Old 06-01-2003, 12:25 PM   #1   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
what the Hell. (Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D)

Ok, someone give me some goddamn spoilers cos Im about to squint my eyes and have a -----.

Just finished watching hellsing eps 1-12.
Also recently watched Vampire HUnter D.

Why in both, do we have a vampire who works to help humans, who surpasses the abilities of a vampire, is super strong.. and at the end the main bad guy (protagonist? or is antagonist?) always says: "What are you?". In Vampire Hunter D it;s the queen ----- and she says: "Are you really the half son of the king!? Such power. What are you?" or something like that. In Hellsing it's that retard with the tattoos all over his body (calls himself 'Incognito') and after he gets his ass kicked by the main vampire (Aruclad or Arknad or some darn thing) he says: "What are you" and you see a shot which looks so similar to Vampire Hunter D of the vampire's face and of course the viewer thinks: "Yeh, what the ---- is he?" and no answer.

Both times I've pondered whether the main character could be an original Vampire or something only pretending to be weaker than they are..but of course, in Vampire Hunter D it seems pretty apparent that he isnt like the other Vampires so he must only be half.

At least in 'Blade' we know how he is the way he is. Although vampires from blade are pussies compared to anime vampires.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #2   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
In the first Vampire Hunter D, because I'm guessing you saw Bloodlust, film they revealed that D was a dhampyre, or a half human/half vampire meaning his Dad was dracula and his mom was a human. I haven't seen the sequel so I but from what you say it sounds like they sort of leave that out.

If I remember correctly, someone told me that Arucard from Hellsing was the first Vampire and was hunting weaker ones.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #3   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungAffen Send a message via MSN to AchtungAffen
Wich Vampire Hunter D have you seen? The old or the new one? Try with Blood the last vampire and you'll see a continuance of all this.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:34 PM   #4   [permalink]
black_angel
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to black_angel Send a message via Yahoo to black_angel
heres a tip

dont worry gout them just enjoy the sweetnes of over powering vampires with style that kill thing

and some differences.......

Alucard is more sarcastic

alucard uses a gun and D uses a sword

i love both these anime they rock!
Old 06-01-2003, 12:34 PM   #5   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Blood the Last Vampire doesn't have a plot let alone any background detail on Sawa.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:51 PM   #6   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

But it has a vampire lesbianism manga wich covers the hole where the plot should be, doesn't it?
Old 06-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #7   [permalink]
p1nture

Hellsing rocks! Nuff said.

The END music was great! 'Shine' by Mr. Big
p1nture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:49 PM   #8   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Hellsing wasnt all that good IMO. Like, it was ok but there wasnt much of a story or decent plot. I dont know how many Hellsing eps there are.. but if there is only 13 I am thoroughly disappointed. The Hellsing organisation basically gets completly ------ up, London gets so messed up that they'll never cover it up, the fight between Arucard and that wanker priest wasnt finished (or was it? Ep 12 didnt work for me) and that female half-vampire never really gets much character development.

Not to mention inconsitencys. Like the fact she's always walking around in broad daylight in skimpy clothes despite the fact that Walter said she shouldnt be out in the afternoon (wouldnt midday be worse?).

I think about the only really cool thing about this anime was all the SAS squads running around. If I wanted a guy with his gun I'd go for Trigun. If I wanted a touching anime about vampires, Vampire Hunter D (I get the chills from the ending of that movie). Hellsing really lacked anything fantastic. At times I thought I was watching Noir combined with Trigun and Vampire Hunter D. Anyone else feel sorry for that police lady? An eternity of lonliness and being an outcast awaits her.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:59 PM   #9   [permalink]
Bradster
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Bradster Send a message via MSN to Bradster
That's what bugged me about Bloodlust- it did that basically the exact same way the original VHD did:

Main Bad Guy Vampire, comparing D's features to the portrait of Dracula on the wall: "Can it be?! Are you truly the son of our sire?" *dies* (or something like that)

I guess it does explain why D is so strong- if Drac is his father, then he's one ancient vamphiel, and has enormous power- assuming the thing about later vampires being weaker as the original blood is diluted is "true".
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:17 PM   #10   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Is the old one Bloodlust? or the new one?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:37 AM   #11   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Prolly the old one, this one looks pretty new.

I would see 'Blood: The last Vampire' except for that I hear it sucks. I got it for my brother for xmas.

Japanese obsession with Vampires? Seems almost close to their obsession with mecha.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:11 AM   #12   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

It's irrelevant whether you saw the old Vampire D movie or the new one for the purposes of understanding D's origins. On that point, the two agree. I hated the first one with a passion, however. Rent the new one if you haven't already. The reason for the similarities is that people in general are outrageously uncreative with their vampire stories. All vampire protagonists must either be a half-vampire or a relative of Dracula or Dracula himself. They must hunt their own kind. D-the follows all the stereotypes to the letter, though it has its own special look thanks to Amano's designs. At least the new one.

Hellsing has the following points in its favor:
1) Alucard dresses like a pimp. I wouldn't want to see it in every vampire movie, but it beats the hell out of another black trenchcoat or cape and it suits his personality.
2) The vampires are all sadistic monsters who revel in their condition and a few really are monsters. I am so damn sick of angsty vampires. Sure Dracula could be romantic, but he was evil. Evil! He never whined about it!
3) Spreads the word about vampirism as an alternative to cosmetic surgery. At a rough estimate, Seras goes from a 'B' cup to a 'D' with one little bite.
4) There was really cool stuff going on with the conflict between the Anglican and Catholic churches and the bit about artificial vampires created through freak chips. Too bad they didn't do anything with it, which really kills the series.
5) Music and animation style.
6) Alexander

Blood looks like it has the makings of an interesting vampire story. Unfortunately, that's not a guess based on previews. That's my conclusion after seeing the whole movie.

Saya, the last Original sez: "Evil rules, and plot can suck it!"
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:38 AM   #13   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Throw D, Saya, and Alucard in a room and what do you get?

Probably the best vampire plot to grace an audience's eyes since the whole genre was born. Not that it'll ever happen.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:08 AM   #14   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

That Anglican/Protestant thing was interesting. I wanted to throw something at my monitor when I saw that a fansubber had translated the head chick as saying to the SAS that they had a right to be there in the name of the 'Holy Catholic Army' or something. I figured the subber had better be a non-anglo or I'd be pissed that they know so little about history that even if they didnt know she was supposed to be Protestant, that the mere fact she's a holy warrior for the queen should show she's protestant.

Oh, forgot to mention other vampire anime. One of my favourites. You know what it's gonna be.
Yes
VAMPIRE MIYU! w00t! w00t! I love Miyu. Well, the OVAs, the TV arent as cool. She's too much of a school girl in the TV. In the OVAs ya know she aint no ordinary young girl...she's badass.

I feel like I've seen other Vampire anime but I cant think of em atm. Such cool vampires. As opposed to the ------ things in Blade & BladeII.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:31 PM   #15   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Quote:
Originally posted by Dryden-san
Hellsing has the following points in its favor:
1) Alucard dresses like a pimp. I wouldn't want to see it in every vampire movie, but it beats the hell out of another black trenchcoat or cape and it suits his personality.
2) The vampires are all sadistic monsters who revel in their condition and a few really are monsters. I am so damn sick of angsty vampires. Sure Dracula could be romantic, but he was evil. Evil! He never whined about it!.
5) Music and animation style.
1) Oh yeah. Except the first time I saw his coat and glasses, I thought "Vash?"
2) Damn right. I love angst, but sometimes it's just nice to see a vampire who actually loves to be a vampire. Alucard cracks me up.
5) The music for this series is some of the best I've heard. It makes for an awesome cd... I even forced my parents to listen to it one time when they were trapped and couldn't escape... and they liked it! The animation style, though... I like the character designs, except I think they could have made Sera less fanservice and more utilitarian. She's supposed to be fighting vampires, and she's running around in that kind of a skirt? Come on! Put some pants on! Sheesh.

Quote:
PKO:
Oh, forgot to mention other vampire anime. One of my favourites. You know what it's gonna be.
Yes
VAMPIRE MIYU! w00t! w00t! I love Miyu. Well, the OVAs, the TV arent as cool. She's too much of a school girl in the TV. In the OVAs ya know she aint no ordinary young girl...she's badass.
Oh yeah! I loved the OVAs... the TV eps aren't as good. Someone in another thread called them "monster-of-the-week"... and that's just what they are. A little tedious, after awhile, but the OVAs are still just as fascinating even after watching them too many times to count.

dheu

Last edited by dheu; 07-01-2003 at 02:32 PM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote