Old 05-12-2002, 05:41 PM   #1   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Nagha's revenge
A new PSU.

So I need a new PSU. I've got my eye on an Enermax.

My problem is all those bastards look alike. Reviews are nice, but there actually are so bloody many of them out there. How the hell can I choose?

I need a new PSU because the other's cables are too short. I'm looking for a PSU of at least 300W. So I'm flexible.

I invite you to share your opinion or experiences with any PSU you think I might find useful, or if you have a funny PSU related story to tell. I like quiet things, but I also like my PSUs cool. That's one of the reasons I'm not going for an Antec. Advice is welcome as well.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."

-- Gandhi

Last edited by Nagha's revenge; 06-12-2002 at 02:46 AM.
Nagha's revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:41 PM   #2   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Why not try out the Zalman ZM 300A
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 09:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Re: A new PSU.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagha's revenge
So I need a new PSU. I've got my eye on an Enermax.

My problem is all those bastards look alike. Reviews are nice, but there actually are so bloody many of them out there. How the hell can I choose?

I need a new PSU because the other's cable's are too short. I'm looking for a PSU of at least 300W. So I'm flexible.

I invite you to share your opinion or experiences with any PSU you think I might find useful, or if you have a funny PSU related story to tell. I like quiet things, but I also like my PSUs cool. That's one of the reasons I'm not going for an Antec. Advice is welcome as well.
I have had very good experiences using Antec's TruePower line of PSU's ... they may be a touch more expensive than generic PSUs but, based on my personal observations and initial reviews .. they are engineered and constructed better.

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:55 AM   #4   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Quote:
TK! Dude!
Why not try out the Zalman ZM 300A
That's like an Enermax 330W only more expensive. I wonder if that makes it better. . . . >.< (Yes, this is what I mean, I'm in PSU hell.)

SamIam, I have heard good things about Antec Truepower as well. My biggest gripe is the fact that those PSUs preferre to stay quiet before they stay cool. They will overheat before they increase fan spead. On the up side they don't share wires, so I'll get true five volt and three point something Volt(or whatever). But, if you would be so kind, give us the model number(or max yield) and we'll check her out.

-- Gandhi
Old 06-12-2002, 03:52 AM   #5   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone
Might want to check this out. ^_^

Um, I've been running an Antec TruePower 380W PSU for the last four months, and I haven't encountered any problems. I didn't really need the noise reduction (my PC is noisy enough), but it has been rock solid and reliable.
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:05 AM   #6   [permalink]
SaMADog
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to SaMADog Send a message via AIM to SaMADog
Enermax PSUs have been known for long molex connector cables. If you looking for a good PSU that won't fail and has long cables, Enermax is a good choice
Old 06-12-2002, 07:49 AM   #7   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

A better review on the Zalman, I know you ain't in OC-ing and the 300 Watt is more than sufficiŽnt for your system, what I'm talking about is a quiet and stable PSU instead of adding more noise to your system. Those Trupower of Antec adds two or three fans to your system, imagine what that would do to your noise reduction ideas.
Old 14-12-2002, 04:08 AM   #8   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagha's revenge
That's like an Enermax 330W only more expensive. I wonder if that makes it better. . . . >.< (Yes, this is what I mean, I'm in PSU hell.)

SamIam, I have heard good things about Antec Truepower as well. My biggest gripe is the fact that those PSUs preferre to stay quiet before they stay cool. They will overheat before they increase fan spead. On the up side they don't share wires, so I'll get true five volt and three point something Volt(or whatever). But, if you would be so kind, give us the model number(or max yield) and we'll check her out.
Its funny, I was about to refer you to a reliable source for hardware that I use regularly, (Toms hardware) ... but Jetalone beat me to it. (Good job Jet!)

Well anyway, Jetalones thread has a link to the site article on the comparison of PSU's ... in particular, the Antec 380p. This article is very informative and even includes the Zalman model that Takahashi mentioned ... interestingly, both of our choices were rated highly, with only a slight lead by the Antec model.

Thus my choice Antec True Power 380P.

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2002, 06:53 AM   #9   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Jup, thanks all (especially Jet). I'm going with the Antec afterall (sorry TK).

-- Gandhi
Old 18-12-2002, 06:36 PM   #10   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

So how is the antec performing, interested in the noise production most .