Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2003, 02:39 PM   #1   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie
 
TeldakSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 Apr 2001
Posts: 599
EoE questions (spoilers)

Don't even flame me for it but I have a few questions:

Why was the movie made?
Everyone says, "Oh the tv ending sucks...need closure...etcetcetce". I saw absolutely none of that.

Why the heck does it feature shinji doing .... that....!?
Yeah, I know, he's 15 years old, male and quite possibly hormone driven, but does he ever show it in the series? Not nearly to that degree!

And if that is 24 prime and 25 prime, why is shinji just utterly insane out of the blue? Did he just wake up that way?

Why didn't NERV have a substantial cache of weaponry?
They say in there that, yes, the defense budget had been whittled away, but they were only attacked by angels in the series. Towards the end, the angel attacks tended to do less damage, if anything. So where are the N2 weapons that the world so happily used against them?

What merits does the movie have, in your eyes?

In my eyes, it has absolutely none. They just seem to have some nifty animation, alongside too many shots of nude rei with gendo, wonderfully and blissfully psychotics that weren't touched by the series, too much male masturbation, no closure whatsoever, worthless but good fight scenes, and way too much focus on the violence. I really hated it. Really really hated it. I spent $20 and got that? :: sigh ::
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #2   [permalink]
Lordbryn
Forum Junkie
 
Lordbryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Mar 2001
Location: My other car is a 3 story mech.
Posts: 875
Re: EoE questions (spoilers)

Quote:
Originally posted by TeldakSS
Don't even flame me for it but I have a few questions:

Why was the movie made?
Everyone says, "Oh the tv ending sucks...need closure...etcetcetce". I saw absolutely none of that.
The movie was the original planned ending of eva but was scrapped due to lack of funds. You can really see that point in several of the last episodes were they used still shots that lasted over a minute *the elevator scene, Karou and Eva-01* to save money.

Also you can see how the movie was originally planned by several hints dropped in the series that never materialised until the movie was released. Hyuga mentioning how Evas 5-13 were being built *the mass production evas* for instance.


Quote:
Why the heck does it feature shinji doing .... that....!?
Yeah, I know, he's 15 years old, male and quite possibly hormone driven, but does he ever show it in the series? Not nearly to that degree!
One of the most disturbing, and best scenes, on the state of Shinji's mind by the end of the series. He is SOOOO desperate to find even the smallest bit of happiness, but is then disgusted by himself for doing it. "I'm scum, I'm the lowest of the low" It shows how desperate he is for happiness and how little he values himself at the same time.


Quote:
And if that is 24 prime and 25 prime, why is shinji just utterly insane out of the blue? Did he just wake up that way?
This follows immeaditely after he kills Karou, the only person to tell him that they love him. The final scene of episode 24 doesn't nearly go to the length to show how much killing him has destroyed Shinji, heart and soul. Couple with the fact that he knows Rei is a clone, Misato has shut herself off from the world, and that little thing with Asuka *he went there since she was 'the only one that could help him'* and you'd be pretty messed up too.


Quote:
Why didn't NERV have a substantial cache of weaponry?
They say in there that, yes, the defense budget had been whittled away, but they were only attacked by angels in the series. Towards the end, the angel attacks tended to do less damage, if anything. So where are the N2 weapons that the world so happily used against them?
What good would N2 weapons have done against troops once they got inside the compound, since they were pretty much already inside before they were noticed. Even then, the only delivery system NERV had to deliver such a weapon was the Evas, and their pilots weren't exactly fit to pilot.

Also, like it was mentioned in the movie, NERV was designed to stop terroristic actions not a full scale assault.

Quote:
What merits does the movie have, in your eyes?
Episodes 25 and 26 were the psychological aspect of the Third Impact, with a few glimpses of what was happening in reality *Misato and Ritsuko laying dead by gunshot wounds*. What did Shinji go through as he experienced it and ultimately rejected it? While that shows how he rejected it, it doesn't exactly show what Third Impact was.

Episodes 25' and 26' is what answered that. It was the reverse of the series, what was happening in reality with just glimpses of Shinji's mind toward the end. It showed how it came about and what it's effect *and goal* was on the entire world.

Quote:
In my eyes, it has absolutely none. They just seem to have some nifty animation, alongside too many shots of nude rei with gendo, wonderfully and blissfully psychotics that weren't touched by the series, too much male masturbation, no closure whatsoever, worthless but good fight scenes, and way too much focus on the violence. I really hated it. Really really hated it. I spent $20 and got that? :: sigh ::
You are the first person I've seen that has disliked the movie to this degree that I can remember. I think it is an integral part of the series that illustrates the destruction of Shinji Ikari and his rebirth. It solves several mysteries, while leaving more than enough for us to guess on.

As for the ending, it was perfect for the series. A happy golucky ending would have ruined it, yet as depressing as the ending was it was in a way a happy ending all on its own. Shinji and Asuka found themselves and decided they could live. The rest of the world was able to as well if they chose to. A great ending for a great story.

Shame you didn't like it, but not everyone's cup of tea I guess
__________________
America still stands...
Lordbryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 06:52 PM   #3   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie
 
Kyrakasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2003
Location: MDwigs Selfappointed Girlfriend
Posts: 778


I would recommend you reading www.mdwigs.tk

Without End of Evangelion, NGE would be like any other mediocre anime.

With the spectacular finish that explains much of the series the Long awaited end finally comes.

I suggest you rewatch the 26 episode TV series... Most of the time people dislike EOE is because they haven't really watched the TV series and understood the characters well enough.



~_~

Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2003, 06:38 PM   #4   [permalink]
Wing Zaku 0
Senior Member
 
Wing Zaku 0's Avatar
 
Join Date: 3 Dec 2002
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 239
Damn right eoe is an epic conclution to an epic anime.

Without End of Evangelion, NGE would be like any other mediocre anime.

thats true cos the tv series left far too many doors open.

i feel the tv 25 and 26 are shinji at the end of eoe lookin back at the series and eoe itself but then again i may be wrong. but thats my view on it, just makes more sense to me

hense its mainly in his head. or maybe these are extra thoughts going on in his head that happen during 3rd impact?
Wing Zaku 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2003, 02:38 AM   #5   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie
 
TeldakSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 Apr 2001
Posts: 599
Re: Re: EoE questions (spoilers)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lordbryn
Episodes 25 and 26 were the psychological aspect of the Third Impact, with a few glimpses of what was happening in reality *Misato and Ritsuko laying dead by gunshot wounds*. What did Shinji go through as he experienced it and ultimately rejected it? While that shows how he rejected it, it doesn't exactly show what Third Impact was.

Episodes 25' and 26' is what answered that. It was the reverse of the series, what was happening in reality with just glimpses of Shinji's mind toward the end. It showed how it came about and what it's effect *and goal* was on the entire world.
I guess i'll let that explain its existence. It just felt...wrong, wierd. I was so happily surprised with the psycho-trip that were 25 and 26 that 25' and 26' disappointed me. It felt like everyone hyped them, so I went and bought it, and was thuroughly disappointed with the several-grades-lower psychological introspection. The whole series was so intriguing to me because of the doors left open, the ideas that were up to the end user to decide. I dunno. It's too late right now to make much more sense than this, so I'll stop...soon... :: runs off ::
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.