Old 15-01-2003, 11:30 AM   #1   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Maguamaru Send a message via Yahoo to Maguamaru
Question Sound/Wave driver problems?

Well, this has been giving me trouble for a while now...
You see, normally, my PC plays wave audio just fine. But in certain games and with certain pieces of software, there's huge amounts of ungainly static added to any wave sound for no apparent reason.
The two programs that spring to mind instantly are Tomb Raider II and RPG Maker 2000, both of which suffer this problem - though RM2K suffers visual slowdown aswell, and TRII only suffers audio trouble. Another point of interest was that TRII played CD Audio just fine with no static, and lowering the resolution/toggling off the various filters didn't help at all.
I'm starting to think it's something with my sound card in general, or at LEAST the software related to it... so could anyone shed some light on this? For the record, I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128 V.008 with Legacy Emulation:

Output Mode - Analog
S/PDIF Output - Analog and Digital Sources

SB-16 Emulation Settings:

Port - 220
IRQ - 7
8-Bit DMA - 1
16-Bit DMA - 7

MPU-401 Settings:

Port - 330
IRQ - 7

AdLib Settings:

Port - 388
Old 16-01-2003, 07:35 AM   #2   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
first of all, where is the soundcard located in the case? it should be in the furthest slot from the PSU (power supply unit) because PSU's magnetic power is capable of altering the electrical current on the boards, especially the sound card. the graphic card doesn't matter since that's 100% digital, but sound isn't digital, that's from the sound card to the speaker. that's why you hear static instead of weird frequency noises. it's just like using you're hairdryer near a television. because televisons are prone to electromagnetic magnetism, they become staticised. and you hear buzzes and see lines on the screen.

other than that, some sound cards are just too 'weak' to be used on a PC. if you ever got an Audigy or Audigy 2, you'll know what i'm talking about. clear, crisp sound. it won't even slow things down. that's why sounds cards like Hercules Muse XL are cheap and sounds nice but does hog up some hardware specs.

they are the two main reasons. the others can be infinite possibilities, so i'm not going in that far.

[edit] i think i'll add my story of sound cards too.

i used to use SB16, the really really old one. it sounded fine, of course, until i played Deus Ex. the sound card actually crashed the game all the time. unbelieable? well, i just left the game alone without uninstalling it, and later got Hercules Muse Lt (couldn't find Muse XL, close enough). now, Deus Ex works flawlessly now, although the sound card does slow the computer down when i run IE together with WinAMP. it shouldn't, but i know it's the sound card's problem.

hope that tells you why sounds cards are important. and people should consider their sound card specs important. not just because some are really clear, but help reduce laggyness. and they have to understand sound cards are one of the major problems in computing industry. because no one ever suspects the sound card

Last edited by GuGuEaTeR; 16-01-2003 at 07:40 AM.
GuGuEaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2003, 03:43 PM   #3   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Maguamaru Send a message via Yahoo to Maguamaru
Thanks for the advice, Gugu! I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to install one. ^_^
However, I'm pretty sure it can't be that... it's only those two programs that seem to do it at all, really. Even the later TR games (checked III and Chronicles specifically) run with crystal clear sound, but TRII? Nooooo...
I think it's because TRII and RM2K are using something that the other programs aren't, and therein lies the problem. WHAT it is, though, is beyond me... it must be fixable, too, since RM2K never used to do this a year ago, and I haven't upgraded at all. As for TRII, this is the first time I ever played it.
Old 17-01-2003, 02:05 AM   #4   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
one thing you can try is to measure CPU usage while the application (or a game) is running. if it's reaching 100% there's a chance that the sound will be bad.

also install lastest drivers for both the video card and the sound card.

other than that, it's just usually the game itself. or a wrong setting out of millions out there. just one little thing can change everything so drastically...