Old 28-06-2001, 12:24 AM   #1   [permalink]
Lordbryn
Forum Junkie

My Opinion.... Anno originally planned to make movies

<WARNING: Very VERY minor spoilers in here, probably wouldn't ruin much if anything at all, but I'm taking no chances. Proceed at your own risk>

I know the entire story was that Anno considered Evangelion complete at the end of the 26 episode run, and only made the movies Death/Rebirth and EoE after the 'whining' of fans for more...

BUT

I find this extremely hard to believe. Part of the reasoning would be the fact so many questions are left unanswered in the series, but that could be because Anno wanted a lot of it to remain a mystery. My question is then, why add so many foreshadowing plots into the episodes that ONLY come together in the movies? For instance, evas 05 through 13 are mentioned in the story. Gendo mentions to Rei in episode 25 that it is time to fufill her role but not what her role is. We know that SEELE and Gendo's plans differ greatly but what was the difference and whose won out in the end? Plus a ton of other foreshadowing moments that only made their way into the movies.

Again some of these may have been added to increase the mystery of the series, but you could remove all references to Unit 05 - 13 and still not have lost anything.

Perhaps Anno did have a negative reaction to all this fan whining, but to present us with all these little 'tips' he had to already know what they meant in the future **aka** he already had at least a story design planned out that would eventually become the movies. It's like Tolkien and the 'Lord of the Rings', he had to create an extensive back story for it which later become the history of Middle Earth and 'The Similarions' <sp?>

Maybe it was something as simple as a marketing ploy to get people more interested into Evangelion or maybe he was so angry with the reaction that he basically did it to humiliate or scold the fans like you would a bratty child too impatient to wait for something. Anyways, I just don't buy into the fact that the movies were made at a whim from scratch just because of a bunch of whiners. That the plans for them where there already.
Old 28-06-2001, 03:23 AM   #2   [permalink]
AsukaLangleySohryu
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to AsukaLangleySohryu
to be the mystery in the series helps to make the story better

as for is it a strategy to attract more viewers,i dont know and dont tink so
Old 28-06-2001, 08:29 AM   #3   [permalink]
Mr_Bug
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Mr_Bug Send a message via AIM to Mr_Bug
I guess this will just be yet another mistery about evangelion
Old 28-06-2001, 08:37 AM   #4   [permalink]
Kaji01
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kaji01 Send a message via Yahoo to Kaji01
Only Anno will know.Wish he was here to answer this.
Old 28-06-2001, 10:09 AM   #5   [permalink]
Ura
Forum Master

Hmmm, thats an interesting theory there LordBryn. The only real argument I can think of against this other than the mystery one is the Directors Cut episodes. Now correct me if I'm wrong but these are the original episodes. The extra scenes were cut after being approved by Anno. Now in episode 24 there is a particularly revealing scene between Kaowru and Seele.

DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT ENTAILS

It actually gives a pretty good idea of the differences between Gendous and the comittees agenda. It says that both want to open Pandora's box and begin Third Impact but Ikari wants it opened and then closed again, ie. not to complete the evolution of mankind. The directors cut give a bit more insight into the motivations between episodes 25 & 26 as an ending. There was a link posted here with captures and scripting from the deleted scenes for all of those interested.
Old 28-06-2001, 12:26 PM   #6   [permalink]
Ryoma
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Ryoma
Lord Byrn, I agree 100% on the fact he did plan to make a movie or OVA. The scenes of Misato and Ritsuko in eps 25 and 26 provide pretty good proof that at least something was planned. I mean they had no bearing on eps 25 and 26 at all, so why include them unless it was to provide a glimpse into what would become the movie. There is a theory in the underground which is Eva fandom that the movies were planned all along, and that there would have been a happy ending, a la Nadia, if not for Anno's hatred of the fans dislike of eps 25 and 26. I think he was wrong for doing it, but for gods sake he was getting death threats over a damn tv show. So that's why we ended up with the EoE we love/hate.
Isamu1122 [12:35 AM]: I know, I'm not trying to bag her, but it would be worth seeing the dejected looks on the others after I did bag her
Akerman [12:35 AM]: Yes, that would be worth it.
Akerman [12:35 AM]: Its funny...
Isamu1122 [12:35 AM]: I'm just full of quotes tonite
Isamu1122 [12:36 AM]: almost as good as ordering a cheeseburger without cheese and a hamburger with cheese, then complaining that the burgers are mixed up and you got a hamburger and a cheeseburger instead
Akerman [12:36 AM]: Now thats a good one too...
Old 28-06-2001, 01:10 PM   #7   [permalink]
Lordbryn
Forum Junkie

Ryoma, your point about Misato and Ritsuko in ep 25 is exactly what I'm talking about. They have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SERIES and only make sense in the movies. Remember when Hyuga and Misato were talking about how construction had started on units 05 through 13, that scene not only had no bearing with anything else that happened in the series, but unless you had previous knowledge of what happened in the movies, that entire exchange between the two is completely forgetable.

So why was such a completely 'forgetable' scene added in the first place? It wasn't like the mentioning of units 05-13 were made in passing, this was a completely seperate scene that centered around that conversation. I can understand wanting to leave some secrets just that, secret. But why make so many little hints and foreshadowing and leave them be? There were already a ton of major things left unaswered, Instrumentality, Rei's true nature, SEELE's plans, what is Lilith and of what importance is it, etc. These alone secured the entire mystery of Evangelion right there, there was no need for even more 'little' secrets.

Last edited by Lordbryn; 28-06-2001 at 01:23 PM.
Old 28-06-2001, 01:15 PM   #8   [permalink]
Lordbryn
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ura
Hmmm, thats an interesting theory there LordBryn. The only real argument I can think of against this other than the mystery one is the Directors Cut episodes. Now correct me if I'm wrong but these are the original episodes.
The 'Original' episodes as I understand it are the ones that were dubbed in the states and elsewhere. When the movies were coming out, there was another run of the series, this time with the added scenes, too late to be added to the dubs that made it out of Japan. I don't remember if they were released before or after the movies though.
Old 28-06-2001, 01:30 PM   #9   [permalink]
Ikari_Asuka_Langley
Forum Master

So you're saying the director's cut came AFTER the series? Although... this would explain the major difference in the animation quality and style of them...
Old 28-06-2001, 05:03 PM   #10   [permalink]
Lordbryn
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ikari_Asuka_Langley
So you're saying the director's cut came AFTER the series? Although... this would explain the major difference in the animation quality and style of them...
Here's your answer, taken from www.evaotaku.com

Quote:
WWW.EVAOTAKU.COM

• What are the "Director's Cut" episodes?

The Director's Cut episodes of Evangelion encompass episodes 21 through 24. The Japanese release of Genesis' 11 and 12 on VHS, LD, and DVD contain re-edited versions of the original episodes aired on television. These episodes now contain the new scenes originally shown during the DEATH portion of the various edits (there are three versions of DEATH to date. One is the original version shown in theaters, another is the version shown on the Japanese satellite TV station "WoWoW" and the third is the version shown during the re-release of The End of Evangelion in theaters) of the first Evangelion film, Evangelion: DEATH & REBIRTH. They also contain scenes that were specifically animated for the Japanese home video release.

This is why the world wide release outside Japan doesn't contain the cuts. The director's cuts were not part of the original showing of Evangelion which is what we have. As to why the cuts weren't part of the original run on Television, I don't know for sure. My guess is, after reading the scripts from the added scenes, that they gave away more of the story than Anno wanted too. For instance, Asuka's fight with the 15th Angel is turned into a self-criticism like with Shinji and the 12th. Also a couple of scenes suggested a Shinji/Asuka relationship more as well as hinting to Rei's true nature **which is revealed in the battle with the 16th** I can see why he cut those, too keep the story from revealing itself early.
Old 28-06-2001, 10:11 PM   #11   [permalink]
Ura
Forum Master

I just threw that in there as a possibility. I do believe that there was originally going to be a movie ending tying up all of the loose ends. I can't see so many plot points being cut off. Such as the ongoing theme on Why is Unit-01 so important, whats going to happen after all of the Angels are Destroyed, what is Gendou and Seeles true agenda, what part does Rei play in Instrumentality and numerous others.

There are just too many loose ends for Anno to simply forget to continue with.

Now I can see Ryomas argument of EoE being darkened to reflect the fans reaction to 25-26. If I were in his shoes and people reacted the same way I'd probably do a similar thing.
Old 29-06-2001, 03:01 PM   #12   [permalink]
Satoru
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Satoru
I've read somewhere that episode 25 of EoE was Anno's original version of it.

And episode 26 of the series was the original idea for the ending.

"Tudo é nada nessa vida vazia." - SW.
"A felicidade é uma mentira e a mentira é salvação." - Renato Russo
"I believe in never... I believe in all the way... But belief is not to notice, belief is just some faith! And faith can't help you to escape..." - Billy Corgan
Old 30-06-2001, 09:51 PM   #13   [permalink]
ShigeruAoba52
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to ShigeruAoba52
I like how there were questions unanswered; it makes the viewer think, not like most things where everything is summed up and answered at the end. But for Evangelion, I don't think there is a set ending (excluding the movies). It is in the viewer's minds' that the real "end" exists.

"You possess a false body and a fake soul."
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami to Rei Ayanami, Evangelion Episode 25
Old 30-06-2001, 10:04 PM   #14   [permalink]
Killjoy
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Quote:
Originally posted by ShigeruAoba52
I like how there were questions unanswered; it makes the viewer think, not like most things where everything is summed up and answered at the end. But for Evangelion, I don't think there is a set ending (excluding the movies). It is in the viewer's minds' that the real "end" exists.
Aren't you taking it a little too far? Sounds a little bit too much like the maniacal ramblings of someone who explains everything with a "we see through a glass darkly" explanation, or "He chooses to work His miracles in mysteirous ways." I love the endings, but they definitely don't exist purely in the viewer's mind--they're pretty clear cut.

Anyway, I definitely think that Anno had the other ending (movie ending) in mind while he was creating the series, and probably just ran out of money to create the expensive effects needed to pull off the EoE. Another reference made in the series that only effects the movies that I don't think was mentioned is the power-outage, the purpose of which was for another organization to map out the facilities.
Old 01-07-2001, 12:58 PM   #15   [permalink]
evasoul
Forum Junkie

i don't think it was done intentionally really. anno was building the series up to a climax... but financial problems limited him to the series ending which he probably thought was enough... he was done with eva. ep 25 "air" as i read in an article b4 was really his original idea as is ep 26 of the series, as satoru stated. so he wasn't really planning to make the movies and was probably only forced to do so. the huge profit was really a good added bonus for him as well...