Old 12-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #1   [permalink]
Oogami Ichirou
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Oogami Ichirou Send a message via MSN to Oogami Ichirou
Geforce FX vs ATi9700 Pro

Seriously, which is better? I've read somewhere in a magazine that they are pretty close in graphics pushing power and that actually the 9700 performed better when running UT2003 and a few other things. I'm wondering if I should just screw the Geforce FX and get a computer right now with a 9700 pro since I don't feel like waiting for the FX and it might not even be that great. Anybody have opinions?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:56 PM   #2   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

read tomshardware.com, xbitlabs.com, hardocp.com and other review sites and you'll read that 9700 wipes the floor with FX in most benchies and tests...

plus FX i believe is being discontinued, only preordered units will be shipped IIRC
eva2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:47 PM   #3   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone
Quote:
Originally posted by eva2000

plus FX i believe is being discontinued, only preordered units will be shipped IIRC
The FX Ultra (500/1000) is being discontinued.. regular FX'es (clocked at 400/800) as well as the upcoming NV31 chips are still on their way.

I was disappointed with the FX's performance; the majority of its problems could be attributed to immature drivers, but it also looks like a memory bandwidth problem. I'm not sure how well Intellisample is working ATM.

Personally, if I had to choose NOW, I'd get the 9700 Pro. It's cheaper, it's quieter, and while it won't be as fast as the GFFX + driver update, I'm sure it'll offer better value.
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2003, 02:25 AM   #4   [permalink]
Oogami Ichirou
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Oogami Ichirou Send a message via MSN to Oogami Ichirou
Well that does it then! Radeon 9700 Pro it is!
Old 13-02-2003, 04:20 AM   #5   [permalink]
jetalone
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to jetalone Send a message via AIM to jetalone
oO;;

Just don't come after me with a pitchfork if it happens to be a bad choice.
"Ben touched me very lightly on the shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said, 'What's up?' I said, 'Uh, not much.' Then his hand went down my back a little- more than I was comfortable with. He invited me over to watch movies- I thought. He started, basically, rubbing himself down with baby oil. I was really shocked, I didn't know what to do about it. So, I called up Robert...The rest is history."
-Darren Jessee

P.S. That's Ben Folds, to save me any embarrassment. :heh:

jetalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2003, 04:03 PM   #6   [permalink]
Oogami Ichirou
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Now why would I do that?

Old 18-02-2003, 10:45 AM   #7   [permalink]
Dr0gEn

Cheaper, better, less noisier: R a d e o n 9 7 0 0 Need to get hold of some money and it's mine
Dr0gEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2003, 06:14 PM   #8   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr0gEn
Cheaper, better, less noisier: R a d e o n 9 7 0 0 Need to get hold of some money and it's mine
That about describes the situation ... gadzooks! just look at the size of the fan and heatsink .... any bigger and you would need a separate PSU just for the Graphics Card ... and the NOISE

Anyway, I am lusting after the 9700 AIW ... ohhh... but that purchase is gonna stinnnnnnng.

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #9   [permalink]
Dr0gEn

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIam
That about describes the situation ... gadzooks! just look at the size of the fan and heatsink .... any bigger and you would need a separate PSU just for the Graphics Card ... and the NOISE

Anyway, I am lusting after the 9700 AIW ... ohhh... but that purchase is gonna stinnnnnnng.

SamIam
There's different type of fans on the cards. Some may be noisy, some may not be noisy.