to the fansub groups complaining and telling them how his awesome I am above you all thinking will fix all there grammar problems.

Old 13-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #13   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
Other than yourself, do you think anyone cares that the mods arent as active anymore?
I would think Eva2k cares because he's investing good money into his AnimeBoards Project and therefore has an interest in the performance of his moderators in moulding the image of this board to his ideals.

As for other members, virtually all of them don't give a toss about discussing anything. So the fact that they don't care about the performance of the mods is not specific to this particular topic, and reflects a general apathy rather than the pointlessness of this topic relative to other topics on AB.

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
Also you shouldn't call em losers, unlike most sites, our mods were selected for their awesomeness and not their desire to rule humanity.
The key word here is "were". But what are they now? My key point was that over the last 2 years, they have been anything but awesome and I've given some hard facts in my last post and other posts. They were chosen to moderate and they haven't been doing that properly.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
Pengi you forget the type of person that your talking to the type that nit picks other peoples grammar.... Im almost sure he doesn’t watch Anime because he likes it but to find all the grammar errors in the fansubbing and send emails to the fansub groups complaining and telling them how his awesome I am above you all thinking will fix all there grammar problems.
What kind of snake-oil are you trying to sell here? Let's get the facts right here:

You have continuously spammed AnimeBoards for months with posts that are totally unrelated to the thread topic. Also, you don't make the odd grammar mistake here and there - your sentence structure is fundamentally mutated on a regular basis with a batshit insane aversion to the use of punctuation.

Sure, we all make grammar mistakes, but in your case, it is the frequency and degree of these mistakes and your meaningless posts that sets you apart. So when I call you out on this, I'm not being serious at all - I'm just telling you the truth which anyone here can see. I'm not nit-picking your grammar, I'm drawing attention to the giant piles of elephant dung.

So don't go bitching to Pengi or anyone for support, because you haven't got the hard facts here to back you up and you deserve all the flak that you get. You are symptomatic of what is wrong with AB - your posts are like a stinking disease devoid of any real intelligence. Playing the victim only compounds your inability to face reality.

Now be a good boy and go spam some other threads, and leave this thread for people that can make intelligible posts.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 13-11-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 13-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #14   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

[QUOTE=You have continuously spammed AnimeBoards for months with posts that are totally unrelated to the thread topic. Also, you don't make the odd grammar mistake here and there - your sentence structure is fundamentally mutated on a regular basis with a batshit insane aversion to the use of punctuation. [/QUOTE]

Correction I only spam these types of threads because I just canít stand them its total nonsense. Even when someone here does reply to your comment's in a respectable manner you do everything in your power to belittle there thinking and to show how superior you are. Can anyone say elitist? Besides I would never try to hold an extremely intelligent conservation on an animeboard anyhow. But im sure you will make some drawn out reply to this full of big words and im sure you will feel quite smug afterwards.

Old 18-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #15   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

My response is: what drugs made you come up with this hypothesis? I thought it would have been blindingly obvious that there is no real benefit for me to use an aimless short-term strategy with fairly obvious attempts at disruption. And why would I even mention Star Trek online in my signature? Also, if you were as observant as you are sure on online identities, youíd notice idiosyncrasies such as Zsyigadar not leaving a gap between a letter and a bracket opening. This person even spells a word differently to how I usually spell it. Sherlock Holmes you ain't.

So in conclusion: I donít know who the f-uck Zsyigadar is and I seem to have been incorrectly identified (by various people) with at least 3 different people during 2008, from what I have read.
Closed Thread