Old 27-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #1   [permalink]
Lengis
Forum Junkie

Ideon is a little overrated

No where else to post this, so I guess I'll post it here. It's a tomino mecha series after all.

Well I just finished watching the entire Ideon series, and I question it's ranking as the so called, "Most powerful mecha ever".

IMO its power is greatly overexaggerated. I was under the impression that it's Wave Leader Cannon could destroy entire galaxies. This was never demonstrated. It was able to destroy a lot, but it was never actually shown being able to even destroy a planet. It was able to destroy a moon though....

Its most impressive feat was being able to chop a planet in half with its swords of light. Again, I was under the impression that its swords had infinite length, also it wasn't a quick chop, but took quite a while for the swords to penetrate through the planet's crust. Still impressive ofcourse, but not what I expected.

Defensively it didn't make much sense. It seemed to take damage from all the weak mecha weapons the Buff Clan used, but a nuke was only able to burn off part of its shoulder. It also made you wonder why not just launch nothing nukes at them instead of wasting time with those hideous looking mecha? Or even better, use the sublight missiles...

Most importantly of all, the Ideon itself was destroyed by a weapon that could destroy entire planets (large ones even). And when it blew up, it didn't exactly destroy the whole universe like I was told. It never demonstrated this. It did blow up the surrounding area including the weapon that destroyed Ideon, but that's all.

In all fairness though, I still can't think of any mecha that has power comparable to Ideon. RahXephon, and even Gundam seemed to have better "practical" weapons though. Aside from its 3 super weapons which aren't practical for use on a planet, its armament consists of dinky missiles and glenn cannons which seem weaker than beam cannons from gundam.

Anyway, just wanted to share this with anyone who was mislead like I was. Still a cool anime though. Glad they put human sized lightsabers in this, I always thought they should have been in gundam.

"This one is called Vegeta's Big Bang Attack BIGGU BUNG ATTACKYA!!"
Lengis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #2   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

Were you watching this primarily to compare it to Eva?

How did it feel?
Old 28-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #3   [permalink]
Lengis
Forum Junkie

It reminded me more of Gundam Seed than of Eva TBH. The basic theme was running away from Buff Clan in a space ship while being defended by a sole mecha. Except Ideon is a million times better than Gundam Seed, and Cosmo isn't a whiney brat who cries 24/7 like Kira.

Old 28-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #4   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

IMO its power is greatly overexaggerated. I was under the impression that it's Wave Leader Cannon could destroy entire galaxies.

Egads ... I would think that this would be an exaggeration?? If not, where is the suspense? Gunbuster would have been over in one episode

... in fact, most anime premise/plots would simply not apply to that level of power ...

Old 03-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #5   [permalink]
Lengis
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by SamIam
Egads ... I would think that this would be an exaggeration?? If not, where is the suspense? Gunbuster would have been over in one episode

... in fact, most anime premise/plots would simply not apply to that level of power ...

Why did you put question marks after exaggeration? Are you asking me or agreeing with me? I'm not sure what your point is, mostly because I can't understand what you are even trying to say.

I was simply under the impression that Ideon could destroy a lot more based on what I heard from some of the people on this forum, and some others. I'm not saying it should have been stronger, or that the story would have been better if it was.