View Poll Results: Pick the options/special features you'd drop to make more space for anime on DVDs
Multiple languages beyond Japanese 13 24.07%
Higher quality audio/video encoding 5 9.26%
Quizzes and trivia 36 66.67%
"Making of" featurettes and documentaries 17 31.48%
Character bios/sketches 20 37.04%
Full openings/closings/eyecatches for each episode 15 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-05-2003, 12:17 AM   #1   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Question DVD Choices

This is for the folks who want more episodes per disc. Which of these options (and you can pick more than one!) would you eliminate to save space for more episodes on anime DVDs?
Old 14-05-2003, 01:26 AM   #2   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Character bios/sketches, I think they are pretty much useless with the extras thats the thing I never bother to check

Multiple languages beyond Jap does that mean the English dub or like French/German etc? Because Ive never seen DVDs with that many dubs
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 02:38 AM   #3   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Languages beyond Jap isn't essential and I've never been a fan of quiz/trivia although that is incredibly rare on anime DVD anyway
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 12:39 PM   #4   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Multi Lang, Quiz, Full Op and Ending for each episode.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 02:07 PM   #5   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
The quizzes since you can make those available as a part of a secret site accessible through DVD-Rom only.

As for you people that don't want multi languages, stop being elitists and realize not everyone watches their anime in Japanese.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 03:49 PM   #6   [permalink]
Destructa
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Destructa
I chose quizzes. Just go on the internet if you want quizzes
Destructa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 06:13 PM   #7   [permalink]
Glenn MeisTriumph
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Glenn MeisTriumph Send a message via Yahoo to Glenn MeisTriumph
i chose quizzes. I dont think Ive seen a dvd with a quiz on it...I can also do without making of features and the like
Glenn MeisTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 08:43 PM   #8   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Quizzes, and character bios/sketches. I've never seen a quiz or trivia on a dvd before, and I haven't gone crazy yet, so I guess I can do without them. Character bios, IMO, should be included in an insert inside of the dvd case, a la X TV series. That way, they can be taken off of the dvd itself. Sketches or line art is something I've never really enjoyed. It's okay in manga, but why put it on a dvd? Who's really looking at them? Save that space, and put another episode on the disc instead. Put the line art in another insert, if it has to be there.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2003, 09:18 PM   #9   [permalink]
Nilrem
Executive Member

quizzes

full op/end could be redone to reshow the same section of DVD i beleive (if they were all the same), that would save some space.

Character bios/background info and "making of" all depend on the series and the quality of the section, some series/DVD's have a great "making of" section (Gunsmith Cats for example).

Extra Languages, get rid of them and unfortately you'd probably lower the number of disks sold (meaning higher disk prices at a guess)

Video/Sound Quality.
Definately leave the video alone, sound erm maybe limit it to one track of each language.
no need for 5.1 and stereo in any language, especially if the original was only Stereo (if there are both then go for 5.1, all DVD players should be able to downmix to Stereo if need be)
Nilrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 03:47 AM   #10   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

If something can be put on either an insert or the DVD itself (character bio, quiz, line art) then it should go on an insert, leaving more room on the DVD for another episode.

Languages: you have to be practical here. Nobody is going to make separate DVDs for each country, they are going to put a number of languages on the same disk and export it worldwide. For example you can watch the DVD of Groundhog Day in Russian with Greek subs, or German with French subs, or Italian with Arabic subs. Anime shouldn't be any different.

If a movie like Lord Of The Rings fits on one DVD, with all the language options, then an anime series should have a number of eps to make up the same duration. Even a VCD can comfortably handle 3 x 22mins! DVD compression is way higher, the content should reflect that.
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 09:30 AM   #11   [permalink]
Id0
Executive Member

Voted: "Quizzes and trivia"...
Quizzes and other type of things... i think i wouldnt even bother doing... i'd much rather do a test/game over the net or something... i guess that something i'd ahve do right off...
Id0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #12   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Akira
As for you people that don't want multi languages, stop being elitists and realize not everyone watches their anime in Japanese.
Isn't this poll about what we want? We don't want multi languages. Sucks to the others then. They might want it, but we sure as hell don't give a wooden kidney.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 05:33 PM   #13   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I voted for less of the following...,

Quizzes and trivia - pointless, & beggars the question as to why they are on the DVD in the first place...,
"Making of" featurettes and documentaries - some are alright.., but I only tend to watch them once...,
Character bios/sketches - if I want sketches..., I'll buy an art book...,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 06:12 PM   #14   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Dr0nak Send a message via Yahoo to Dr0nak
Hmm. Let's get some clarification before I decide on a vote, shall we? It's a choice on what to give up, hmm.

So does multiple languages besides Japanese mean no dub track at all? Full OP/ED/eyecatches -- by that you mean the ones they normally show for every episode, not the textless versions that get included as extras on some DVDs?

My current thoughts on the choices: I'd keep one dub on the DVDs in a language appropriate for the country it will be sold in. Yes, that means multiple DVDs for different countries/regions, but all you *really* want is a dub in your native language, right? I know all I want is the English dub track; I can happily do with dub tracks in any other languages. Quality of encoding -- I think I'd be willing to take a drop in that if the degradation wasn't obviously noticeable. There's only so much detail the eye can see anyway; keep the quality loss small enough that it's hardly noticeable and it would be OK with me. A big, obvious drop I don't think I'd go for though. Quizzes and trivia -- haven't seen these as extras and I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to drop them. "Making of"s -- they could probably go, but I do like hearing about some of the behind the scenes stuff. Character bio/sketches -- I could probably do without these, too, but I'd probably drop the still drawings before the biographies. The pics are usually just cropped stills from the anime (from what I can tell), but the bios can have some cute information in them. Full OP/ED/eyecatch -- tough call. Admittedly they are repetitive and just take up more space and time on the disk, but I do kind of like them for setting the mood. If you could put them on the disk only once and program the DVD to bop between them and the episodes, that could save space though. As far as textless OP/ED extras go, well, they're nice, but not the kind of thing I'd watch over and over so I suppose I'd be willing to lose them.

So in summary , drop:
* Multiple languages beyond Japanese -- no; suggested alternative: keep one and only one dub track, in language of target country
* Higher quality encoding -- yes, but only if the degradation was small enough not to be blatantly obvious
* Quizzes and trivia -- yes
* "Making of" -- maybe
* Character bios/sketches -- drop sketches before bios
* Full OP/ED/eyecatch -- no; suggested alternative: if possible, put them on only once per disk instead of once per episode

Whoever said before that what can go on printed inserts, liner notes, and the like should, I agree with. You can just stick in an extra sheet with trivia, quizzes, interviews (Q&A ones, but maybe not others), character bios/sketches, etc. and drop them from the DVD. Doing that in order to make room for more episodes per DVD is a good idea.
Dr0nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2003, 09:57 PM   #15   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Quote:
Asks Dr0nak:
So does multiple languages besides Japanese mean no dub track at all?
No other language besides Japanese. Perhaps I should have put it another way: Only 1 language and no option to switch to. I wish I'd thought of that earlier. ><

Full OP/ED/eyecatches -- by that you mean the ones they normally show for every episode, not the textless versions that get included as extras on some DVDs?
I mean the opening credits that are repeated for the beginning of each episode, the ending credits that are repeated at the end of each episode, and the "halftime breaks" in the middle of each episode. The option can stand for all of the above or just the ones you want. The gist of the option means you want more anime, not more stock anime company stuff.