Old 17-09-2005, 06:21 AM   #1   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Xenosaga III: Also Sprach Zarathustra

I just checked out the screenshots for the game. They definately look good. Especially Shion. Now I got go back and beat Xenosaga II. By the way, it seems like this will be the final Xenosaga game. So I'm wondering will we get a chance to see this one truly "tie" in with Xenogears? Only time will tell. Anyways here are the pics:

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/art...6/news015.html
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #2   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Splintr420
Sorry to revive an old topic, but I didn't want to make a whole new post...

I was looking on ign.com and saw that this is now a japan only release. I know that isn't the end all, but its got me worried. I've played the first one and I'm on the second one; I'd be a little pissed if they refuse to finish the series here in the US too. Is there any information that might be the contrary? And if not, is there a way I can get the game and play it on an American PS2 (the newt, slim version)? I know you can mod a playstation, but the other problem is that I can't speak japanese. Is this whole thing just futile?

Oh yeah, I'm mad about it ending early too. oh well

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Splintr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #3   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
OK this one too? This has to be some IGN lacky having fun. No way these high profile games are not coming to the US especially with no story covering it.

I haven't been a huge fan of the Xeno series but at least is coming to a close with this one. Seeing the latest trailer is good though because it confirmed a certain character will be in this installment

Last edited by MrBS; 18-03-2006 at 06:50 PM.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #4   [permalink]
Gundam_pilot01
Executive Member

Nice, I aint even gotten very far in the second installment but I have to say this looks very impressive. I guess I better get cracking and play the second one.
Old 20-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #5   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

It releases in July 2006, so it's coming close. I'm really looking forward to it, seeing that the gameplay of the second game was a little lacking (although the story was wonderful).

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 20-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #6   [permalink]
Kroni

It better be long, or else I fear they will cram in the story too much.
Old 20-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #7   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Judging from the other two games, my guess would be that it'll be 30-50 hours in length. I've read some stuff that makes it sound like it'll turn into a star wars deal: 3 games now, 3 games later on. This game should finish the series, but not completely, so if they wanted to expand it to the original 6, they could.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #8   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

There's just something about Xenosaga that doesn't quite click for me. I saw lots of footage of Xenosaga III, and it seems to have stuck to the rather bland (obligatory condition: IMO), futuristic setting. In the original Xenogears, Mr. Wong and Ms Van Houten were zipping through grasslands, the desert, underground caves, villages, under the sea, ships, castles and sky palaces. In the odd 20 hrs which I played Xenosaga I, it seemed like a never-ending conveyor belt of space colonies.

Or maybe it was the characters that didn't insipre me. Mr. Wong killed most of his whole village, including his best friend, incurred the wrath of his village and was ostracized, with only Citan standing by him. Furthermore, plot intrigues were introduced, such as the mysterious statue found by Citan and the curious flashbacks by Ms Van Houten. These plot devices made the indiscriminant use of words from every religion and psychology under the sun more than bearable.

In Xenosaga, you have a bunch of spirits attacking a space ship. OK, the origins of KOSMOS was intriguing (including why the creators based her looks on a barbie doll), as was the "hey, are robots like humans?" angle, but it wasn't nearly as mysterious as why Mr. Wong suddenly started piloting an Evangelion-like robot and blew the hell out of his best friends. Add to this some really bland characters, like one-trick pony Allen, Chaos (who looks like someone from "The Tweenies") and Mr. Shevchenko (or whatever his name was). In fact, the only interesting character for me was Ziggurat, and that was because there was this interesting thread where he supposedly wanted to die but was forced to live on as a robot or something. The long, Lord-of-the-Rings-esque cut scenes didn't help.

So back to Xenosaga III, I saw some hooded blokes chanting something vaguely foreboding, but then I saw this ghastly scene where KOSMOs was beating down her evil alter-ego and was referred to as "Mary Magdalene". I thought OK, that might sound profound for people who care enough about the Bible, but can't you just come up with your own name instead of using things out of context? At least in Xenogears, even though you end up killing God (God is dead!), they used the generic name deus, rather than something specific like Yahweh, Allah or flipping Jesus Christ superstar. So I get this feeling the Xenosaga series has just crossed over to the pretentious side.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 02-08-2007 at 07:36 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #9   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

hmmm ... with the pace of ps3 games (read slooooooow production), I think I will checkout XenoSaga III ... I thought "I" was okay, and tha "II" was kind "not exciting?" ... hopefully "III" will be more balanced in terms of story and gameplay.

Funny how I basically unplugged the old PS2 in anticipation of descent PS3 stuff ... and I end up playing PS2 games ... oh well, it is a well known fact that early adopters are the functional guinea pigs of the product.

Sam
Old 02-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #10   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by SamIam
hmmm ... with the pace of ps3 games (read slooooooow production), I think I will checkout XenoSaga III ... I thought "I" was okay, and tha "II" was kind "not exciting?" ... hopefully "III" will be more balanced in terms of story and gameplay.

Funny how I basically unplugged the old PS2 in anticipation of descent PS3 stuff ... and I end up playing PS2 games ... oh well, it is a well known fact that early adopters are the functional guinea pigs of the product.

Sam
If you haven't played Xenogears yet, I'd recommend that over Xenosaga III. The battles are tedious, but I think it makes up for it in story. It depends on what you're after though: realistic graphics, plot, gameplay etc.

I bought a PS2 and ended up playing PS1 games such as Legend of Mana. Then I just gave up on gaming. At the time, I thought the trend towards realism was really stifling imagination.

P.S. Has this place turned into SamIamBoards.com
Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #11   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by John Faulkner

P.S. Has this place turned into SamIamBoards.com
hmmm ... was beginning to wonder that myself it kind of feels like I am trying to keep "the party" alive ... when the majority has gone to sleep?

Maybe its my deoderant ...
Old 03-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #12   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by John Faulkner
If you haven't played Xenogears yet, I'd recommend that over Xenosaga III. The battles are tedious, but I think it makes up for it in story. It depends on what you're after though: realistic graphics, plot, gameplay etc.
... definitely check it out, actually it has the added incentive of being an older title? ... which would take alot of the sting out of a blind purchace if it does not prove to be my cup of tea ...
Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #13   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

hmmm ... was beginning to wonder that myself it kind of feels like I am trying to keep "the party" alive ... when the majority has gone to sleep?
Man, you know what? It really does feel like a party atmosphere, like the biggest night club in Ibiza or something. Feels nothing like the North Pole, the Mariana Trench or Neptune, nope, just the exact opposite. Let's PART-TAY!!!

... definitely check it out, actually it has the added incentive of being an older title? ... which would take alot of the sting out of a blind purchace if it does not prove to be my cup of tea ...
Just checked out its release date and Xenogears is nearly going on 10yrs! Should be worth a flutter if you can get it relatively cheap. Was actually the last RPG I ever completed: it was like watching a really long anime - the random battles were like fillers, the story sections like key episodes and the anime cut scenes were, well, like a real anime. I think the characters are a strong point: in some respects better than the FFVII crew, and definitely more complex than the airheads in FFVIII and FFIX.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #14   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
I beat Xenosaga III already and have to say the ending was cool enough to see.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 02:00 AM   #15   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Didn't realize I started this thread awhile back! Needless to say, I've already beaten the game. The ending was sad, yet there was some closure to it. I enjoyed playing the game tremendously as the story was definately engaging and kept you going.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote