Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Member is Too Immature

Dear Eva2k and Moderators,

I am sure that, like myself, you are keen to re-establish the good rapport we had earlier this year, and really drive this place forward in order to create the best messageboard the world has ever seen. . As such, I will strain every sinew to help you in your respective roles.

So firstly, I believe I have found a member who is just too immature - http://www.animeboards.com/member.php?u=16014 (11 yrs old). The rules (http://animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=55531) suggest that the minimum age is 13 yrs old (personally, I think it should be higher, given the demographics of this forum), so could you please get rid of this member? We certainly don't want this place to become full of babies talking about boring middle school (some might say high school as well)-related garbage like homework, baking cookies in class and "your favourite subject/teacher". .

Yours faithfully,

J. F.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 12-06-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #2   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
I think actions decide who is immature, so far this member has 0 posts. I think we'll wait and see how it goes.
Old 13-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I'm pretty sure that is an FBI account, or DraniX's alt. Eitherway, not a huge threat to the safety of the boards. Unless you watched that anime..you know the one
Old 13-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #4   [permalink]
Pen2
Senior Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pen2
Funny, that's the most oddly literate 11 year old I've ever seen. What's your real issue?
Old 13-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by ATh View Post
I think actions decide who is immature, so far this member has 0 posts. I think we'll wait and see how it goes.
Good to see that you've finally replied to one of my threads in this sub-forum! Good stuff, two thumbs up . More of the same please!

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
I'm pretty sure that is an FBI account, or DraniX's alt.
I refuse to believe that DraniX would sink this low. I mean, we're talking about someone who consistently makes excellent posts that are well thought out.

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
Unless you watched that anime..you know the one
Er ... no.

Originally Posted by Pen2 View Post
Funny, that's the most oddly literate 11 year old I've ever seen.
Might be one of those posh kids that get sent to grammar school by their haute bourgeoisie guardians.

Originally Posted by Pen2 View Post
What's your real issue?
I'm just providing constructive feedback, and trying my best to help you guys out. I mean, apart from this thread, I've already pointed out more than 2 possible spammers in two other replies since I have returned - I understand how busy you guys are so I'm doing all I can to help you. On a strategic level, I don't think that letting in people as young as 11 is going to help to build the community back up again, for reasons already explained in my first post here. Besides, it would be rude for me not to drop by and say hi after my absence. .

That's right. I'm turning over a new leaf Eva2k and moderators. People have criticised me for not being more positive with you guys and encouraging you more. And how I have listened. I'm turning over a verdant new rainforest.

My passion for getting this place out of its rut is burning ever stronger. I have one more campaign left in me and with your help, we can achieve our dreams. We can become an inseparable team that will truly shake up the world of anime messageboards. We will stand and fall together, my comrades. Today, I have donned my battle-armour and rode my trusty steed to survey the battlefield. The war can be won. My sword is sheathed, eagerly awaiting to be drawn. Like a kukri, it shall have to taste haemoglobin.

ALEA JACTA EST!!
Old 14-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #6   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Dear Eva2k and Moderators,

I am sure that, like myself, you are keen to re-establish the good rapport we had earlier this year, and really drive this place forward in order to create the best messageboard the world has ever seen. . As such, I will strain every sinew to help you in your respective roles.

So firstly, I believe I have found a member who is just too immature - http://www.animeboards.com/member.php?u=16014 (11 yrs old). The rules (http://animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=55531) suggest that the minimum age is 13 yrs old (personally, I think it should be higher, given the demographics of this forum), so could you please get rid of this member? We certainly don't want this place to become full of babies talking about boring middle school (some might say high school as well)-related garbage like homework, baking cookies in class and "your favourite subject/teacher". .

Yours faithfully,

J. F.
First you complain there isnt enough members then you complain about the members we have ... Immature your joking right this is a god damn Anime forum! not some PG-13 gaming site.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
Old 14-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #7   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
First you complain there isnt enough members then you complain about the members we have ...
All I'm doing is providing constructive feedback to our friendly admin and moderators here. Previously, I drew attention to the fact that new members were not being approved at all. Now they are - great job Eva2k and the moderators . Now, it is a case of getting these new members to post more - this requires community building and this thread is just a small part of this process. .

As a valuable member of the AB community, cool2burn, your opinions are always valued by me and I'm sure by the management here too. Don't hold back, we want your viewpoints!
Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
Immature your joking right this is a god damn Anime forum! not some PG-13 gaming site.
You have read the forum rules, right? http://animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=55531
Quote:
Animeboards wishes to maintain a moderately high level of decency. Common sense and the wishes of the administrator have set this level at the age of 13.
So what if this is a god damn Anime forum? Does that mean we don't have standards? I recognise that Eva2k wishes to see this place maintain some level of decency, and that is why I'm helping him out here. The member I am referring to in this thread looked like a clear violation of this rule of decency.

An Anime forum is not synonymous with a free-for-all immaturity bonanza. That is not what AnimeBoards is about and that is not what made AnimeBoards reach its zenith years ago. As a long-standing member, surely you should recognise the rich history of this forum and strive to uphold its traditional values, and not advocate a relaxation of standards that would lead to a complete destruction of its roots. .
Old 15-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #8   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
All I'm doing is providing constructive feedback to our friendly admin and moderators here. Previously, I drew attention to the fact that new members were not being approved at all. Now they are - great job Eva2k and the moderators . Now, it is a case of getting these new members to post more - this requires community building and this thread is just a small part of this process. .

As a valuable member of the AB community, cool2burn, your opinions are always valued by me and I'm sure by the management here too. Don't hold back, we want your viewpoints!

You have read the forum rules, right? http://animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=55531

So what if this is a god damn Anime forum? Does that mean we don't have standards? I recognise that Eva2k wishes to see this place maintain some level of decency, and that is why I'm helping him out here. The member I am referring to in this thread looked like a clear violation of this rule of decency.

An Anime forum is not synonymous with a free-for-all immaturity bonanza. That is not what AnimeBoards is about and that is not what made AnimeBoards reach its zenith years ago. As a long-standing member, surely you should recognise the rich history of this forum and strive to uphold its traditional values, and not advocate a relaxation of standards that would lead to a complete destruction of its roots. .
Are you kidding? Really? What do you do, troll the member lists looking for underage members?

Far be it from me for speaking for the admin, since I'm sure they're very capable of speaking for themselves, but your "constructive feedback" sounds more like condescension to me. "Being positive" towards the admin doesn't mean attempting to usurp their role. I'm sure they're well aware of the rules (being that they're admin) and they're fully able and willing to enforce them according to the spirit of this forum without you stepping in to tell them their job.

Also, your quoting of the rules is absurd, since the only rule there that even remotely mentions 13 has absolutely nothing to do with your twisted interpretation.

Originally Posted by Rule 5
"Animeboards wishes to maintain a moderately high level of decency. Common sense and the wishes of the administrator have set this level at the age of 13. Therefore, do not post things that depict or describe, in terms patently offensive, sexual or excretory activities or organs. In addition, do not post things depicting or describing, in terms patently offensive, torture or rape. Moderators have permission to interpret which terms are "patently offensive" and which are not."
I believe what that means is not that people under 13 are banned, but rather that the language and topics of conversation should be of the level that a 13-year-old should reasonably hear. Meaning, no graphic descriptions or depictions of the above mentioned things and keeping language decent.

You trying to use this rule against a member who hasn't even posted yet, much less said or done anything indecent or to break any rules is ridiculous.

Get a hobby, preferably one not related to trying to ban a perfectly legitimate member of the community.
Old 15-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #9   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by dheu View Post
Are you kidding? Really? What do you do, troll the member lists looking for underage members?
Actually, I saw this Naomi_Anime hanging around as one of the few other active users and thought it was an older member. So I clicked on the profile, to be blinded by garish colours.

Far be it from me for speaking for the admin, since I'm sure they're very capable of speaking for themselves, but your "constructive feedback" sounds more like condescension to me.
How in the world did you construe my positive comments as condescending? Some people were slating me for being negative!

"Being positive" towards the admin doesn't mean attempting to usurp their role.
Like you are trying to assume their role in this thread, by speaking for them after the mods have already replied?

I'm sure they're well aware of the rules (being that they're admin) and they're fully able and willing to enforce them according to the spirit of this forum without you stepping in to tell them their job.
Where in this thread was I telling Eva2k and the mods to do their jobs? I merely suggested an action which was in accord with my interpretation of the rules. ATh and Pen2 kindly clarified the meaning of the rules, so what's the problem? And sometimes, the mods do miss out spam accounts - they're only human after all. So I bring these to their attention and they've subsequently been banned - e.g., beauty123, clint999 or something and most recently, juano. Also, ATh just banned a member advertising illegal anime downloads (these thieves are filth of the lowest substratum), and I helped him by posting in that thread to draw attention to it. Good job ATh! You're fast becoming one of my fave mods. .

As far as I can see, there is no rule against helping the admin team here, and I'm posting in the correct sub-forum. .

Also, your quoting of the rules is absurd, since the only rule there that even remotely mentions 13 has absolutely nothing to do with your twisted interpretation.
Absolutely nothing is a bit of an over-exaggeration, don't you think? It was at worst loosely related.

I believe what that means is not that people under 13 are banned, but rather that the language and topics of conversation should be of the level that a 13-year-old should reasonably hear. Meaning, no graphic descriptions or depictions of the above mentioned things and keeping language decent.
The implied meaning of that rule seemed to be that maturity at the level of a 13-yr old is expected, and hence this could mean that people younger than that are not welcome here. Doesn't seem so far-fetched to me. The rule was ambiguous, but the mods kindly clarified the rule, so kudos to them .

You trying to use this rule against a member who hasn't even posted yet, much less said or done anything indecent or to break any rules is ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous, I've given my reasoning in my first post.

Get a hobby,
Got hobbies already. .

preferably one not related to trying to ban a perfectly legitimate member of the community.
Wouldn't dream of doing that. .
Old 15-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #10   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

The implied meaning of that rule seemed to be that maturity at the level of a 13-yr old is expected, and hence this could mean that people younger than that are not welcome here. Doesn't seem so far-fetched to me.
It's actually incredibly far-fetched, but far be it from me to destroy your illusions.

It seems to me that it's rather a waste of time and space for you to create threads denouncing a fellow member and calling for them to be banned when in all actuality it's merely your personal opinion that anyone below 13 should not be on the boards that is driving you. Until the rules explicitly state that everyone has to be 13 and above, it's just rude for you to try to recommend a ban simply because the member in question is 11, when they haven't committed any ban-worthy action.
Old 15-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #11   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

It's actually incredibly far-fetched,
Reason?

It seems to me that it's rather a waste of time and space for you to create threads denouncing a fellow member and calling for them to be banned when in all actuality it's merely your personal opinion that anyone below 13 should not be on the boards that is driving you.
It's not just personal opinion; it was a legitimate interpretation based on the rules that currently exist and grounded on logical reasoning. You might object to this interpretation, but that's your problem and you need to back up your arguments.

Until the rules explicitly state that everyone has to be 13 and above, it's just rude for you to try to recommend a ban simply because the member in question is 11, when they haven't committed any ban-worthy action.
It's not rude at all, because it helped to clarify the rules for the good of the whole community. And it wasn't clear when I made this thread that the 11 yr old (allegedly) was not ban-worthy.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 15-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 15-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #12   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Reason?
For the simple fact that it expressly doesn't say that anyone under the age of 13 is banned. Thus any idea you might have formed that people under 13 are banned was purely a result of your own interpretation, with no relation to the rules themselves.

For the sake of argument, let's just look at your take on things, that the rule is saying that all members must have the maturity of a 13-year-old. It's still wrong to try to get an 11 year old thrown out based on that. After all, maturity is an action, not an age. There are 11 year olds who are more mature than teenagers I've seen. Yet we're talking about someone who hasn't even posted yet, not even once, and you're forming judgments on whether or not they're ban-worthy?
Old 16-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #13   [permalink]
Pen2
Senior Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pen2
Well thanks for taking the time out of your day to inform us, now that everything's clear on the non-banning of preeteens we can move on.
Closed Thread